FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Blue Gill Limits  (Read 3655 times)

meandcuznalfy

Re: Blue Gill Limits
« Reply #15 on: Apr 11, 2019, 09:08 PM »
I agree thats a long time and that was on a large popular lake.
Yea, times I thought they'd be checking this winter didn't happen, figured they'd hit the fishing derbies we were at.

What really gets me is you will find many of these fish hogs are too lazy to clean all those fish and give them away to people that don't buy fishing licenses. Had a lazy brother-in-law that would just dump them in a chest freezer and my sister would have to throw them out as they would pretty much freeze dry. All for bragging rights.

Thank God the SOB is not my bother-in-law anymore. And add to that it was Boy Scout camp lake he was overfishing. Took the dumb *** fishing once and I watched the anchor keep going because he didn't bother to tie it off.
That's sad, I'm all for bragging rights, but we like to eat them too and I'm not a fan of filleting for hours, so we only keep around 50, makes a nice meal for me and my boy.

Hermdog

• lets go fishing, YEA BABY YEAAA
« Reply #16 on: Apr 12, 2019, 05:43 AM »
Hey, did you let Mike know your view no this matter, or are you just gonna b***h about it behind his back?? On social media none the less!!

aarogod

« Reply #17 on: Apr 12, 2019, 09:52 AM »
Hey, did you let Mike know your view no this matter, or are you just gonna b***h about it behind his back?? On social media none the less!!

You're d**n right I let him know, as did my dad........He said who gives a #%@# which is why i went public with it chief

aarogod

« Reply #18 on: Apr 12, 2019, 09:59 AM »
I gave up worrying and being mad about this along time ago. I don't do it my self nor do my friends . No one can change it complaining about it. You just got to enjoy being out and get after it while you can !

If no one complains about it, how will things ever get changed?

taxid

« Reply #19 on: Apr 12, 2019, 10:27 AM »
It comes up every time we go through the rules change proposal but for some reason doesn't even seem to be considered.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #20 on: Apr 12, 2019, 10:59 AM »
It comes up every time we go through the rules change proposal but for some reason doesn't even seem to be considered.
Need more people to contact dnr about it.

taxid

« Reply #21 on: Apr 12, 2019, 12:23 PM »
Need more people to contact dnr about it.

True.

I'm thinking of putting together a paper that uses the INDNR's own data and the data of surrounding states to make a case for it. It appears the INDNR is still using the antiquated thinking that you can't over harvest bluegills and the less fish there are the more food to go around. The latest research I have seen shows it's more complicated than that, and you can overfish bluegills. I even saw that exact thing said in a survey on the Sylvan Lake chain years ago.

I produced a paper to produce the 18 inch size limit on brown trout in the Oliver Lake Chain years ago when we still had smelt and cisco in the lake chain, and the lake chain produced large trophy size browns up to 8 pounds. (One was found dead of natural causes on Oliver of 13 pounds, and Olin held the state record for brown trout until brown trout took hold in Lake Michigan. We wanted to allow the browns to live longer for a potential trophy fishery vs. the rainbows that are mostly put and take. This was in conjunction with NEITA which is now defunct. And I put one together another paper to make the case to reintroduce smelt that was turned down. I now know the main reason for that was the state wants to reestablish cisco in the lake chain, and smelt may be detrimental to the cisco, although they coexisted for decades until the state planted lake trout. I think it's pretty well accepted the lake trout decimated the smelt and cisco as it's very common knowledge in fisheries management surveys around the country.

Here are the two papers if anyone is curious. It would be nice along with people speaking up, if we had some kind of angler association to link to.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzfC2NBfqz05VndzWDlVblhiNjA/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzfC2NBfqz05bXFBakxVODVub00/view
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Spooled85

« Reply #22 on: Apr 12, 2019, 12:51 PM »
If no one complains about it, how will things ever get changed?

Actions speak louder then words

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #23 on: Apr 12, 2019, 01:35 PM »
A well wrote proposal along with a petition might be what it takes to get a limit put out there.

wlatrout

« Reply #24 on: Apr 12, 2019, 10:20 PM »
 I talked to a CO last year that told me that at the open meetings the majority of those present did not want a limit. I guess when it comes up again more of us who want a limit need to attend. We should be done with 5 gal. bucket limits.

kfishdoctor

« Reply #25 on: Apr 14, 2019, 08:58 AM »
So we get a 25 limit. I want it go further. If you use a boat,20, and a thermometer, 15, and a fish finder, 10, and a motor, 5, and gps ,0, hang a trophy fish on the wall for bragging rights you are banned from fishing. Since I don't use any of these things to fish you have an unfair advantage over me and that just aint right. So I want the government to control what you do. Continue to encourage them, they love their power and will take every right your willing to give up and even more of the ones your not willing to give up. I practice take what I want and I don't waste what I take. Some days that's 10 and other days that's 40. I have also said before that I cook and give away fish to those who no longer have the ability to fish but love to eat those fresh caught gills. So that day my number could be 50( if I could get that lucky) So please be careful what you ask for and may a good time be had by all who love to fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.