FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: BEER CAN CHICKEN (FIRST TIME MADE)  (Read 5083 times)

fishryc

BEER CAN CHICKEN (FIRST TIME MADE)
« on: Aug 09, 2005, 08:12 AM »
After hearing about it here and there over the years, then seeing a picture of it on the NY thread yesterday, I made Beer Can Chicken on the charcoal grill for the first time last evening. So good I’m tempted to make it again tonight!! Absolutely delicious. I generously rubbed the Rock Cornish Game Hens inside and out with my usual BBQ chicken rub made with white, black, and red pepper, garlic and onion POWDER (not salt), brown sugar, salt, and paprika. Put a drip pan with a little water on my burned-down-to-medium-heat coals, tossed in a generous handful of water soaked mesquite chunks, slipped them over half full cans of 16 ounce OV’s, and covered them in my Weber for about an hour or so. Couldn’t believe how super moist, tender, and juicy they were from the beer steam; plus the skin (which was the most amazing bright golden/orange color from the mesquite chip smoke) was still as crispy as corn flakes. No words can adequately describe the taste! (Anybody getting hungry?!!) It's a must try it if you never have. If you do a Google on “Beer Can Chicken”, there are lots of variations and detailed recipes out there. I'm doing some fishing / camping with my wife and the D-Man this weekend; they will definitely be on the menu!
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man; a debt he proposes to pay off with your money".

"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”

G. Gordon Liddy

ChenBassHead

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Bandito Strikes Again!
Re: BEER CAN CHICKEN (FIRST TIME MADE)
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16, 2005, 04:59 PM »
Sounds amazing...I've heard of this before, but I like the name I heard better...Drunk Chicken!  :D

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2006, 11:14 PM »
Cooking beer can chicken is a riot.  Very tender, try putting chavettas in the can.  Believe it or not, cola or lemon-lime soda is great too.

Pikeguy

« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 2006, 08:20 AM »
I'm gettin hungry for sure. Sounds great! :D

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 2006, 08:40 AM »
Once you get started there is no stopping...try a few of these

1) Ice Tea

2) Lemonaide (use Lemonaide crystals/powder in your rub)

3) Coffee (flavoured)

4) Wine ( a take off on coqauvin)

Each of these liquids makes a subtle difference to the end result. Also try mixing up the rub a bit. 

Polar

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 04:53 PM »
Why waste a perfectly good beer on a chicken? Just joking they are great tasting.

1tigger

• Nothing like a Jitterbug in the dark !!
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 10:07 AM »
I was looking at the racks and recipies just last night in walmart !
I would like to try it but I cant get my family to eat any chicken off the bone !
They dont like the ruddy color that there is left on the meat when it's cooked that way .

davidl

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 08:22 PM »
I'm doing some fishing / camping with my wife and the D-Man this weekend; they will definitely be on the menu!

??? are you really going to eat your wife AND D-Man?

mrwalleye

« Reply #8 on: Jun 19, 2006, 10:13 AM »
After hearing about it here and there over the years, then seeing a picture of it on the NY thread yesterday, I made Beer Can Chicken on the charcoal grill for the first time last evening. So good I’m tempted to make it again tonight!! Absolutely delicious. I generously rubbed the Rock Cornish Game Hens inside and out with my usual BBQ chicken rub made with white, black, and red pepper, garlic and onion POWDER (not salt), brown sugar, salt, and paprika. Put a drip pan with a little water on my burned-down-to-medium-heat coals, tossed in a generous handful of water soaked mesquite chunks, slipped them over half full cans of 16 ounce OV’s, and covered them in my Weber for about an hour or so. Couldn’t believe how super moist, tender, and juicy they were from the beer steam; plus the skin (which was the most amazing bright golden/orange color from the mesquite chip smoke) was still as crispy as corn flakes. No words can adequately describe the taste! (Anybody getting hungry?!!) It's a must try it if you never have. If you do a Google on “Beer Can Chicken”, there are lots of variations and detailed recipes out there. I'm doing some fishing / camping with my wife and the D-Man this weekend; they will definitely be on the menu!
done, and done.  going to pick up some chips, beer, and of course chicken tonite!!!  ive always wanted to try that

perch pounder

• Keep on poundin'
« Reply #9 on: Jul 09, 2006, 05:10 PM »
Well  I'm 1/2 way through with these 2 birds ... :thumbup_smilie:

The one one the left is rubbed with Ms. Dash  with a 1/2 can of Mike's hard Cranberry lemonade and soon I will baste it with a glaze of honey and lemon .
The one on the right is rubbed with a mix of brown sugar , fresh ground pepper , course salt (crushed in a mortor and pastal ) , cinnamon , garlic powder , cummin, onion powder.
the can is (hic...) 1/2 filled with beer  :blink:

Who cares about side dishes when you have these  :P
here  fishy , fishy , fishy.......

Skiff

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Just relaxin' on the Red
« Reply #10 on: Jul 11, 2006, 09:46 PM »
Perch Pounder's chickens were great!  We cleaned them both right down to the bones and picked the carcasses to only get enough for one sandwich yesterday.  Tender, juicy, tasty- - - - - just like what the other guys said.   :thumbup_smilie: Next time I'll try doing it too! 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.