FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Downrigger Tune Up  (Read 4422 times)

baginwal

• MFF Mod Team
  • No Politics Just Fish!
Downrigger Tune Up
« on: Sep 22, 2005, 08:53 AM »
Hey Guys,

How many of you have your downriggers serviced at the end of the season?   Awhile ago my friend, who operates a charter business (7 boat fleet) recommended getting them checked out every other year.  I was told there are washers (among other items) that wear out and can cause problems down the road.  The authorized Cannon dealer that I use, charges next to nothing unless service is needed.  One of my riggers had the washers replaced and I did notice a significant difference in the smoothness during decent and retrieval. 

The other nice thing (at least with Cannon riggers) is if something is found defective, it is replaced free of charge (parts and labor) regardless of age.  One of my Marlin HP's keyboard crapped out after 13 yrs of use and it was replaced free.

So........do you get them checked out or not?

baginwal

• MFF Mod Team
  • No Politics Just Fish!
Re: Downrigger Tune Up
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2005, 11:20 AM »
Who do you get to do this.
I can't see a guy doing this for free and also putting in parts on 5 year old riggers, free of charge.  Maybe in the first year or two.
But, heck, I'm all ears.
Thanks.
Mac

Mac,
You have mail.

Hilltopper

« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2005, 01:23 PM »
Hey, c'mon, you post that awsome sounding deal and then send private email to tell about it ??? Seriously, though, I have a manual Canon downrigger that's running a bit rough that I would love to have serviced. Help!

baginwal

• MFF Mod Team
  • No Politics Just Fish!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2005, 01:50 PM »
Hilltopper,

I also sent you a PM further explaining what I believe to be the "Free part" of the deal.  As I stated above, my keyboard was replaced free of charge due to it being judged a defective board.  When I dropped it off, the service rep told me when he pulled off the old board, he would better be able to determine if the damage was due to my negligence (leaving them on in the rain, hence water buildup, etc, thus not covered by warranty) or if the part was indeed defective.  I needed it repaired, so I told him I would happily pay for the work, if it wasn't covered.  Maybe I got lucky?

baginwal

• MFF Mod Team
  • No Politics Just Fish!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 22, 2005, 02:05 PM »
Hey Mac,

Looks like we brought the "Trolling Forum" back to life after a long drought! ;D

Barleydog

• Wishin' I was a fishin'
« Reply #5 on: Sep 22, 2005, 03:49 PM »
Anyone here deal with Scotty?  I have 3 and love them!  The service on these riggers is lifetime and when I send one in for service, they go above and beyond!  Kinda like a tune up?  I do run Salt-a-way through all my equipment prior to winter storage.  Shoot the locking nuts with a little WD-40.

baginwal

• MFF Mod Team
  • No Politics Just Fish!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 22, 2005, 03:53 PM »
Barleydog,

My friend has a charter business and has Cannon's  and Scotty downriggers on different boats within his fleet.  He loves them both.  Great riggers!

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2005, 06:24 PM »
Hey BD
Got A Scotty smaller one. Great  little unit. Use it for rainbows.
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.