FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: CHARCOAL GRILLERS UNITE!!!  (Read 158404 times)

Huntny30

• "What ever you are, be a good one." Abe
Re: CHARCOAL GRILLERS UNITE!!!
« Reply #330 on: May 28, 2012, 09:34 AM »
That looks phenominal!  I am a trader I invested in a new tru infrared grill... :-[ :-[  Works great though when I get home at 7-8 at night and need to grill stuff up real quick... :-[ :-[
\"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person.\" Fred Bear

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #331 on: May 28, 2012, 02:12 PM »
You  can park a Webber right next to it for when you have time to do it right! :D

My brother has a gas grill sitting next to his webber, there is no shame in it! ;D

Huntny30

• "What ever you are, be a good one." Abe
« Reply #332 on: May 28, 2012, 05:06 PM »
Good Call... ;D
\"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person.\" Fred Bear

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #333 on: Jun 02, 2012, 05:48 PM »
Thinking about buying a new grill but dont know how to get it on the deck............. ::) ::) :o :o

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #334 on: Jun 03, 2012, 02:34 AM »
I like it Dom! Just build a bigger deck ;D

RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

peddler

« Reply #335 on: Jun 03, 2012, 04:25 AM »
I use a Weber Performer Grill. it lights the charcoal with propane. It uses 1# tanks and it's only about 6 or 8 minutes to get the charcoal started. No stinky smell or taste from charcoal starter and I use real lump charcoal not briquettes that are glued together.

Peddler

surflizard

« Reply #336 on: Jun 03, 2012, 05:43 AM »
I've got an idea where we can get ya a prime piece of Pork for that new grill ! :thumbup_smilie: Ya might have to trim it up just a bit to get it to fit though !

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #337 on: Jun 03, 2012, 05:17 PM »
I use a Weber Performer Grill. it lights the charcoal with propane. It uses 1# tanks and it's only about 6 or 8 minutes to get the charcoal started. No stinky smell or taste from charcoal starter and I use real lump charcoal not briquettes that are glued together.

Peddler
Back up the charcoal train there bud.

"Here is the official ingredient list for Kingsford Charcoal Briquets from a company press release, including the purpose of each ingredient in parentheses. The explanation after each ingredient is my own.

Wood char (Heat source)
    This is simply the wood by-products I mentioned above, burned down into charcoal—almost pure carbon. In the case of Kingsford, they use woods like fir, cedar, and alder that are local to the regions in which they operate—Burnside and Summer Shade, Kentucky; Glen, Mississippi; Belle, Missouri; Springfield, Oregon; and Beryl and Parsons, West Virginia.

Mineral char (Heat source)
    This is a geologically young form of coal with a soft, brown texture. It helps Kingsford burn hotter and longer than a plain charcoal briquette. As with the wood, Kingsford heats this material in an oxygen-controlled environment, eliminating water, nitrogen, and other elements, leaving behind—almost pure carbon.

Mineral carbon (Heat source)
    This is anthracite coal, the old, hard, black stuff once commonly used for home heating. It helps Kingsford burn hotter and longer than a plain charcoal briquette. It's already 86-98% pure carbon, but once again, Kingsford processes it in an oxygen-controlled environment, leaving behind—almost pure carbon.

What exactly is coal, you ask? "Nasty stuff," some folks say. Well, coal is a fossil fuel, most of which was formed more than 300 million years ago. To make a really, really long story short: Plants and trees died, sank to the bottom of swampy areas, accumulated into many layers, then geologic processes covered the stuff with sand, clay, and rock, and the combination of heat and pressure converted it into what we call coal.

So, coal is really old plant material that can be processed into almost pure carbon. Charcoal is wood that is burned down into almost pure carbon. Not much difference, in my book. End of coal lesson.

Limestone (Uniform visual ashing)
    Limestone creates the pretty, white coating of ash you see after lighting the briquettes. Limestone is a sedimentary rock consisting of calcium carbonate—also found in egg shells, antacids, and calcium dietary supplements.

Starch (Binder)
    As mentioned above, starch is used to hold briquettes together, and is found in corn, wheat, potatoes, and rice.

Borax (Press release)
    Borax is used in small amounts to help briquettes release from the molds. But isn't Borax a detergent? Well, yes, it is, but it's actually a naturally-occurring mineral that is non-toxic in the quantities we're talking about in a briquette. It consists of sodium, boron, oxygen, and water. You already know what oxygen and water are. Sodium is a common element found in lots of stuff we eat, including salt. Boron is an element that is necessary in small quantities for plant growth. Borax is commonly used in cosmetics and medicines.

Sodium nitrate (Ignition aid)
    This is the same stuff used to cure meat. According to Robert L. Wolke, professor emeritus of chemistry at the University of Pittsburgh, sodium nitrate gives off oxygen when heated, helping the briquettes to light faster.

Sawdust (Ignition aid)
    Sawdust burns quickly, helping the briquettes to light faster."

Did you notice there was no mention of "petroleum by-products" or "toxic waste"? What about "fillers"? Looks like every ingredient is there for a purpose—to improve the performance of the product.

My message to you is this: Don't let people scare you away from briquettes, Kingsford or any other brand. They're a perfectly good product to use for making great barbecue!"

From; The Virtual Weber Bullet

RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #338 on: Jun 03, 2012, 07:16 PM »
Now that the charcoal train is backed all the way up to the station...

The
stinky smell or taste from charcoal starter
is needless and a total waste of time and money. You can use one of these to get charcoal going in a flash.

If no electricity is available, chimney starters work quite well too.

Both items cost about as much as three bottles of starting fluid, so they are quite economical if you do any number of barbequed meals.

As far as natural lump.... it burns super hot for a short amount of time. It is very difficult to control the temp or get it at a lower temp without killing it. It has a place, and I do use it, but KINGSFORD briquettes are my number one fuel. If I am gonna do a pork shoulder with some hickory smoke, I don't have the patience or skill to use cheap briquettes or lump.   

surflizard

« Reply #339 on: Jun 04, 2012, 06:32 AM »
I use the pitchwood firestarters called Lightning Nuggets and my charcoal chimney, No fuss and no Muss ! I started using the Golden Oak hardwood charcoal 2 years ago and I get better results on my Low and Slow cooking with it !
 The best grilling move I ever made was talking to the farmer with the apple orchard up the road. I help him prune the orchard up in the spring and now I have all the applewood that I can carry ! :thumbup_smilie:

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #340 on: Jun 05, 2012, 01:02 AM »
I still use the chimney and my ceramic ball soaked in denatured alcohol. A full chimney will come to a good start in about 5 minutes. Zero odor. Zero taste.

RG

KingPerch

« Reply #341 on: Jun 05, 2012, 11:25 AM »
I like it Dom! Just build a bigger deck ;D

RG

I think I can help in that dept.!!!! ::) What's cooking Dom? I'll bring the tools!! ;D--KP  Cool grill!! 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #342 on: Jun 05, 2012, 11:28 AM »
I think I can help in that dept.!!!! ::) 

I do need a new pool deck..... ;D    Thats my next project after I finish my master bathroom...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

maineduckhunter

• Alaskan King Salmon
« Reply #343 on: Jun 05, 2012, 11:29 AM »
Leg of Lamb!!!  :P  (venison)  ;D

KingPerch

« Reply #344 on: Jun 05, 2012, 11:36 AM »
    I do need a new pool deck..... ;D    Thats my next project after I finish my master bathroom...
Like I said.." What's cooking Dom?".... ;D Make sure you have that squirrel launcher loaded and ready to go too!!--KP ;D
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.