FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: CHARCOAL GRILLERS UNITE!!!  (Read 158152 times)

jkoegel

• Born to fish, forced to work.
Re: CHARCOAL GRILLERS UNITE!!!
« Reply #75 on: Jun 15, 2009, 04:04 PM »
The maple is a good choice for smoke, sugar maple will give you a nice mild smokiness. I use the branches green right off the tree. No soaking needed.

Last night I did a couple NYS finger lakes landlocked salmon fillets on a cedar plank. Skin side down brushed olive oil and sprinkled with McCormick's citrus grill seasoning. I wish I would have taken a picture, looked like something out of a cook book when they were done. But they didnt stick around long.  ;D

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #76 on: Jun 15, 2009, 05:14 PM »
You guys ever try onion steaks?

Take a great big vidalia onion and cut it real thick like you are going to make some mamma huge onion rings. I usually cut them a minimum of 1/4 inch thick.  Make sure you keep the rings together as you cut to keep the onion slice whole. Run a skewer through the slice to keep the rings together as you cook. sometimes you need to use two skewers if the onion is super big, they can get pretty soft while cooking. Coat both sides of the onion with olive oil and garlic powder.

Throw them on the grill as soon as you put the meat on and let them get good and caramelized on both sides. By now your steaks should be flipped over, so put the grilled onion on top of the steak for the remainder of the steaks cooking time. This adds flavor to the steak and the onion.

Serve the steak with this slab of onion still on top of it. People go nuts for this, even people who don't like onions that much.

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #77 on: Jun 15, 2009, 06:54 PM »
i had london broil, and perch/crappie fillets with cajun seasoning last night. ;D

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

jkoegel

• Born to fish, forced to work.
« Reply #78 on: Jun 16, 2009, 01:14 PM »
I usually grill up the onion slabs every time i make burgers. I brush mine with a little worchestire sauce or balsamic vinegarette. If I'm cooking steak......mushrooms and onions in the veggie basket.
And no, I can never spell those 2 words. Even though I grill with both of them on a regular basis.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #79 on: Jun 16, 2009, 04:19 PM »
Worcestershire...and, although  generally bastardized by American English...Vinaigrette

As far as my cookbook is concerned...you could say Worster sauce and Balsamic dressing and I'd get the idea.

Sounds yummy.

Sad evening for me....went to the market, picked up a 12 of Heineken (I'm on vacation), some EDY's French vanilla a quart of fresh strawberries from a stand up the road for desert.

Went to put the chicken on the rotisserie to find I was out of charcoal.......it's in the oven......bummer >:(

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #80 on: Jun 16, 2009, 04:24 PM »
Hey...do any of you use the Weber Remote Thermometer? I have one ..My kids gave it to me for father's day a few years back. I love it! :thumbup_smilie:

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #81 on: Jun 16, 2009, 05:21 PM »
They look like a nice deal, but I am still in the stone age. I think I should get one so the lid stays on more.  I use an old fashioned meat thermometer on roasts, and intuitive feel on chops and steaks. I use the color change probes from my earlier post on fish, fish needs to be JUST RIGHT!

I use an oven thermometer like this one right on the grate....

It is super handy to tell me where my fire is at. I think the biggest achievement of a Webber griller is the art of heat control. You cant get things "just right" until you master this. Some people like to stick a meat thermometer in through one of the vent holes for this, but I want to know how hot the cooking surface is, not the lid. ;)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #82 on: Jun 16, 2009, 06:05 PM »
Yeah I agree on heat control. I can usually guess within 10 degrees, but the key to BBQ is DON'T PEEK!  I confess. I don't use it much on the grill. Red meat is easy, fish a snap, Poultry is a guessing game. I use it in the oven all the time. Even for pies.

RG

Marcus

« Reply #83 on: Jun 16, 2009, 06:12 PM »
I go by instincts. I have been wrong but normally all is well.   I bought a grilling fork with a meat thermometer built in and the thing was cool until I cleaned it, oops.   I guess they are not to be submerged.   Beef i do not worry much   chicken I just overcook  for pork I like to be sure and that is when I pull out the old meat thermometer. I am getting a new grill for father's day   it looks real nice and is not cheap especially considering it is a charcoal.   I have given up (for now) on my backyard smoker   my wife wants to move this year and I am not planning on moving the monstrosity I had planned on building.  I did pork-kabobs the other night and they came out better than expected   using  mesquite chips and fairly low heat ...   Now my kids want them everynight which is fine by me  ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #84 on: Jul 03, 2009, 07:17 AM »
Let's see some 4th of July feasts ;D

Ribs for me :P
RG

KingPerch

« Reply #85 on: Jul 04, 2009, 12:07 PM »
Let's see some 4th of July feasts ;D

Ribs for me :P
RG
Sounds great to me when you starting the grill ::) Have a great 4th :flag:--KingPerch
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #86 on: Jul 04, 2009, 12:33 PM »

18 pound turkey while camping. Just falling off the stick.

Only takes 10 pounds of charcoal and about 2 hours..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #87 on: Jul 04, 2009, 01:45 PM »
Garbage can turkey....MMMMMMMMMMM! That's a beautiful thing :flag:

Kingperch,
The grill is starting in about 10 minutes, the Heineken is cold and I'm ready.

Have a great 4th everyone.

The best to all those serving our country so we can enjoy this holiday in peace.
 :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag:Thank You!
RG

Marcus

« Reply #88 on: Jul 04, 2009, 01:47 PM »
10 lb beef briscuit on the charcoal at 10 am  should be good by 4     happy 4th all
that turkey looks good

KingPerch

« Reply #89 on: Jul 05, 2009, 03:22 PM »
Garbage can turkey....MMMMMMMMMMM! That's a beautiful thing :flag:

Kingperch,
The grill is starting in about 10 minutes, the Heineken is cold and I'm ready.

Have a great 4th everyone.

The best to all those serving our country so we can enjoy this holiday in peace.
 :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag:Thank You!
RG
Thanks for the invite!! I'll catch up with you on the next 4th!! Hope those ribs were good, Only need some Labatt Blue then were talking11 ;D Take care, KingPerch :)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.