FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Using A downRigger??  (Read 3824 times)

CarogaKid

• If the fish aren't Biting....Grab another Beer!!
Using A downRigger??
« on: Aug 19, 2005, 10:00 AM »
I just got a cannon downrigger and was wondering if I have to compensate for the depth. If I want to run my bait at 50feet do I just let out 50 feet of downrigger cable or do i need a few more feet to compensate for the ball drag?? Also how far should I run my bait behind the release clip?? Thanks in advance..  :-[

Coldfeet

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Using A downRigger??
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2005, 10:47 AM »
I am by far no expert at this but from what little I know, I will say this: First you didn't say what size ball you are running so with that I would say. All weights have to be run deeper than 50' to fish your lure at 50' due to the bow in the cable that is created by trolling. How much deeper depends on ball weight, speed, wind direction, current (even in a lake). Now again you didn't mention what kind of lures you are fishing so say you are running a flutter spoon it doesn't really sink or dive much it runs pretty flat so if your ball is set and running at 50' the spoon will be close to the same. Now if you are running a crank bait you might have to add the depth that the crank bait runs to the ball depth. Say the crank bait runs 12ft deep you might want to start running the ball at 38' to get the bait down to 50'. Again this has a variable also because the crankbait diving depth varies on line size and amount of line behind the release on the ball. Until you figure this out one thing most anglers who use downriggers do is run stacker's They will allow you to run diffrent rigs at diffrent depths on the same cable. But be aware that you do not want to run diving baits above flat running baits this will only bring on a massive headache in tangles run the deeper diving baits on bottom and work you way up the cable to flatter running lures also as you put lures higher up the cable shorten the leader length from the cable to the lure this will help keep the tangles down as you make turns with the boat or change speeds. As far as how far you run a lure behind the release, that all varies with what kind of fish you are fishing and with water clarity or how spooky the fish are. The fish will let you know by slamming the lure what they want. Experamenting with this is your guide I have heard on some lakes you need to drop back as much as 200' some times only 10' will get fish. If you know of someone who has fished this way before invite him out with you to show you the ropes on this kind of fishing, learning from a experienced angler will cut down on a lot of time learning it just by yourself. Also as you learn this new way of fishing keep a log so when you get home you can look over what you did that day and the next trip out you can add more things methods to what you did that day or go back to the things that worked. There are many more guys on this site who fish with riggers and should be able to help you out more with this, I just thought I would give you a small insight of what you need to know.
Cold Feet
Did you put the plug in the boat?

NormS

« Reply #2 on: Aug 19, 2005, 10:56 AM »
Yup I agree with coldfeet, lots of variables. Strongly suggest you buy a book on trolling with downriggers, will save you alot of time, frustration and aggravation. Generally you will alway's let out more off the rigger to compensate for the angle of rigger wire entering the water. For precision depth (non aggressive fish) you can purposely bump bottom with your lure at the depth you want to troll and take note of how many feet of wire off the rigger is out when the release trips. Or if you have a wide angle transducer with your fish finder you can actually read it (alot easier). As far as lure behind the ball release that depends on the species of fish and presentation you want to make, Lake Trout I'll let out 50 to 100+ ft, Muskies only 15 to 30+ ft but I do experiment every trip to see what works best on a given body of water or day for that matter. Iv'e found that using lures that run slightly above or below the ball depth (2 to 6ft.) work best, never did well with deep diving lures. I'm still learning myself no expert for sure but do wish I did alot more reading to accent the learning curve when I first started.  Ask alot of question's and if possible go out with someone who is experienced, only thing better than reading is seeing.
Good Luck and Good Fishing.
Norm

pieman1998

« Reply #3 on: Aug 19, 2005, 05:28 PM »
it depends on weigh of ball & how fast you are going

fishmix

• striper mania!!!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 20, 2005, 09:08 AM »
buy a really good graph that will show the ball. then you know right where it is no matter the size.
Trollin-Trollin-Trollin.........Get those lakers trollin!

CarogaKid

• If the fish aren't Biting....Grab another Beer!!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2005, 09:05 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys.. Hopefully I can get out this weekend and put it to some good use. Thanks again...

CarogaKid

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.