FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Line Twist?  (Read 10609 times)

Cider

Re: Line Twist?
« Reply #15 on: Mar 27, 2004, 04:22 PM »
I know, I know.  I wasn't saying that the ones from wallyworld are ball-bearing.  I was just looking at the price difference and feeling some sticker shock.  I have to put in a cabela's order for some new flyline and a pack of sampos is already on the list.  ;)

Smelt1

• Born to fish,forced to work!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 28, 2004, 07:55 AM »
The ball bearing kind of barrell swivel runs 3-6 times the cost of regular barrell swivels but if you do alot of trolling you'll appreciate not having any line twist in your line.If your ever in the Somersworth NH area the wally world there carries the sampo brand,but not in the bulk packs.
Bubba

Cider

« Reply #17 on: Mar 28, 2004, 12:20 PM »
Somersworth eh?  I'll check into it.  The wallyworld's in Leb and Claremont are kind of lame.  The one in Claremont used to be good but really went downhill in the past few years.  I like the one in Tilton.  They seem to have most of the good quality gear with a great selection.

Thanks for the info...

Little Brown Dog

« Reply #18 on: Apr 01, 2004, 07:03 AM »
I just went on your recommendations and picked up a few packs of sampos at fish 307 in Lake George.  Couple new lures also.  Can't wait to get the boat in the water now.

grumpymoe

« Reply #19 on: Apr 01, 2004, 04:41 PM »
the nasty line twist....did you know that when you are battling a fish, that when the drag is working and you're reeling in, each revolution of the spool, puts on one revolution of twist in your line!!! even by the time you land the fish, regardless of snap swivels, the line already retrieved is twisted on your spool. interesting........cut off the line at the last tie/swivel and spool out behind the boat for a couple of minutes...will untwist.....ready to start over.....grump

Smelt1

« Reply #20 on: Apr 02, 2004, 06:13 AM »
Grump, is that true only for spinning reels or is it also true for baitcasters as well as level winds?
Bubba

Jigwiggler

« Reply #21 on: Apr 02, 2004, 06:18 AM »
That's right, spinning only.  You won't see that problem on a baitcaster.  Don't reel if your drag is going out on any reel though.  You are just wasting the effort and causing more wear on the drag.
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Cider

« Reply #22 on: Apr 02, 2004, 08:28 AM »
The difference being that on a baitcaster the spool revolves to retrieve the line and on a spinning reel the bail wraps the line around the spool  (the spool is stationary).  The trolling an unfettered line idea does work to remove line twist, but it is only temporary and really takes up a lot of quality fishing time.  Not to mention that when people ask what you are trolling for you have to tell them snarl fish!!  ;D

Jigwiggler

« Reply #23 on: Apr 02, 2004, 08:39 AM »
Cider - did you see my earlier post about attaching a bobber or float via a swivel and trolling to remove twist?  I have done this and the resistance of the bobber helps to remove the twist.  Usually only takes a couple minutes and is quicker than respooling when on the water.

Cider

« Reply #24 on: Apr 02, 2004, 08:42 AM »
No, I missed that.  Will give it a try.  Sounds like it would work.  Do you use a generic bobber or a balsa float?  Does it make a difference?

Jigwiggler

« Reply #25 on: Apr 02, 2004, 08:50 AM »
I just use a big ol' round plastic float.  I can't imagine that style would matter.  Just use a large one to provide enough resistance to pull the twists out.

Smelt1

« Reply #26 on: Apr 02, 2004, 03:29 PM »
Jigwiggler,I can't help but to reel as my drag is running,my brother-in-law once said to me you have to play that fish or your going to lose it,for which I replied to him "I'll get him in the boat and we both can play with him" ;D
Bubba

Jigwiggler

« Reply #27 on: Apr 02, 2004, 04:10 PM »
Jigwiggler,I can't help but to reel as my drag is running,my brother-in-law once said to me you have to play that fish or your going to lose it,for which I replied to him "I'll get him in the boat and we both can play with him" ;D

I know what you mean.  One of my fishin' buddies reels so fast when he gets a nice one on you'd swear the handle of his reel was attached to a Dremel tool running on 220v!  ;D  I think he feels that the quicker he gets them in the boat the less time they have to throw his hook.  ::)  When we were salmon (king) fishing last year, the first one he caught the line was so twisted by the time he landed it that it looked like some kind of flourocarbon braid  ;D .

Smelt1

« Reply #28 on: Apr 03, 2004, 03:48 PM »
I still have that problem,I also have the hook setting problem.When the Mrs. and me were out bass fishing one day we had been catching bass all day long and I was doing my Jimmy Houston imitation of setting the hook.Well I felt this little tap-tap,figuring this was another bass I go to rip his lip when to my surprise this little pumpkin seed comes flying threw the air and hits the Mrs. right upside her skull.She was not impressed at all,of course laughing so hard I nearly soiled my drawers did'nt help.She swears to this day that I did it on purpose ::)
Bubba

Jigwiggler

« Reply #29 on: Apr 06, 2004, 07:10 AM »
LOL  I fish with this one guy who at least once a trip will set the hook on a small bass and flip it to the other side of the boat.  Everyone ducks when they see him getting ready to set the hook.  :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.