FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Motor Mount Electric Trolling Mtrs.  (Read 3409 times)

blaque

Motor Mount Electric Trolling Mtrs.
« on: Jul 07, 2005, 02:50 PM »
Starting the hunt for an electric......have a 18' open bow fish and ski fiberglass (85 dynasty) Ive got limited bow space to mount a bow mount minnkota, but would like the control of mounting up front as opposed to mounting in the back (i think it  would pull better than it would push im guessing?) BUt like i said, its gonna be a pain to mount, and now.......I  just ran into a motor mount MinnKota 54 lbs thrust and 24 volts........this would be the easiest ive seen as far as my mounting woes, (mounts right to the lower unit) but again, it would be pushing the boat, will i sacrifice control? and i was leaning toward 65 lbs thrust which the motor mount doesnt offer? IM SO CONFUSED!!!  So i want to know the trade offs should i take the pain in the arse mount up front and have to make up some rigged bracketry, but have the thrust and control i want........and be pulling the boat, or should i get a transom mount motor for the back (which really wont work because i need space for a gas kicker eventually), or like i said, the motor mount minn kota at only 54 lbs thrust. Please Help!! If i dont get help Im gonna end up in another  indecisive circle and still not have a motor again in a month LOL!!

Fisher50

Re: Motor Mount Electric Trolling Mtrs.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2005, 08:21 PM »
Minkota power drive or auto pilot models have a pretty small bracket.  Can't imagine your boat won't have room to mount it.  But, even if it doesn't, Cabelas have a bracket that will allow you to mount a bow mount on a boat with no mounting space at all.  They call it a "small craft bow trolling motor mount."  Designed for the small open fishing boats. 

There is always a way to make what you want work.  At least most of the time.  Good luck.  If you want boat control, I don't think the transom or motor mount will do what you are after.  If you just plan on trolling with it, I would think the transom or motor mount would be fine. 

My $.02.  Good luck.
"But she's in good shape for the shape she's in...cause she's been through the fire before, and I believe she can take a whole lot more...So we raise her up every morning, we take her down every night, we don't let her touch the ground, and we fold her up right...on second thought, I do like to brag, cause I'm mighty proud of that ragged old flag." -Johnny Cash

blaque

« Reply #2 on: Jul 08, 2005, 06:54 AM »
THanks fisher.........Ill look into that, How long will a 24 volt system last me? 2 hours, all day? I was jsut thinking of using the motor for control, cruising a weedline, or getting into docks, bass fishing kinda stuff, why would i be able to troll open water as well.........i didnt know the electric would get that done? My plan was to get a small 9.9 kicker down the line for that. Hmmm.

eyedoktr

« Reply #3 on: Jul 08, 2005, 07:51 AM »
Blaque, even with the smaller 27 series batteries, a 24 volt system will last all day unless you're in heavy winds , heavy current or you just wanna go fast. Even though I have a kicker on the boat, I've used my electric for trolling on occassion. It's nice to have a stealth presentation. If the water is calm, there's no reason you can't use the electric. I have also used both motors together. I have the kicker propelling the boat and the MinnKota autopilot steering. Works pretty slick.
Pete Lewis

blaque

« Reply #4 on: Jul 08, 2005, 09:20 AM »
Thanks for the info guys........sounds like Im getting closer to taking the plunge, cant sit on my duff too much longer just contemplating and wondering what to do.......Its a little intimidating though , the coin im gonna spend and the choices I have to make to make sure i spend it wisely..........Autopilot, power drive, bow, tansom, 55 lbs thrust, 70 lbs trhrust, on board chargers, brackets to mount on a non conventional boat, tiller steer, foot pedal, remote? Oiy YENNA!! lol Thanks for inchin me along though guys, i need the BOOT pretty soon.

eyedoktr

« Reply #5 on: Jul 08, 2005, 09:37 AM »
If you decide on the MinnKota, I  would go with the Auto Pilot and Universal transducer. You can always add the co-pilot  later. If you get the universal transducer now, you can add a bow mount fish finder when you are able (financially that is) to.
Pete Lewis

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.