FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: what is this snake?  (Read 6070 times)

reubenpa

what is this snake?
« on: Oct 16, 2004, 07:35 PM »

Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

Phoenix

Re: what is this snake?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2004, 05:27 AM »
If it's dead, it's a 'Good Snake'. Crykie mate! They give me the willies! The devil's children I tell ya.

Chucker

« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2004, 06:58 AM »
Gut reaction would be corn snake, but normally they're not found this far north.  Next bet would be milk snake.  Both are harmless. 

reubenpa

« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2004, 11:23 AM »
I thought maybe king snake ( look alike with the coral.. still harmless)   I have no idea for sure... didn't think they were ni this area either

venisonman

« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2004, 11:53 AM »
Where and when did you see this snake?
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

trapperdirk

« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2004, 12:28 PM »
Well those were my thoughts too Reuben because our milk snakes up here are brown and more like a rattler colouration . Them milk snakes got fangs too of which I can attest too not once but twice when I was young .  :-\
The bush is not a passion , it's in my soul.

TD

oakorchardfishking

• "Another satisfied WNY union member."
« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2004, 03:45 PM »
http://www.esf.edu/pubprog/brochure/snakes/snakes.htm
did a little research for ya, this site lists all snakes common to new york state. i didnt know there were only 17 species... but your snake find is there with a picture... being an eastern milk snake!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2004, 07:33 PM »
It is indeed a milk snake. Where did  you find it? I've only seen 1 other in my life.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2004, 08:09 PM »
i saw a huge one in southern maine two years ago!!scared the crap out of me .it was about 4' long
Scotty 

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2004, 08:18 PM »
hey RG,
i dont know where ya live, but down south NY is the catturagus creek. it runs through an area called ZOAR VALLEY. during the summer months we go hiking down there alot and you see them out sunning themselves of the warm rocks quite often! they are a harmless snake, but will put a nice bite on ya if provoked. they are awesome rodent eaters! if you go into a pet store that has a wide range of snakes, you will see milk snakes in many different color variations!

Chucker

« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2004, 08:49 PM »
When I used to live in Dutchess County, we had milk snakes, ribbon snakes, and garter snakes in a brick enclosure on the side of our house.   That's where some lines came into the house under the kitchen sink.  The enclosure was packed with insulation, and had a concrete slab top.  Nothing more fun for a kid, as they used to shed with all of the rough surfaces - moving the slab was good for a few skins a month during the summer.  I also used to occasionally find ringnecked and brown snakes in the woodpile behind one of the other houses we lived in.  There also was a park just over the ridge where you could consistently find a large water snake basking at the edge of the pond in the same spot. 

After reviewing the ESF list, I've only seen 7 of them in the wild, although I'm not disappointed to have missed a certain three  ;)

reubenpa

« Reply #11 on: Oct 17, 2004, 09:21 PM »
I live in Canandaigua NY of course for those that might not know and I saw it about 1.5-2 weeks ago.  I was looking for worms under some plastic that has a pile of mulch on it and I saw it it was only about 8 inches long but this past summer I saw one about 20-24 inches long but didn't know what it was.. kinda pretty (if snakes can be) and was curious.. I believe the bite thing as it was striking at my boot  Thanks Oak for that site it is definately a milk snake... never heard of them though... don't know snakes very well....

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #12 on: Oct 17, 2004, 10:59 PM »
glad i could help... im kind of a reptile enthusiast of sorts. no super knowledge, but a fair amount to get me by! i did a little breeding of my own with some of the larger species of snakes like boas and pythons... also did some lizard breeding! always had reptiles since i was a kid.... mom never liked it but always allowed me to be who i was gonna be! now that im getting older, im out of the reptile kick (still enjoy them though) and on to aquariums! they are very addicting but so peaceful and relaxing to watch.... fun to drive the cat nuts with too!  ;D

Jigwiggler

« Reply #13 on: Oct 18, 2004, 09:33 AM »
Yep, a harm;ess little milk snake like the others have said.  They are very common around here in PA.  The little ones are great bass bait too! ;)
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

fishin_musician

• Stupid's the New Awesome
« Reply #14 on: Oct 24, 2004, 10:33 PM »
Way to stir it up! So if you got a bass on a snake that eat a frog that eat a cricket you could cook it up and have 4 kinds of meat in one meal.
FM
Life is Good on the Susky!
Date Registered:   Mar 04, 2004

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.