FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: I'm ready for my vacation in Maine!  (Read 1870 times)

taxid

I'm ready for my vacation in Maine!
« on: Jun 08, 2019, 03:50 PM »
All my DIY projects are done on it as in DIY upright seat, rodholders behind the seat, stabilizers (seen here in storage position), along with internally wired transducer cable and fish finder and transducer, DIY anchor system, and mini downrigger and rod holder.

I was testing it out in one of the ponds today and the seat was not only comfortable, but I can really move out with the mirage drive and can turn on a dime thanks to the rudder on the back. The best part is it keeps my hands available for fishing and setting the downrigger vs. using a paddle.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

buffaloice

Re: I'm ready for my vacation in Maine!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 09, 2019, 04:24 AM »
Wow that is some setup Tax. I like how you  utilized the PVC for the stabilizers into rodholders. I use a milk crate with pieces of PVC zip tied to a milk crate behind me.  How do you transport it? Im finding that i am more and more looking for a trailer as it is a PITA getting it ontop and off of my SUV. I have also scratched my truck up doing it. I tihnk i would use it alot more if i had a trailer.

rivereddy

« Reply #2 on: Jun 09, 2019, 07:38 AM »
That's some rig! And the reels - Penn level wind to a light spinning rig - shows you are ready for just about any thing with fins....

fish on,

rivereddy

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #3 on: Jun 10, 2019, 08:39 AM »
Nice work Cecil!
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: Jun 10, 2019, 09:51 PM »
Nice work Cecil. 

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Jun 10, 2019, 10:22 PM »
Thank you all for the kinds words.

Buffalo Ice, I have a small utility trailer I use. I zip tied and duck taped a couple of swim noodles to it for now. Then use to racket straps and a rope on each end. I'll take a picture tomorrow and post it.

As far as moving the kayak on the ground I build the following out of 1 inch and 3/4 inc PVC. The 3/4 fits into two scupper holes. I originally tried to strap it to a caddy and that sucked. To much weight.

Getting ready hit the sack at a Days Inni in NY tonight. In about 9 more hours should be at my Maine destination.

Geeze I've never seen so much rain in my life here in NY!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Jun 10, 2019, 10:25 PM »
That's some rig! And the reels - Penn level wind to a light spinning rig - shows you are ready for just about any thing with fins....

fish on,

rivereddy

The Penn reel has the lead core line on it.

tomturkey

« Reply #7 on: Jun 11, 2019, 01:03 PM »
Wow that is some setup Tax. I like how you  utilized the PVC for the stabilizers into rodholders. I use a milk crate with pieces of PVC zip tied to a milk crate behind me.  How do you transport it? Im finding that i am more and more looking for a trailer as it is a PITA getting it ontop and off of my SUV. I have also scratched my truck up doing it. I tihnk i would use it alot more if i had a trailer.

Here is some thing my father taught me back in the 60's to load boats on the roof of my vehicles. He ran pieces of pipe on his racks front to back on both sides of his carriers. He was able to load his 12 foot john boat easy by putting one end on of the boat on the pipe then lifting the other end, sliding it cross ways then spinning it around onto the cross bars. I have used that method for years to load my canoes on my vehicles. This way you do not have to lift the whole thing to get it on length wise on the racks.

I do not know how well it would work with a kayak as the bottom of a kayak is not flat but worth a try.

seamonkey84

« Reply #8 on: Jun 22, 2019, 11:16 PM »
Here is some thing my father taught me back in the 60's to load boats on the roof of my vehicles. He ran pieces of pipe on his racks front to back on both sides of his carriers. He was able to load his 12 foot john boat easy by putting one end on of the boat on the pipe then lifting the other end, sliding it cross ways then spinning it around onto the cross bars. I have used that method for years to load my canoes on my vehicles. This way you do not have to lift the whole thing to get it on length wise on the racks.

I do not know how well it would work with a kayak as the bottom of a kayak is not flat but worth a try.
I’ve been looking for extending bars that do exactly what your describing, found them online once but can’t seem to find it anymore.

Edit: found it again! Yakima showboat load assist.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.