FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New MD guy here...  (Read 8721 times)

peterelli

New MD guy here...
« on: Jul 27, 2011, 07:22 PM »
Hi All,

Thanks to "Fat Boy" for linking me over here.  Looks like another great forum.

Any bassclubs in or near Frederick?  Looking to join and also learn the area.

I have a 17' Tracker that I want to take out but looks like a good drive for any big lakes.
Any suggestions would be great.

Dargens Bend is on my list.

Thanks
Peter

WildOutdoorAddict

• Get the net!
Re: New MD guy here...
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27, 2011, 07:24 PM »
Welcome aboard!

drobertsinMaryland

« Reply #2 on: Jul 27, 2011, 07:32 PM »
Alright! Another MD guy welcome. 8)

We could always start a club. ;D

peterelli

« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2011, 09:03 AM »
Alright! Another MD guy welcome. 8)

We could always start a club. ;D

Funny!

So I see you have a boat and live in Frederick like me... where are you launching it?

Growing up in New England.  we could pick 100 ponds/lakes to go fishing in a boat (like I have).
Seems hard to find places around here.

I have to get used to the rivers but for some odd reason, they scare the bejesus out of me! - aka Rocks!

I am going to try Dargens bend,  look low the other day when I went to look at the boat ramp.

Glad to be here!
Thanks
Peter

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Jul 28, 2011, 09:10 AM »
Welcome to the site Peter......
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

drobertsinMaryland

« Reply #5 on: Jul 28, 2011, 01:48 PM »
Funny!

So I see you have a boat and live in Frederick like me... where are you launching it?

Growing up in New England.  we could pick 100 ponds/lakes to go fishing in a boat (like I have).
Seems hard to find places around here.

I have to get used to the rivers but for some odd reason, they scare the bejesus out of me! - aka Rocks!

I am going to try Dargens bend,  look low the other day when I went to look at the boat ramp.

Glad to be here!
Thanks
Peter

I actually wasnt kidding. ;D

Do you know Fatboy personally? Heck of a nice guy, I have had the pleasure of fishing with him a few times.

Your right it is tough to find place to fish out of a boat around here unless it is the river. There are a couple of lakes within a half hour of Frederick that are trolling motor only lakes. I mainly fish Cunningham Falls lake and Black Hills. I do fish at the river but wont take my boat there. Just dont want to break it up and dont have a jet motor.

The picture in my avatar is from Deep Creek Lake. Which is about a 3 hour drive from Frederick. I just went to Raystown Lake in PA earlier this year which is actually a tad closer than Deep Creek.

peterelli

« Reply #6 on: Jul 29, 2011, 04:59 PM »
drobertsinMaryland -

I'm kinda have the same feeling.  I got a few "ok's" about Dargens Bend, which is about 30min from my house.  Fat-Boy suggested it.  Dam 4 is also fairly deep but a lot of pleasure boats ride up/down from what I am told.

Rays - Deep Creek - Lake Anna seemed to be the ones. 

I guess a lot of people use the their trolling motor on their boat at black hills I assume.  I have a 82# and prob do ok.

You have much luck at Cunningham? read it does well during the spawn and that's about it.

Potomac - DC and below.  Guess I am going to just have to read up and get in on the action.

Just was hoping to find that local place so I can head out without making it an all day adventure or hotel.

drobertsinMaryland

« Reply #7 on: Jul 29, 2011, 08:33 PM »
Fat Boy knows his river spots. ;)

Black Hills is a trolling motor only lake. I only have a 12 volt 43lb. trolling motor on my Tracker and it does fine. You would probably do laps around me.lol Went fishing there today and caught a few. Here was the biggest one on the day.

Cunningham is tough, but there are some nice fish in there. I fish there a good bit with success, especially on a drop shot in summer months. Your average fish is about 12-14 inches. Dont get me wrong big ones roam in there. If you want to fish it sometime let me know, we can meet up and fish it.

If you want to take your boat on a small lake that's close it's Black Hills or Cunnigham is your best bet.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #8 on: Jul 30, 2011, 07:57 AM »
Glad you could make it over here Peter!  Sorry about not responding sooner...been kinda busy lately.  If I'm to find any fishing time, my posting time has to give up a little, LOL.

The Lower Potomac is really a great place to take your boat and fish.  There are a LOT of good fish of all species, lot's of room to run, and plenty of low risk places to go.  I'd suggest two things, try and find a depth chart of the river and learn the general hazard areas.  Also, watch other boaters and see where they go, that's another way to learn.  If you can find a copy, get Ken Penrod's book, Fishing the Lower Potomac, there's a lot of tips on fishing and boating to and from spots in there.

Hazards to watch out for, be careful around the Wilson Bridge and above.  Below that you can pretty much go anywhere, with Mallows Bay being a spot to be careful. 

Buy that book even if it's expensive used, it's worth every penny.

Also, the Eastern Shore tidal rivers and the Patuxent are great places to run your boat and the fishing is excellent!  One more spot that I didn't mention is the Susquehanna Flats and Conowingo Reservoir.  I have yet to fish up there but I'd imagine that the fishing is excellent.  The catch and release striper action in the spring is awesome there from what I've read.   I can't help you with specifics on that area.

We don't have the lakes in Maryland, but the rivers are awesome, especially the tidal waters.

Dave, thanks for the compliments!

peterelli

« Reply #9 on: Jul 30, 2011, 04:18 PM »
Fat Boy - Big thanks!  every bit helps..

It's funny you mention books... I just bought off amazon

Ken Penrods:
Fishing the Upper Potomac
Fishing the Tidal Potomac (shot of Washington Monument on cover)
10 Best - includes, Potomac, Lake Anna, Deep Creek, etc

Deep Creek by Tim Doolan

There was a "Fishing Lake Anna" by a local guide but it's out of print.

I think the Upper Potomac maybe just too risky for me and since my fishing partner is my 7yr daughter, I side on the safe side.
She will like Black Hills....

So anyone want to give up some Black Hills info?  best tackle, some spots?

-Peter

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #10 on: Jul 30, 2011, 10:33 PM »
Fat Boy - Big thanks!  every bit helps..

It's funny you mention books... I just bought off amazon

Ken Penrods:
Fishing the Upper Potomac
Fishing the Tidal Potomac (shot of Washington Monument on cover)
10 Best - includes, Potomac, Lake Anna, Deep Creek, etc

Deep Creek by Tim Doolan

There was a "Fishing Lake Anna" by a local guide but it's out of print.

I think the Upper Potomac maybe just too risky for me and since my fishing partner is my 7yr daughter, I side on the safe side.
She will like Black Hills....

So anyone want to give up some Black Hills info?  best tackle, some spots?

-Peter

It depends on the time of year.  The fish are probably deeper now than the cooler months except early morning and evenings.  Fish soft plastics in 6-12' of water when the sun comes up.  During low light try topwaters like Pop-Rs.  Senkos should be good now.  Find the edges of weed beds and you'll find some fish.  Woody cover along deep water will hold bass too especially early and late.  During the summer, the channel around the bend from the boat rentals is a good place to try.  Also, fish deep off the points with the soft plastics.  Smaller soft plastic worms will get you numbers, but bigger worms could get you bigger bass.

Panfish are plentiful.  Fly rod poppers could be good right now for bluegills.  Kids will get plenty of action with floats and nightcrawlers for bluegills and jigs or minnows for crappie.

There are a couple night fishing dates coming up.  I think one is August 10th.  Black spinnerbaits and pop-r's could be hot for nighttime largemouth.

bassfreak101

« Reply #11 on: Apr 28, 2012, 07:32 PM »
Hi All,

Thanks to "Fat Boy" for linking me over here.  Looks like another great forum.

Any bassclubs in or near Frederick?  Looking to join and also learn the area.

I have a 17' Tracker that I want to take out but looks like a good drive for any big lakes.
Any suggestions would be great.

Dargens Bend is on my list.

Thanks
Peter
[im in jr potomac bassmasters the also have an adult club]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.