FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: How do you guys hook your herring for stripers???  (Read 2461 times)

gunner1

How do you guys hook your herring for stripers???
« on: Apr 29, 2005, 07:27 PM »
I've been having problems with them coming off the hook on the cast. I use light/medium wire circle hooks size 7/0. I hook them through the back near the dorsal fin, Is it better to hook them through the mouth or maybe through the nostrils? How about through the belly near the anal fin? Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated- the herring are scarce and when paying $2 each, I don't want to just "fling" them back!

Deposit

Re: How do you guys hook your herring for stripers???
« Reply #1 on: Apr 29, 2005, 07:37 PM »
I would use a little bigger hook. If your are using live herring hook it through the bottom of the jaw and up through the nostril. If your fishing from a baot you do not really need to cast it very far, from shore however cast with a long heavy rod over hand style but do not try to wing it out there.

Bartman44

« Reply #2 on: Apr 29, 2005, 08:07 PM »
I use 8/0 circle hooks and I hook them in the mouth bottom to top. Never had a problem.

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2005, 08:14 PM »
yep, hook them from the bottom to the top of the head. There is a sweet spot in there forehead that I like to come up through.
Wait wait to throw those herring.  ;D
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

gunner1

« Reply #4 on: Apr 29, 2005, 08:44 PM »
yep, hook them from the bottom to the top of the head. There is a sweet spot in there forehead that I like to come up through.
Wait wait to throw those herring.  ;D

Does it cut down their life expectancy or livliness as oppossed to hooking through the back?

STRIPER

« Reply #5 on: Apr 29, 2005, 09:07 PM »
Here is a great idea.No HOOK in the fish.Take a thin plastic wire tie.Put it through the herrings nostrils.Slip your hook in the wire tie and pull it snug.clip off the end and your herring will be good all day until it is slammed by a fish.Good Luck

gunner1

« Reply #6 on: Apr 29, 2005, 09:24 PM »
Here is a great idea.No HOOK in the fish.Take a thin plastic wire tie.Put it through the herrings nostrils.Slip your hook in the wire tie and pull it snug.clip off the end and your herring will be good all day until it is slammed by a fish.Good Luck

Do you face the hook up or out?

STRIPER

« Reply #7 on: Apr 29, 2005, 09:31 PM »
The hook point will be facing the herrings mouth.On top of his head.Experiment with zip ties they help alot.

gunner1

« Reply #8 on: Apr 30, 2005, 12:58 PM »
I use 8/0 circle hooks and I hook them in the mouth bottom to top. Never had a problem.

I went fishing this morning and took your advice. The herring wound up dying. I was just wondering if you think your method is better suited for fishing from a boat. I fish solely from shore. My girlfriend's grandfather was fishing with me and only put it through the top jaw then the forehead and that d**n thing lived for over two hours and we released it after we were done fishing! Thanks for the tip though, it was definately worth a shot! ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.