FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: CHARCOAL GRILLERS UNITE!!!  (Read 157516 times)

OTIS

Re: CHARCOAL GRILLERS UNITE!!!
« Reply #360 on: Jul 08, 2012, 06:24 PM »
My sisters toolbag boyfriend

HOLY SMOKES, that's funny!
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #361 on: Jul 12, 2012, 04:16 PM »
Don't encourage him Otis...he a big enough smart ass ;D

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

OTIS

« Reply #362 on: Jul 12, 2012, 04:33 PM »
Think he passed it on to the little ones?  :D

There's hope...I haven't met his bride :-\
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

Dark Cloud

« Reply #363 on: Jul 12, 2012, 05:40 PM »
Im working on something for you two...

MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

TheDL

« Reply #364 on: Jul 13, 2012, 09:47 AM »
Hey guys,

I picked up my first charcoal grill today  ;D  after these inspiring posts you all have.  It's just a little hibache style thing I intend to use camping and the like.  I have no idea what I'm doing, and I know there's some experienced charcoal grillers here.  Please help me out here, any info you can provide on lighting, maintaining/checking temp, etc would be really helpfull.  I don't think the grill can be lowered/raised, but it does have top and side venting.  I've got a nice thick (2") salmon steak I'm going to try on it tonite.  I've also got one of these http://www.emerilstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=20BA002 that I was thinking of using for the salmon, but not sure if it's overkill.  I had planned on a soy/maple glaze as the wife isn't big on the "fishy" salmonoids.  I was also considering picking up some untreated cedar planks and trying that.

thanks!
tight lines....

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #365 on: Jul 15, 2012, 12:22 AM »
The good news is, you are beginning a journey into a fabulous way of cooking. The bad news is, those little smokey joes are much more difficult to regulate heat than her larger siblings. The trick is to get your coals started evenly, and getting them raked out evenly. The next step getting the temp down to a level that you can cook the food through without it being raw on the inside and burnt on the outside, and not putting the coals out in the process.

First, start out with something that isn't too thick. Get your coals started, rake them out, and put the lid on with the vents open for five minutes. Put your food on and immediately put the lid back on. When it's starting to smell way too good, take the lid off, flip the food, and give it a few more minutes. The easiest way to check for done is with a meat thermometer. If you don't have one, go buy a regular meat thermometer before you even light the grill.

Biggest tip... keep the lid on! ;D

TheDL

« Reply #366 on: Jul 16, 2012, 08:08 AM »
Thanks Skipper.  Yeah, I figured the little 'smokey joe' wouldn't be ideal, but it was cheap and if it's as great as I expect there will likey be an upgrade in the future. 

Good tips, I also picked up a "chimney" style starter which I saw in this thread.  I can't find "lump" charcoal around here...just briquettes, which I know some of you may argue are fine, and others not.  Can I just use some half-burtn wood/charcoal out of the firepit?  What about those "smoking wood chip" bags...just throw 'em onto the coals after soaking, or in a little dish on the grill?

What's the difference in the top vs. side vents?

How do I put the thing out when I'm done cooking?  Can I re-use the charcoal after, or how do I tell when the charcoal is toast and needs to be replaced?  I do have a meat thermometer that I use for everything.  I will be taking it up to the camp this weekend and giving it a full test drive  ;D
tight lines....

howesfc

« Reply #367 on: Jul 19, 2012, 08:45 PM »
The wife and I stared out with a Smokey Joe Gold and some of the best chicken breast I ever ate were cooked in it! ;)

TheDL

« Reply #368 on: Jul 23, 2012, 09:54 AM »
Yep, I have to agree - best grilling ever!  ;D First time I didn't get the charcoal hot enough in the chimney before dumping it in the grill....it looked hot and ashed-over, but the burgers didn't even sizzle when I dumped them on, had to do them on the gas grill :-\ 

Next night I just used a lot more charcoal (filled the chimey) and left it in the chimney burning for a good 30 minutes before I dumped it on the grill.  Did come bone-in chicken breasts, seemed to take forever (probably on there for close to an hour), but I had no thermometer and didn't want to cut it open to check done-ness, so I left it a little longer.  It was delicious!!  Not dried out at all and nice and smoky tasting.   I don't know why I can't get the temp up higher though?  I leave the bottom/side vents wide open and the top one closed, I would think that would be max temp?  ???

So, what do you guys do when you're done cooking, just let the charcoal burn out? 

Can you use it again?
tight lines....

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #369 on: Jul 23, 2012, 10:18 PM »
Open the top vents wide open. If you close them, there is no flow through and you choke (starve for oxygen) the coals out. I rarely close them more than 75%

Coals are single use. I just let them burn out. They burn out MUCH faster with the lid off.

TheDL

« Reply #370 on: Jul 24, 2012, 07:42 AM »
Open the top vents wide open. If you close them, there is no flow through and you choke (starve for oxygen) the coals out. I rarely close them more than 75%

Coals are single use. I just let them burn out. They burn out MUCH faster with the lid off.
Ohhhhh, maybe that was my problem.  I figured the side vents fed in oxygen and top vents were to control temp.  Thanks again skipper!
tight lines....

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #371 on: Jul 24, 2012, 06:32 PM »
It is not an exact science, there are too many things that can effect the barbecue to make blanket statements. Here are a few things that may help you though...

Air flows though... Cool air in the bottom vents, hot air out the top vents. Closing either completely will kill the burn.

Wind and air temp can have a huge effect on things. What worked last week, may not work this week. You will have to learn how to "tune" it.

Once the coals are ready to go, put the lid on for ten minutes. If its too cold after ten minutes, open vents, too hot, close them down.

Try to cook out of the wind. Wind complicates things.

TheDL

« Reply #372 on: Jul 25, 2012, 08:17 AM »
thanks again skipper.  Yep, I keep the bbq shielded from the wind.  I'm almost certain my problem was having the top vent closed. 
tight lines....

Santo180

« Reply #373 on: Feb 02, 2013, 10:34 AM »

I plan on smoking tomorrow for the superbowl.  I'm in NY and obviously it will be cold outside.  I've never done a winter smoke before and am looking for suggestions.  I've had great success smoking in the warmer months.  I like the waterheater insulation idea but am looking for others.  I'm planning on doing a pulled pork, a chicken, and a rack or two of ribs.  It's a charcoal smoker with an offset firebox.  I figure I can get the heat up by just moving the food closer to the firebox which I have done this past fall.  I'm hoping someone on here has done a winter smoke before and I'd love to hear how it came out.  I'm thinking I'll probably need to pre cook in the oven.

bailey63

« Reply #374 on: Feb 02, 2013, 09:07 PM »
Just the opposite santo start in the smoker and of you can't get the temp up finish in the oven wrap ribs in foil 325 degrees and cook till done with all even wrap the pork but or leave unwrapped to crisp the chicken may have to sit out a bit because it will finish quick try to get at least 3 hrs in smoker for it to work its magic. I hope you found time to give the nird s nice salty brown suger bath if not look up brines quick and get it swimming. Add some garlic and peppercorns to the brine slso hell even onion it all adds flavor. Good luck
Fishing WNY on "facebook"
22' Islander "H"EYE STRUNG
Fishing is more than what I do it's who I am!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.