FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Leadcore setup  (Read 3589 times)

Dr. IceGeek

Leadcore setup
« on: May 17, 2005, 09:43 AM »
Guys,
   Quick question.  I've got 6 rods dedicated to my downriggers, another 4 dedicated ofr planar boards and two for dipseys.  I was just wondering what kind of setup is best for leadcore as I would like to get at least 2 rods/reels and give it a shot.  I know that some days leadcore can't be beat and I was just wondering what everyone uses?  Thanks again
Dr. IceGeek

Robb

• Upstate NY
Re: Leadcore setup
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 09:55 AM »
I use a Penn 309m with 20 colors of 36lb lead from Cabela's. I usually jig for lakers with it but also troll christmas trees and other spoons and stickbaits.

Robb

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 05:32 PM »
My set up is a Okuma contender with 200 yds of  12 lb. lead core with a 8'6" Cabelas  downrigger rod .  I run a 50' leader of 8lb. mono. Mostly fish for rainbows.
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

Dr. IceGeek

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 06:58 AM »
Do you guys use any kind of backing so that all your leadcore is in the water at once, or is it Ok to just spool up with it and attach a leader?  Just curious because I;ve never used it in any capacity and I don't know anyone who fishes with it on a regualr basis......

fishercat

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 08:14 AM »
I did not use any backing I wanted has much room as possible., to get the most amount of line on.
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

Robb

• Upstate NY
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 01:55 PM »
No backing at all, 20 colors of lead is 200yds of line plus a 20-30ft leader.
Robb

rendo

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 04:12 PM »

instead of using leadcore I use a steel wire line with dipsys. goes down as far with less drag andworks great.
thinking  fishing!!
Be safe!Fish On!

fishercat

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 05:10 PM »
I also have a wire set-up. You are right there is far less drag with the wire, you can use a less stiff pole. But the stuff can be nasty if you do not pay atttention as you are letting out the line. And reeling it in. If you get a back lash (also known as professional over-run) and you kink the wire, it is not easy to straighten.  Wife runs the lead core and I use the wire. First time she saw what happened when I screwed up she said "you can have that stuff" :'( We run 2 flat lines plus downriggers. Wire can be great but you got to pay attention. I have seen the wire out-fish the lead core and I have seen the opposite. From my experience the wire line I use .021 diameter Stainless Steel Trolling wire runs at the same depth has the lead core.  ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.