FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: NEW RODS  (Read 1831 times)

abishop

NEW RODS
« on: Apr 11, 2013, 11:38 AM »
Just seen that St. Croix has a new line of pan fish rods out (pan fish series). They have only a five year warranty unlike the lifetime with the avid and legend series. Has anyone tried out one of these out yet? What is your opinion? Suppose to have more backbone for swinging in those slabs. Has anyone notices any on display anywhere, (Cabela's or Bass Pro)?

Teacherpreacher

Re: NEW RODS
« Reply #1 on: Apr 11, 2013, 11:58 AM »
Al-
Haven't seen them but I have been using a 9' Zander Walleye Rod sold by Cabela's for panfish. I've had them for 10 years and really like them. Very sensitive tip but has decent butt. I cut off about 4" from handle and glued butt cap back on as I don't like the extra long handle. I spooled  reels with 3 lb-dia., 6 lb ., Fireline. When I bought mine they were $49.99 but now I think the last time I looked they were $60.00.
A Walleye in Europe is called a Zander. I've caught smallmouth with this set up out at Bailey discharge in current. An 8" bluegill is lots of fun and you can throw a slip bobber a mile.
Might want to give them a look?
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

abishop

« Reply #2 on: Apr 11, 2013, 01:23 PM »
thanks, teach. wont be long for the slough.

portageredneck

« Reply #3 on: Apr 11, 2013, 01:40 PM »
i just bought a nine ft ultra lite from bass pro with the slough in mind...

Mr. gill

« Reply #4 on: Apr 11, 2013, 02:25 PM »
It is a lot of fun catching pannies on a long flippy rod with some back bone. Never used one till a friend lat me barrow one while fishing with him. He has a friend custom make them. He gets the blanks from Korea and they work awsome.

JPjunkie

• Slingin it out Slingin em in
« Reply #5 on: Apr 11, 2013, 05:00 PM »
thanks, teach. wont be long for the slough.
Ive seen guys watching eachother with binos at the slough fishing the stickups They had like 12 foot canepoles and they take there spots serious     Are you one of those guys Al ;D ;D ;D

princecraft

« Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2013, 05:04 PM »
Had bad experience with St. Croix legend ice fishing rods.  Would not buy another St. Croix of any kind.

abishop

« Reply #7 on: Apr 11, 2013, 07:23 PM »
Don't know about the ice rods, but, I love all my avids and legends. Have broken the tip off one and had the tip come off another . Sent them in and they sent me 2 brand new rods. That is one fine lifetime guarantee. IMHO. I love them

abishop

« Reply #8 on: Apr 11, 2013, 07:25 PM »
Ive seen guys watching eachother with binos at the slough fishing the stickups They had like 12 foot canepoles and they take there spots serious     Are you one of those guys Al ;D ;D ;D
Not me I cast for them. Like fighting them on UL rods.The guys dipping them are always getting them. I can't fish this way. With the carpal tunnel, those long cane poles get very heavy fast.

klbeeks

« Reply #9 on: Apr 12, 2013, 03:43 PM »
pro tackle outfitter in ft wayne carries them.. theyre a pretty good feelin rod!

Shadrap

• Addicted to Fishin
« Reply #10 on: Apr 14, 2013, 09:14 AM »
Jumped on the 9ft fast action last year to replace a splintered Falcon (grandson accident).  Sweet rod and light as a feather.  Your carpal tunnel might be a factor though as the handle diameter is a bit smaller than most spinning rods.  Action is pretty comparible to the Fenwick line.  Dissapointed that Falcon quit making the noodles.  Picked up the 7ft fast action St Croix this winter but have yet to use it.  Feels like another sweet one and I'm anxious to give it a wirl.

Boomer

« Reply #11 on: Apr 14, 2013, 06:00 PM »
With the carpal tunnel, those long cane poles get very heavy fast.

Abishop, my wife had carpal tunnel. She waited too long and loss some muscle mass in her thumbs.  Two operations later she knows she should have done it years ago. She had a really good surgeon. Six minutes for one hand and about five for the other. She was out of work for only a couple of days and that was because she has to use her hands a lot at work. In about two weeks she was doing great!

Good luck on the lakes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.