FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Cooking With Wild Shrooms  (Read 3828 times)

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Cooking With Wild Shrooms
« on: Aug 13, 2018, 09:11 AM »
Not sure how many mushroom hunters we have on here but figured I would try to start a new thread related to mushroom hunting and food.

My wife found a Chicken of the Woods (Laetiporus cincinnatus) on Friday so I decided to make Friday nights dinner revolved around that. I actually prefer Laetiporus cincinnatus (ground grower) over laetiporus sulphureus (tree grower) for flavor.

I ended up cleaning the chicken of the woods and chopping it into 1/2" pieces. I then chopped some raw shrimp up into similar sized pieces. Finally I did the same thing with a piece of Kabanos. First I seared the mushroom in 2 tbls of butter for about 5 minutes. I then added the shrimp and cooked it until it was pink. Finally I added the Kabanos and seared it again for 5 minutes. At the very end I added some freshly chopped parsley. While all of this was cooking I made a side of Jambalaya rice and added the rice into the mushroom mixture once it was finished. I cooked the finished product on low heat for 2 minutes to mix the flavors. This is my favorite meal with the Chicken of the Woods.

Chicken of the Woods, Shrimp, Kabanos

Finished product

Wicked Wec

westernmas

Re: Cooking With Wild Shrooms
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2018, 11:05 AM »
Sounds delicious as usual.  I'm not a much of a fan of mushrooms but haven't really tried many kinds.  I'll have to give some other kinds a try because I tend to like them when they are in a stock or chopped finely in chowder or something.  Large chunks of them however have a weird texture and can just be too strong tasting for me.  I can't even handle them on a pizza.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2018, 11:29 AM »
Sounds delicious as usual.  I'm not a much of a fan of mushrooms but haven't really tried many kinds.  I'll have to give some other kinds a try because I tend to like them when they are in a stock or chopped finely in chowder or something.  Large chunks of them however have a weird texture and can just be too strong tasting for me.  I can't even handle them on a pizza.

This Chicken Mushroom recipe is exactly what you want. The chicken mushroom really does taste and has a texture of chicken. I am betting it would fool you and you would enjoy it.

**** Do not pick chicken mushrooms off coniferous trees as the chemical compound is different and can be harmful****
Wicked Wec

fishinator

« Reply #3 on: Aug 13, 2018, 05:07 PM »
**** Do not pick chicken mushrooms off coniferous trees as the chemical compound is different and can be harmful*** also do not eat off of locusts trees. The ones with the big thorns. can make you sick

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2018, 03:26 PM »
Been taking care of my neighbors chickens and got some extras..  ;D

And i left 3 for seed.... ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #5 on: Aug 24, 2018, 04:17 PM »
I was mowing hay last evening and I mowed right through one of those. Ticked me off! I didn't see any others around it but I'll go back and pay closer attention.   :-\
I want to try the pizza recipe.
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2018, 05:12 PM »
Fresh shrooms dipped in fresh eggs..      Yum...
 8)

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.