FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Line Twist?  (Read 10608 times)

Cider

Line Twist?
« on: Mar 13, 2004, 09:52 PM »
I troll for landlock salmon in the spring and trout on and off throughout the season.  I use one of my spinning rods with a medium action and a larger reel which will hold more line.  I usually troll out of the canoe with dipsy divers or out of a buddy's 14 foot boat with down riggers and 8 lb weights.

Problem is that I also use that same rod for spin-casting for bass.  I always end up with horrible backlashes on nearly every cast because of the memory and line twist from trolling.

What does everyone do to solve this problem?  Do I need to dedicate a rod just to trolling?  Or is there a special way to rig up my tackle to eliminate line twist?

I usually just tie my hardware/bait right on the line because I want the best presentation/action of the lure.  I think with some hardware, using a snap swivel will ruin the action of the lure.  Can I use a barrel swivel somewhere in line?

Thanks

broken rod

• CPR
Re: Line Twist?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2004, 10:43 PM »
what i do is have a spare spool one for trolling and one for casting. i really hate back lash  ;D
tight lines, chuck

Show me the money

« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2004, 02:46 PM »
 i allways use a swivel about 6ft up from the lure

Cider

« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2004, 02:51 PM »
i allways use a swivel about 6ft up from the lure

A barrel swivel??  Then do you just tie on the trolling spoon or live bait directly to the leader without a swivel?

I know you can get away with using a swivel with some lures, but most are designed with their own action and a swivel can mess that up.

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2004, 03:55 PM »
Cider,  you missed the part about 6 feet above the lure.  Tie the barrel swivel on,  tie on a leader about 4 to 6 feet long,  and then tie your lure on at the end of the leader.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2004, 04:08 PM »
Use a ball bearing barrel swivel for best results.  If you still get twists, you can hook a large bobber directly to the swivel, let out all the twisted line and troll that way for a while.  This will get the twists out.
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Smelt1

• Born to fish,forced to work!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2004, 06:55 PM »
I use a sampo ball bearing barrel swivel 6' above my lures or streamer fies.I tie my lures directly to a piece of florocarbon leader using a loop knot.Using a loop knot instead of sinching the knot up to the eye of your lures will prevent line twist as well as giving your trolling gear alot more action.Just remember not to pull your barrel swivel through your rod tip or else you'll run the risk of chipping your guide and end up cutting your line off.
Bubba

Cider

« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2004, 09:35 PM »
Cool posts guys, thanks.  This is what I was pretty much envisioning.  Now I can't wait for the ice to clear so I can go try it out!  Just watched my first spring training baseball game of the season the other day, a sure sign that winter is done and it is time to start the warm weather fun!!  ;D  ;D

baginwal

• MFF Mod Team
  • No Politics Just Fish!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2004, 01:13 PM »
Cider,
I use the Sampo ball bearing swivels just as Smelt1 has indicated.  Don't go cheap here, the Sampo's are worth it! ;D

FLAG

« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2004, 07:04 AM »
Where can you find the Sampo ball bearing swivals? I have been looking but can't find any or I am just over looking them.

thanks for your help :)

baginwal

• MFF Mod Team
  • No Politics Just Fish!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 25, 2004, 07:43 AM »
Hey Flag:  You can get the Sampo BB swivels at any good tackle shop or online at the following site: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jhtml?id=0012183&navAction=jump&navCount=0&indexId=&parentId=&parentType=&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fpod-link.jhtml.1_A&_DAV=search

They really do make a difference over the cheaper ones! ;D

Smelt1

« Reply #11 on: Mar 25, 2004, 09:33 AM »
Flag, I believe in past posts that you live in the NH-Me. area, you can definatly get your sampo swivels at the Kittery trading post.But I usally by mine through cabela's in bulk amounts.Alot cheaper and over the years your proberly goin to use them,and if you don't then your not fishing enough ;D
Bubba

Cider

« Reply #12 on: Mar 25, 2004, 10:23 AM »
 :o  :o  :o  :o  I looked at the price per dozen at Cabela's for Sampos compared to $0.99 per dozen for eagle claws or whatever it is I get at Wal-Mart!  All I have to say is holy crud!  :o  :o  :o

unreel

« Reply #13 on: Mar 27, 2004, 07:35 AM »
Cider, make sure their ball-bearing swivels...barrel swivels don't work.....You could get away with bead-chain swivels also.  Baginwal is right don't go cheap besides I think Sampos' are the only ones that are American made.

Smelt1

« Reply #14 on: Mar 27, 2004, 08:17 AM »
Cider, I don't believe what you are buying at wally world are "ball bearing" barrel swivels.Certainly not @ .99/doz. They are just reg. barrel swivels which are riveted together and depending on weather they have a burr on the mating parts,depends on if they will work at all. If you sit down and realize just how much money we've got invested in our hobby, boat-$45k ,fishin rods-$3k,lures-$1k,misc. stuff- another $10k. How valueable is having a premium barrel swivel at the end of your line? Pricless  ;D. Just my .02  ;)
Bubba

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.