FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Good NY Trip! (Don’t Ask ;) )  (Read 5997 times)

CLAMFARMER

Good NY Trip! (Don’t Ask ;) )
« on: Nov 01, 2019, 05:37 PM »
Got to my brother, Keith’s, Tuesday night. Hadn’t rained as much as we would have  liked.

The streams where generally too clear. We did see some fish in a couple of them but they weren’t interested. Met a a couple really good and knowledgeable guys at the first place. One, Jeff, is an Alaska and Africa fishing guide. The other was a local that fished nearly daily in local water. Both were informative and friendly. While the fish weren’t cooperating, we exchanged lots of good stories, had some good laughs and learned stuff. NICE!

We road around and saw pretty much the same or lesser conditions..... low, clear and empty!  :’(

Finally we found a stream with some color. It rained more at the headwaters of this bit of water. Nice light green flow. AND There were fish! My brother hooked up and landed two nice female landlockeds to my zero. I was able to land one nice one about the same size later on. First one ever for me on the “pin rig”. Interesting methodology!

Keith with his first one (Sorry about the blocked scenery, but we are sworn to being tip lipped)

My first one and only that first day

The next day the water had dropped and cleared some. We were among the first one there at daybreak. The fish were pretty active at first. Hooked one on the 3rd or 4th cast and lost it during acrobatics! Landed a small (20”ish)  male released. Keith went down steam a bit and had a couple fish on briefly including a large brown that spit the hook near shore. I hooked a coupe more fish. One another decent brown that I lost. I did manage one more male which I kept for the smoker or gravlax.

I hooked another fish toward the end of the day. The stream was getting clearer the whole time and we could easily see fish. Some guys were spot fishing and attempting  to appear not to be flossing.... haha. By the time we decided to leave, the fish were pretty spooked and a lot more people were showing up - after work or  school, I suppose. We headed to a walleye  river but had no luck there.

This fly guy landed this one after a long play. beautiful fish! He was released.

Interestingly,  these fish can’t successfully spawn though they go through all the motions with no viable progeny. Bummer. I have to get more info but I remember something about alewives and thiamin deficiency.

We didn’t slay them but had a great time and met some top notch folks and watched a few ding dongs!  :o 8) :thumbup_smilie: :w00t: :flag:
\"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.”<br />

filetandrelease

Re: Good NY Trip! (Don’t Ask ;) )
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2019, 06:03 PM »

Glad you fellas had some success
 Nic pics ,

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2019, 06:56 PM »
Awesome report CLAMFARMER, that's a real nice salmon you caught, looks like she could be a 2 footer+ maybe?  And man, that huge male salmon at the end is a beast! I'd be in heaven up there.

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2019, 07:06 PM »
I've been waiting for your report, Joe!  It's a good one 8)  Great quality fish. I assume you were in the Fingers. Fishing taking eggs or flies?

CLAMFARMER

« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2019, 07:08 PM »
Awesome report CLAMFARMER, that's a real nice salmon you caught, looks like she could be a 2 footer+ maybe?  And man, that huge male salmon at the end is a beast! I'd be in heaven up there.

Your report and catches were more impressive! We were drifting egg sacks on a few fish were knew were there.  You put the time in and found the spots. Having said that, the locals and serious guys there told us the main event isn’t for a couple weeks. If I can get my buck and time and money allow, plus good water conditions and reports, I may well head there again this month. It WAS a blast!!! Long drive though..... Most of the other good streams just didn’t have the flow to fish. Once there is some decent rain, there will be some wicked fishing!!!
\"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.”<br />

CLAMFARMER

« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2019, 07:17 PM »
I've been waiting for your report, Joe!  It's a good one 8)  Great quality fish. I assume you were in the Fingers. Fishing taking eggs or flies?

Thanks Jim! Mostly eggs. the bead thing wasn’t producing much there. I tried but really don’t know the rig well. I did catch the fist fish on a pin rig with egg sack. Saw one fish taken on a fly. The larger picture was a fly catch also. I have some doubts if it bit though. There was a pair of big fish like that laying there all morning and many threw everything at them. I just wonder if the line was in the mouth before the fly..... There was flossing going on as well.... It will be really good when all the streams have some water!!!! The fisherfolk will be well spread out ad the fish will be in well. One guy said he can’t wait for the temps to go below freezing so the fly guys will stay home! haha. There WAS quite a bit of water whipping going on.  ::) :wacko:

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2019, 07:25 PM »
Thanks, Joe.  And congrats again. I'm heading out that way in the next couple weeks.  I am throwing together tackle to handle a variety of options.  The bead thing isn't part of of my arsenal though or the centerpinning. Those guys can get some drifts!

Thanks Jim! Mostly eggs. the bead thing wasn’t producing much there. I tried but really don’t know the rig well. I did catch the fist fish on a pin rig with egg sack. Saw one fish taken on a fly. The larger picture was a fly catch also. I have some doubts if it bit though. There was a pair of big fish like that laying there all morning and many threw everything at them. I just wonder if the line was in the mouth before the fly..... There was flossing going on as well.... It will be really good when all the streams have some water!!!! The fisherfolk will be well spread out ad the fish will be in well. One guy said he can’t wait for the temps to go below freezing so the fly guys will stay home! haha. There WAS quite a bit of water whipping going on.  ::) :wacko:

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2019, 09:18 PM »
Thanks for sharing Clamfarmer. Nice pictures.

I just got the O.K. to import Atlantic salmon eggs and start raising them on my fish farm. I'm looking forward to it especially since harvest is hook and line! Do they really fight as hard as they say they do? I've only caught small ones in Maine and truthfully don't remember.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2019, 05:25 AM »
Your report and catches were more impressive! We were drifting egg sacks on a few fish were knew were there.  You put the time in and found the spots. Having said that, the locals and serious guys there told us the main event isn’t for a couple weeks. If I can get my buck and time and money allow, plus good water conditions and reports, I may well head there again this month. It WAS a blast!!! Long drive though..... Most of the other good streams just didn’t have the flow to fish. Once there is some decent rain, there will be some wicked fishing!!!

It gets crazy when the browns move in!  Nice work on the salmon.

filetandrelease

« Reply #9 on: Nov 03, 2019, 06:05 AM »

With all this rain we just had it might help things along a little sooner , there are already browns in some tribs 😉

franklin fisher

« Reply #10 on: Nov 03, 2019, 02:45 PM »
  Looks like a fun trip.  Well done!

deerhunter

« Reply #11 on: Nov 04, 2019, 07:38 AM »
very nice lookin salmon, clamster

lowaccord66

« Reply #12 on: Nov 04, 2019, 03:47 PM »
With all this rain we just had it might help things along a little sooner , there are already browns in some tribs 😉

I heard that Fred but its still warm so that equals people.  I'm not a huge fan of people so I will wait until it's unbearable and then I will let them have it.

CLAMFARMER

« Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2019, 03:48 AM »
I heard that Fred but its still warm so that equals people.  I'm not a huge fan of people so I will wait until it's unbearable and then I will let them have it.

HAHA! Yep! There was a guy Met that said he can’t wait for it to be cold enough that the fly and bobber guys stay home!

filetandrelease

« Reply #14 on: Nov 05, 2019, 05:42 AM »

LOL , well Jon come up in late January or February not to many around then 😉
 Right now it isn’t to busy after Columbus weekend the OOTs drop way off  , then it’s mostly those fancy pin and flies persons 👍🎣

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.