FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 565750 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #2130 on: Jun 20, 2013, 05:36 AM »
hey if anyone  has a  old  lamiglass  9  wt  blank  they  want to  get rid off  contact  me!    great salt water  blank  right there! 

rg  sounds  like  you'll be  having  fun!  water  in the canal system  here is  dropping fast  and  i  think  things will be  back to normal  soon, i think  the  dropping  may  have  turned the fish off but it  should  be short  lived ....the  water is  much  cleaner  and i seen alot of  boats  go threw the  locks  yesterday ....still be  careful  it's still high  and  still has  alot of  logs  floating around
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

choo choo

« Reply #2131 on: Jun 20, 2013, 06:22 AM »
Wound up a 72" fluorocarbon furled leader last evening to use as a sinking shock leader for the carp rig. Not sure I'm happy with it. It doesn't stretch as much as I would like. I'll probably do one with 4lb green stren. I think I'll get a bit more stretch with that.

I decided to test everything with my 9' 9wt Lamiglas rod before trying the "Boo". I built it many years ago for pike and bass and I know it will handle a big fish. I have a nice Pfleuger 1495A in the collection. I put an 8wt sink tip on it. The furled leaders made from mono sink nicely and I'm hoping that with the lead core/hair rig it won't require any additional weight for use in the canal. For carp I feel the less weight they feel on the line, the better.

I have a spool of 12 lb lead core which may be adequate, but I'm going to pick up a spool of 30lb to try as well. I'm using #6 Matzuo Sickle hooks. They seem a good choice as a modified circle hook and have a wider gape. I'll post some pics of the rigs tonight.

I bought some 3/16 steel rod yesterday to fabricate my rod holders. Store bought seem overpriced and over built.

Hoping for a reasonably short work day today. I'm itching to give it a go.

Choo Choo, I meant to tell you, I love the Tin Man in the tree :clapping:

RG
That tin man is on my campground neighbors site and he's made out of tomatoe sauce and paste cans ,soup cans etc. and funnel .His wife Mary took the bad cell phone picture...but I will tell him you like his tin man!
Looking forward to seeing your rod holders when finished.
I'm fishing my way through life .

choo choo

« Reply #2132 on: Jun 20, 2013, 08:07 AM »
Wound up a 72" fluorocarbon furled leader last evening to use as a sinking shock leader for the carp rig. Not sure I'm happy with it. It doesn't stretch as much as I would like. I'll probably do one with 4lb green stren. I think I'll get a bit more stretch with that.

I decided to test everything with my 9' 9wt Lamiglas rod before trying the "Boo". I built it many years ago for pike and bass and I know it will handle a big fish. I have a nice Pfleuger 1495A in the collection. I put an 8wt sink tip on it. The furled leaders made from mono sink nicely and I'm hoping that with the lead core/hair rig it won't require any additional weight for use in the canal. For carp I feel the less weight they feel on the line, the better.

I have a spool of 12 lb lead core which may be adequate, but I'm going to pick up a spool of 30lb to try as well. I'm using #6 Matzuo Sickle hooks. They seem a good choice as a modified circle hook and have a wider gape. I'll post some pics of the rigs tonight.

I bought some 3/16 steel rod yesterday to fabricate my rod holders. Store bought seem overpriced and over built.

Hoping for a reasonably short work day today. I'm itching to give it a go.

Choo Choo, I meant to tell you, I love the Tin Man in the tree :clapping:

RG
RG..before you buy another spool of lead core,some fly shops have this knotable sinking lead type coated wire,that makes terrific sink tips or shooting heads. It comes on a big spool and you can buy it by the foot.Reasonably priced.There are different diameters,and they go by their sink rates. The start at like 2" inches per second...4" ips...6"ips...10"inches per second. Spey fisherman use it a lot instead of split shot on the leaders. Sinks  through the water nice and Slides over the bottom nice and doesn't  spin,dig,or get hung up like split shot does. I bought some of it ,with different sink rates at Malindas Fly Shop in Altmar NY.

KingPerch

« Reply #2133 on: Jun 20, 2013, 02:48 PM »
berkley  solar  .....  KP  that  picture  was  in  pheonix  where  we  all  went  perch  fishing  ......  was  fun  thinking  of   catfishing  tonight 
I kinda figured that's where you were...Iv'e been there so many times...I know what the gravel along the shoreline looks like. ;) ;D

Just wanted to make sure you weren't using braid!! ;D

Yes, the bronzebacks are now in trouble. ;)..Jr. and my daughter have finished the school year!! Both finished up passing with flying colors I might add!! Very proud of both of them!! Jr. has officially entered the work world, working with Dad!! ;)

Life is good!!--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

KingPerch

« Reply #2134 on: Jun 20, 2013, 02:53 PM »
I went carpin' for a couple of hours after work yesterday. Trying some Euro style rigs with lead core leader and pop up hair rigs. As usual....I have a bunch of euro style components ordered ::) Baiting and tying needles, coated leader, baits and stuff. I'm going to master some rigs and then adapt them to the fly rod.

I was also thinking that I might adapt my furled leaders to a hair rig.....A mind is a terrible thing!

There's a 10', 10wt bamboo in my collection that I'd like to use. It was gifted to me by a breakfast buddy. His Granddad used it for salmon on the Miramichi River. I'm told he rebuilt the rod shortly before passing. Don't know how he'd feel about me using it for carp, but I'm thinking he'd rather see it fished than in a closet.

I have a perfect reel for it in my collection . A nice old South Bend.

Streams are still way up and muddy so I may as well play with something else. Just one more style of fishing to enjoy, added to my repertoire. Besides, I love catching carp ;D

I may need KP and crew to build me an addition if this addiction continues.

RG
Free foam bugs and flies....will travel...I'm game!! and, of course, some of that venison sausage with the Old Farts at breakfast!! ;)--KP 8)

KingPerch

« Reply #2135 on: Jun 20, 2013, 02:57 PM »
TRAP how stable is your YAK ? And is there much of a back rest on it ?                                                 KP  what are they doing  with  the sunnys and perch ? sunnys are my go to catfish bait !
Fishing for them...and....eating them, of course!! ;D--KP 8)

I saw two guys pounding them sunnies and bluegills today. Man, is it tough to work 50' from the water and the flyrod is home..... :-\

Dark Cloud

« Reply #2136 on: Jun 20, 2013, 03:01 PM »
Well guess which furture flyfishers birthday is today?

Wow does a year go by freakin fast!
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

KingPerch

« Reply #2137 on: Jun 20, 2013, 03:05 PM »
A YEAR?....ALREADY??? Wow, does time fly!! Two beautiful kids there Jay!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the both of them!! Good stuff bud!!--KP 8)

black55

« Reply #2138 on: Jun 20, 2013, 03:30 PM »
Well guess which furture flyfishers birthday is today?

Wow does a year go by freakin fast!

DC Happy BIRTHDAY to your twins they were born on a great day, which just happens to be my birthday to ! ! just 58 yrs earlier ! !
I live in the great state of Dazed and Confused !

black55

« Reply #2139 on: Jun 20, 2013, 03:53 PM »
Fishing for them...and....eating them, of course!! ;D--KP 8)

I saw two guys pounding them sunnies and bluegills today. Man, is it tough to work 50' from the water and the flyrod is home..... :-\
Sorry KP i was asking choo about the bait shop that was buying sunnys and perch  , i don't think it would be legal to sell or buy them .
I live in the great state of Dazed and Confused !

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #2140 on: Jun 20, 2013, 04:49 PM »
Good looking kids. Looks like the one on the left is going to be a "hippie". Peace sign already....hunts2long

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
« Reply #2141 on: Jun 20, 2013, 04:59 PM »
Cute as a button, Happy Birthday! And a congratulations out to the proud parents!
KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

KingPerch

« Reply #2142 on: Jun 20, 2013, 04:59 PM »
 DC Happy BIRTHDAY to your twins they were born on a great day, which just happens to be my birthday to ! ! just 58 yrs earlier ! !
All good black55..some baitshops can buy and sell!!  ;)  Happy B-lated Birthday bud!! ;)--KP 8)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2143 on: Jun 20, 2013, 05:35 PM »
happy  birthday  to  the  little  flyfisherman  and  to mr  black   :thumbup_smilie:
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

choo choo

« Reply #2144 on: Jun 20, 2013, 06:17 PM »
Happy Birthday Twins !!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.