FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Turkey's Kicked my Butt  (Read 1206 times)

Teacherpreacher

Turkey's Kicked my Butt
« on: May 08, 2021, 08:05 AM »
Had a 3 day hunt at Kingsbury, Wed -Fri. Took a young friend who wanted to try and shoot one with a bow. He got drawn in stand by all three days. Lots of No Shows. Each day, weather was different. Cold, rain, windy, sunny.
 Wednesday and Thursday very little gobbling. Friday gobbled late for 40 minutes. Had a lone hen slide in about 10:30 yesterday. No Toms. Getting up at 2:00am three days in a row is a killer for this old boy!
Better luck next year, the  good Lord willing!
Teach

Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

Hexagenia51

Re: Turkey's Kicked my Butt
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 08:26 AM »
I feel your pain Teach! I hunted hard for six days before getting my bird. Seems like the birds are getting wise to some of the tricks we’ve been using on them. Decoys aren’t as attractive as they were and calling has been hit or miss more often also. My guess is the birds are more cautious about approaching decoys and calling setups, either because they have seen other birds get shot and or because in Nature the hens are supposed to come to the Gobbler when he gobbles! It’s hard to reverse nature alot times! You still have tomorrow, a few years back I killed a big Tom the last day of the season! Good luck if you get out! Hex

Piggyn

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 08:34 AM »
Have you tried hunting at sand volleyball courts?   ;D

Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Piggyn

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 03:12 PM »
that calls for a bow kill there.  city birds eat the same. ;D

That one was in Camp Hero State Park, which is on the far eastern tip of Long Island.  We saw 8 or 9 birds out that way over the course of 2 days.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 03:44 PM »
Been hunting them for 25 years. Always different. Don't think they get use to decoys or calling. They don't live that long to get smart. They are creatures of habit. I think we give them way too much credit. They don't think, they just react. I believe weather effects them some. I've shot some that act totally stupid. Just have to find one that has his guy thingy in his hand and wants to die!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I've gone 3 years in a row without killing one in the past. Have shot them right off the roost and at 12 noon.  Have hunted Hoosier Nat'l in French Lick. Opening morning not a gobble. Second day sounded like 50 all around. That's what makes it fun for me. Totally unpredictable.
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.