FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Winter Lure Hobby  (Read 12443 times)

Mac Attack

Re: Winter Lure Hobby
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2016, 09:01 AM »
chartreuse

Back in the late 70's and thru the 90's we trolled Lake Ontario for salmon and trout a LOT.
Still run there in the Spring for browns.
And these days we run Lake Erie for eyes.

Jointed J-9's and J-11's in chartreuse produce when nothing else does.
Cloudy, dark, sunny, doesn't seem to matter.

They are really looking good Hunt.

Mac

Huntny30

• "What ever you are, be a good one." Abe
« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2016, 10:21 AM »
Thanks...actually most of these blanks came with a chartreuse stripe on the top...those were the only ones left that were o clearance when I bought them...I painted over...I have 7 more Chartreuse left...I will absolutely leave a few as is...I have noticed more and more as the water has became clearer and the gobies have taken over, I have done better with natural colors.  I remember back in the late 80's early 90's all the clown colors were what worked best especially for springtime browns...red was always a great steelhead color...can't ever have enough of any color or lure...LOL...and just when you think you have it figured out a different color becomes the best!  Its a game that keeps us all coming back for more!
\"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person.\" Fred Bear

jeffmac85

« Reply #17 on: Feb 25, 2016, 12:33 AM »
Chartreuse bags, beads, and jigs killed the Browns in the tribs this past fall ;)

boondox

« Reply #18 on: Feb 25, 2016, 01:15 AM »
maybe we should change the title to winter obsession since making lures is addictive...by the way yours are awesome as I have said before lol's   

Huntny30

« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2016, 10:42 PM »
It is addictive...I just got a new batch in the mail, plus I got the split rings and hooks as well...
\"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person.\" Fred Bear

boondox

« Reply #20 on: Feb 25, 2016, 11:06 PM »
It is addictive...I just got a new batch in the mail, plus I got the split rings and hooks as well...

I am not sure what you fish for but check out fish stalkers at grapentin specialties or is it enterprises you can find them on ebay for like 12 or 6 packs of lure for like $8-$12 you paint but be warned they even have lures you assemble the body hook holder or figure 8's  with glue..  so be warned. so read the adds  you can also go to grapentin's  store just google them  they got a web store out side of e-bay... they got some cool lures for trolling for walleyes  even have paint your own pencil plugs...if you use that sort of lures. I fish a lot of walleye. etc with their lures....

Huntny30

« Reply #21 on: Feb 25, 2016, 11:25 PM »
I normally jig for Walleyes using bucktails and blades, but I am spending a ton more time at my camp which is on lake ontario.  The best method for consistent Ontario eyes will be covering lots of water and trolling.  I also fish for Browns, Steelhead, Lakers and Kings a little every year.  I will be doing some more of that as well with my new boat.  I already have a pretty good assortment of Trout plugs and spoons...I am trying to stock up on Walleye stuff.  My new challenge is to figure out the 10+ pound eyes...

Huntny30

« Reply #22 on: Feb 25, 2016, 11:30 PM »
They are all sold out now, but I like the looks of the blanks they sell!  I will keep my eyes open for them!

boondox

« Reply #23 on: Feb 25, 2016, 11:32 PM »
I normally jig for Walleyes using bucktails and blades, but I am spending a ton more time at my camp which is on lake ontario.  The best method for consistent Ontario eyes will be covering lots of water and trolling.  I also fish for Browns, Steelhead, Lakers and Kings a little every year.  I will be doing some more of that as well with my new boat.  I already have a pretty good assortment of Trout plugs and spoons...I am trying to stock up on Walleye stuff.  My new challenge is to figure out the 10+ pound eyes...

early spring is when the big one are easy to target if you can try early spring near the rivers mouths not in the river but closer to the mouths cause these fish go to spawn and are either the first or last ones threw and may not even make it to the rivers...

boondox

« Reply #24 on: Feb 25, 2016, 11:34 PM »
They are all sold out now, but I like the looks of the blanks they sell!  I will keep my eyes open for them!

if looking for spoons try hagen's fishing supply it's some thing you should know about lure building is hagens 

Huntny30

« Reply #25 on: Feb 25, 2016, 11:54 PM »
I found some fish stalkers on ebay...I ordered a few...more fun!

boondox

« Reply #26 on: Feb 26, 2016, 02:11 AM »
I found some fish stalkers on ebay...I ordered a few...more fun!

I like the ones with the silver Mylar inserts let me know if you get the glue together kind. I may have a few inserts laying around that are silver if you need a picture of these let me know I can ship them out to you if need be for free if their the glue together kind... 

I wish they made a 3.5 inch fish stalker that why I buy a lot of lure from fishusa.com lol's I use a Mylar insert in the center of my body bait that reflects more kind of like the yozuri 3db minnows...

yep more fun do you use flat fish like lure Jensen brand or yakima bait companies flat fish? they sell a wood version on ebay every once in a wile they cost like $25 for 25 of them you will need eye screws and paint to paint them we use them along the bottom when there eating "crays" with a worm tethered to the hooks... on like a bottom bouncer...and a short leader like 1 to 3 foot long crayfish  color work on those...

Huntny30

« Reply #27 on: Feb 26, 2016, 08:18 AM »
These didn't look like they needed any glue...they looked like they were just bodies ready for paint and hardware...

boondox

« Reply #28 on: Feb 26, 2016, 08:55 AM »
These didn't look like they needed any glue...they looked like they were just bodies ready for paint and hardware...

that why I said read the add... if any thing testor's model glue will do. a dab will do lol's  I post a picture of a matzuo in a bit I just found out how to do give me a few to post it.. 

boondox

« Reply #29 on: Feb 26, 2016, 09:05 AM »
if you need to know how to do the silver laser sides on this one just ask...I can describe it...if you ever done or heard of old leafing you will find out about this they use a tee shirt transfer foil and the glue from gold leafing... to get the sparkle sides very cool after three hours of searching finally found out how to make it my self.. lols' then just paint the top black and the bottom white and a little red tuft on it and your done and ready for clear coat...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.