FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: planer boards  (Read 6527 times)

jp

planer boards
« on: Mar 06, 2004, 09:48 PM »
does any one use in line planers? i have a set of the off-shore tackle boards. I have a hard time with them. not sure if it is me or the boards. would it be worth the extra to set up a mast with big boards?

sell

Re: planer boards
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2004, 05:02 AM »
Big boards and a mast take up more space in your boat but to me are worth it. Run the boards out once and from then on just  clip on another release send it out  and your fishing again. I use the mast and planners on Lake Mi and Erie and the inline planners on smalller lakes for walleye.

marten

« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2004, 08:18 AM »
how can you run big boards with out a mast ??? ??? ;D

Show me the money

« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2004, 04:39 PM »
have herd of guys use the downrigger . clip on & let out . better to get up higher with a mast in front of the boat

Scott

• Administrator
  • Jig Jig for a big pig
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2004, 08:59 PM »
I have used all kinds of planer boards jp. Takes a bit to get the hang of them, after some practice and a few tip you will have no trouble running up to 10 lines yourself. What kind of trouble are you having?

-Scott

Webguy

• Lured into it....... get reel!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2004, 10:54 AM »
have herd of guys use the downrigger . clip on & let out .

Interesting idea, especially for a solo angler with tiller steering.
I'll have to give it a try, the shallow flats can really produce in the spring and the more coverage the better.

jp

« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2004, 12:53 PM »
one of my biggest problems is knowing when a small fish is on. they sell a flag kit for the ones that i have would that help? I guess the flag goes down when a fish is on. I will have to wait til i use them agin to rember what else was troubleing me. all i remember right now is that i didn't have much fun with them.

eyedoktr

« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2004, 04:55 PM »
It sounds like you indeed should invest in the tattle flag kits. Until you really get used to the boards, they are great for letting you know there is a small fish or even weeds on your lure. Once you use the boards for alot of hours you notice subtle changes in the balance, direction or just the whole attitude of the board.
Pete Lewis

Scott

• Administrator
  • Jig Jig for a big pig
« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2004, 10:45 AM »
Eyedoktr is right, The tattle flags are helpful, but just by putting some hours in using your boards you will start noticing any slight change in its behavoir. Even the smallest weed on your lure will become noticable. Also try watching behind the board for a hooked fish to surface.

-Scott

jp

« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2004, 11:25 PM »
thanks for all the help guys. going to get the flags  and try to put some time in.going to be a while with 30" of ice still.

baginwal

• MFF Mod Team
  • No Politics Just Fish!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2004, 01:24 PM »
For years I have used the prince mastercraft super skis's for walleye and browns (and the occasional bass that shows up! ;D).  I use the lavrick visi grip releases ( I think this is their name:  weight looks like a hotdog with a clip attached.  I usually give my line a few twists, attach it and send it down the mast line.

One tip:  if you are running multiple lines (which you probably will), be sure to have the outside line the furthest out, the next one closer, etc.  Repeat this for the other side.  Also place your outside rod closest to the helm.  This way when a fish hits you are going over the other lines to fight it,  instead of under.

Good luck this year!

Fisher50

« Reply #11 on: Mar 21, 2005, 11:26 AM »
In line boards are a great addition to your equipment.  Just simply cover more water.   I have never used the big boards, but it seems like the size of them would take up half the space in my boat.  I often change the way I'm fishing several times in a day.  Wouldn't want the big boards and the mast in the way, when I'm drifting or casting. 
"But she's in good shape for the shape she's in...cause she's been through the fire before, and I believe she can take a whole lot more...So we raise her up every morning, we take her down every night, we don't let her touch the ground, and we fold her up right...on second thought, I do like to brag, cause I'm mighty proud of that ragged old flag." -Johnny Cash

marshrat

« Reply #12 on: Mar 21, 2005, 07:33 PM »
We have a problem with seeing if there is a BIG fish on i cant tell my dad can sometimes but I think they are a waste of boat space. i don't if its because we use lead line i don't think so because we used it with normal first i just haven't had any luck on them we use them on Kueka any help for me guys
Chris Neal
Twin Tier Angling Board
DON'T LEAVE FISH TO FIND FISH!!!!!

GO TEAM PA

troutman

« Reply #13 on: Mar 21, 2005, 10:39 PM »
Are you talking about the big boards or the small inline boards? Both boards will catch fish. The little ones are easier to rig up. It’s very easy to see if you have a fish on. The fish will pull the board under. You can also rig up the little board, when the fish hits the board will slide down your line to it come to a stop. You play the fish and board together. Boards work well on keuka in the early spring trolling in close for browns.
Ray

terrieb80

« Reply #14 on: Apr 07, 2005, 06:00 PM »
Took my first trip out on Lake Michigan this week.  The friend I was with (his boat and rigs) completly believes in the "off-shore" boards.  Although, I thought the releases should have performed better when we had a fish, I was able to pick up on the extermly suttle changes in the board when there was a fish on.  I ended up being the one who whooped "fish on" on all fish but one.  I would like to see the realeases work better but then again, they are a pain if set too light.

Has anyone tried fishing for muskie trolling with planer boards?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.