FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: crankbaits?  (Read 11866 times)

fastribs85

crankbaits?
« on: Mar 01, 2006, 04:58 PM »
hey guys saw an article the other day about useing crankbaits for crappie. has anyone ever done this before and any suggestions.
naked women and beer we got it all in here

pondpro

Re: crankbaits?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2006, 06:28 PM »
i tried it, i rather stick with jigs or blade dancers.
Tommy G.

fastribs85

« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2006, 05:29 PM »
blade dancers? same as spinners
naked women and beer we got it all in here

pondpro

Tommy G.

Lobo

• I enjoy fishing ! Catching is a big bonus.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2006, 06:50 PM »
I did pretty good last summer with Beetle Spins. They seem to like black, white or chartuese.
Ross in Greenville, Mi.

God made the world 3/4 water and 1/4 land. So it's plain that he meant for us to fish 3/4 of the time and work 1/4 !

devil-man

« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2006, 05:36 AM »
has anyone ever done this before and any suggestions.

I think you would need some really small cranks! I do have a couple that might work, and I'll definitely try them this spring. Sometimes it seems they will hit anything if they're in the mood.
I have always used small jigs and a slip-bobber.

pinche

• Amen
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2006, 02:47 PM »
I have tried it a few times just after ice out last year and had better sucess w a pinkie and a shiner.
Rockbassin everyone is doing it !!

Proud member of M.I.R.C. since 2006

fishinboy

• Team MI
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2006, 08:26 AM »
I have tried using tiny crankbaits for panfish before and managed to catch some bluegills on them.  The only time I have ever caught a crappie on a crankbait was while casting an orange and gold hot' n' tot' for bass and pike.  I'm not sure what the crappie was thinking; the lure was about 1/3 of his body length.. ??  On the same day, I had a perch hit on the same lure.  Maybe the fish were just really active that day.
Ryan

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2006, 09:50 AM »
I love crankbaits for crappies.....I have  that I switch back and forth using.

1) Norman Crappie Cranks
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=15605&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

2) Rebel BumbleBug...RED
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=39957&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

3) Rebel CrickHopper...Green
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=2958&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

Sorry for all the BPS links but it was the only place I could find pics to show. I used them constantly last season with success. I also caught some nice bonus bass on them while crappie fishing.

YR bender

« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2006, 11:50 AM »
I have had success catching larger crappies on small #5 shad raps over sunken trees on a small pond. They busted it like bass. It was a blast.  Most of the time it is jigs of various types and colors either by themselves or under a bobber.

rich81

« Reply #10 on: Jul 01, 2007, 01:57 PM »
just watched a 10-12 year old boy crush them last week on a crankbait . we were fihing worm and bobber and doing well also. looked like it was a bass crankbait his dad kept yelling "leave the crappie alone and go for bass"

BlueDuck

« Reply #11 on: Jun 20, 2008, 08:42 AM »
I have done well with the Rebel Minnow.   The smallest one.   Usually add one med. split shot 3' above the lure and troll it slow.   I usually target crappie with this lure, but you will catch just about anything with it.   Works good on trout and bass too.......

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #12 on: Jun 20, 2008, 09:10 AM »
I bang up the big Crappie on my lake just after ice-out in the shallows with a small (3-4") jointed rapala...

Crappies swarm on minnows, and the Rapala is just a little bigger than the fatheads or dace they usually eat...  They loved 'em until about mid-May...

The Crappie have since dropped into their summer patterns and are considerably deeper now...

But little crankbaits were the ticket...  Outfished small jigs and flies 10-1...  It's just a short 'window' to utilize them, that's all...
"Once in awhile you get shown the light...  In the strangest of places if you look at it right..."    -J. Garcia

panfishman13

• it's what i do!
« Reply #13 on: Apr 03, 2009, 10:04 PM »
crappie will most likely hit crankbaits while they are suspended feeding on baitfish, you can get some pretty big crappie on them, up to 16" in the right places. not only that but other fish will hit them as well, good way to make a mixed stringer ;D all in all it's a pretty good way to get into the specks ;)

(smaller crankbaits work best, yo zuri has a good selection)

luv2fish24/7

« Reply #14 on: Jun 25, 2009, 06:09 PM »
i use a 3 in. rapala at a small lake where i live and i hammer the crappie most of the time.. it even catches perch, gills, and bass

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.