FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Mono or Superbraid?  (Read 9414 times)

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
Mono or Superbraid?
« on: Feb 28, 2004, 05:58 PM »
I have one good baitcaster,  what kind of line should I use?  I am looking for a good all around line for jiggin,  wormin,  and other general applications.

asphalt_kid

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Anybody seen my ice auger?????
Re: Mono or Superbraid?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 29, 2004, 12:08 AM »
I prefer Mono.
 just my .02

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Feb 29, 2004, 09:20 AM »
Hey Kid,

I figured that you would.  Why do you prefer mono and what kind do you use.  I would figure 12ld test should be a good middle of the road line,  do you agree with this assesment?  I have had Fireline on since I got it and I really like it,  but I want to know if there is a better way to go about things.  I know another way to go about things is to add a mono leader to the braid.  The sensitivity in the braid is great,  but I still don't know what I am feeling down there.  There are lots of variables to this game and I want to get them figuired out this year.  Thanks for the help!!!!

fishboy899

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2004, 08:09 PM »
I also liek mono.  I like 12 or 17lb test depending on what kind of structure or  whatever I am fishing.  I use rapala fishing line.  I rarely break the line.
A 17 yr. old that is addicted already.

Bean

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2004, 06:30 AM »
I'm really happy with power-pro superbraid and a mono leader. I tie them together with a uni-uni knot. I really like the sensitivity of this line. You have to remember to not set the hook like you do with mono though.
Ken A.

jigginstick

« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2004, 03:26 PM »
I like mono most of the time but use braid on scum frogs for long line hook sets and the fact the braid will float better than the mono.
Jig,Jig,Jig

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2004, 04:34 PM »
The only thing that I don't like about braid on baitcasting equipment is that sometimes the line digs in and when you make the next cast, so much force is put on the knot that you lose your lure (on a long cast attempt).  Doesn't happen often, but I've lost a couple lures that way (spiderwire).  And, my knots are good, so that ain't it.

Nothing like seeing your favorite lure go flying farther than any human can cast.

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2004, 05:06 PM »
These are good answers and I appreciate the reply,  but I guess I am still not sold one way or the other.  I guess I need the solid sell.

SuperX2

• Giv'em The One Four
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2004, 07:46 AM »
I fish lots of Tourny's in a years time and spend around 100-120 days a year fishing, I have used all kinds of lines and always find myself going back to mono. I like Berkley's XT or XL  in the 17lb, low vis green.  I don't break off that often and when I do it was usually my fault. I too have had the superbraid backlash from the previous hard hookset and it stinks watching a $9.00 lure fly off to the promise land. Vanish is okay but stiff. I use only 17lb or 20lb mono all year and never have any problems.

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2004, 05:00 PM »
Thankyou all for your participation,  but I think I have a winner.  SuperX2 has won the speak to me contest.  The XT and XL are my mono lines of choice.  Why do you use 17lb,  isn't smaller diameter what it's all about?  Ok,  that's right,  this is Bass fishing.  Thanks for the help with my choice this year guys.

SuperX2

• Giv'em The One Four
« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2004, 06:07 AM »
What I have found in our semi-clear waters in NY is the line makes no difference to the fish (usually). What the line does for you is lure presentation and depth of running.  I catch just as many dinks as hogs with 17lb line all year. I doubt fish are smart enough to say "Hay that looks like Trilene XL don't bite it".

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: Mar 05, 2004, 05:16 PM »
I guess I didn't care what the fish thought,  I am asking from a mechanics and performance perspective.  Also,  they are usually smarter than me.  :)

wnybassman

• The Real "No Good"
« Reply #12 on: Mar 05, 2004, 05:48 PM »
I fish lots of Tourny's in a years time and spend around 100-120 days a year fishing, I have used all kinds of lines and always find myself going back to mono. I like Berkley's XT or XL  in the 17lb, low vis green.  I don't break off that often and when I do it was usually my fault. I too have had the superbraid backlash from the previous hard hookset and it stinks watching a $9.00 lure fly off to the promise land. Vanish is okay but stiff. I use only 17lb or 20lb mono all year and never have any problems.

You took the words right out of my mouth!  I to have tried different "super" lines and find myself always going back.  Largemouth lines are 10, 12 and 20 lb Stren Extra Strength and most my smallie fishing is done with 8 lb Vanish.  Of coarse I vary from time to time depending what I'm doing, but it usually boils down to that.

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2004, 09:02 AM »
These are good answers and I appreciate the reply,  but I guess I am still not sold one way or the other.  I guess I need the solid sell.
mike i dont think this will help you but what the hell ?both lines have thier pros and cons as all of these guys have pointed out,the decidind factor for me believe it or not is i prefer 12# mono because when its time for retying jigs and lures and hooks ...i can bite through the line ;D  i have a little spot where my canine tooth is sharp enough to cut the line making my knot tying one step easier...for the record i can bit through 20#flourocarbon with ease :P
Scotty 

Cider

« Reply #14 on: Mar 06, 2004, 02:04 PM »
I don't like braid on a baitcaster because it either slips on the spool when you have a fish on or digs in tight and your next cast is a disaster.  Backlashes with it are tough to deal with.  You can't cut it with your teeth if you forget your hemostats and it doesn't have any stretch to it.

I don't think sensitivity in a baitcasting set-up is super important anyway.  The rods are very stiff so I think what sensitivity you get from mono is enough.  Besides, bass hit hard enough that you will know it.

I like trilene and cortland mono. 10-12lb test on my shimano baitcasters.

just my .02

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.