FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: yellow bird in-line planer boards  (Read 3195 times)

FarginIcehole

yellow bird in-line planer boards
« on: Apr 20, 2005, 07:17 PM »
what length and action rod is suitable for running these boards?? gonna try lake ontario in shallow for this weekend.any other tips on trolling speed,or lure selection .....and especially the length of line from the board to the lure would be appreciated.  Fargin

Master-Baiter

Re: yellow bird in-line planer boards
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20, 2005, 09:24 PM »
I like fairly long rods with a fairly soft action to keep the boards from prematurely releasing.  (I use offshore tackle's inline planers)  Anyways, as far as how much line you are running behind the boards it really depends on what you are after.  If you are trolling in shallow, and the water is clear I would run 75-100 feet back or more and use a light leader also since browns tend to be a little line shy.  The softer rod will also come in handy when fighting fish on lioght line. Try silver and blue rapalas or storm thundersticks, and by the weekend if we get any rain there could be mudlines off the mouths of streams....troll along the mudline if you get the chance.

FingerLakesBen

« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2005, 03:01 AM »
i've been running my in-lines on my bass tackle with no real problem.  6'6' medium action trigger.  there is some bend but in my opinion its insignificant.  where abouts you hittin the big pond?  we've been doing pretty good the past 2 weekends, but it could be bumpy this weekend with the NE winds.  green/siver yo-zuri pin's minnow have been our best baits, 120' behind the boards.

Fisher50

« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2005, 09:06 AM »
Aren't the Yellow Birds smaller than the Offshore or Roach boards?  Would not require as heavy as the larger boards.  I, too, have used the Offshore boards on Bass sized tackle.  No problem, but the longer heavier stuff works better (IMHO).  I really like the line counter reels.  Helps to duplicate what works. 
"But she's in good shape for the shape she's in...cause she's been through the fire before, and I believe she can take a whole lot more...So we raise her up every morning, we take her down every night, we don't let her touch the ground, and we fold her up right...on second thought, I do like to brag, cause I'm mighty proud of that ragged old flag." -Johnny Cash

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.