FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: CHARCOAL GRILLERS UNITE!!!  (Read 157691 times)

Mac Attack

Re: CHARCOAL GRILLERS UNITE!!!
« Reply #705 on: Jul 22, 2018, 02:19 PM »
When resting in the fridge for 3 days is the meat in zip locks, sealed container, or open on a platter or large open bowl?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #706 on: Jul 22, 2018, 04:30 PM »
Good question Mac.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #707 on: Jul 22, 2018, 04:40 PM »
Think we need to start a "Smoking food" thread.

I tried about 8 different titles, they just didn't seem right :-\

I must be getting too politically correct or something.

Rg

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #708 on: Jul 22, 2018, 04:42 PM »
When resting in the fridge for 3 days is the meat in zip locks, sealed container, or open on a platter or large open bowl?
A zip-lock is fine or in a glass cake/roasting pan covered in plastic wrap.  You don't want to dry it out or make everything in the fridge smell like brisket rub.   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #709 on: Jul 22, 2018, 04:45 PM »
Think we need to start a "Smoking food" thread.

I tried about 8 different titles, they just didn't seem right :-\

I must be getting too politically correct or something.

Rg
How about "Smoke 'Em if You Got 'Em" ? Lol.  ;D
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #710 on: Jul 22, 2018, 06:41 PM »
It's an idea for sure.

I take it your recipe is for some huge hunk of brisket. I'm thinking on a much smaller scale....I think. Or is brisket only a large piece of meat?

Rg

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #711 on: Jul 22, 2018, 07:49 PM »
Well, think of buying a corned beef brisket. You can buy point cuts and flat cuts.  A whole brisket is both in one piece. But, that's the size of a chunk of you're going to get (5-7 lbs.). I doubt you're butcher will sell you half of either. Never heard of it. I honestly don't think I've seen fresh brisket in stores other than whole. Ask your butcher.

But don't try to speed the process by going with a tiny piece. Low and Slow is the key or it will be tough and disappointing. 12-14 hours.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #712 on: Jul 23, 2018, 02:51 AM »
Gotcha!

Thanks Bill!

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #713 on: Jul 23, 2018, 06:51 AM »
Did a little research. Corned beef brisket is definitely the next cook. Found several good recipes.

Rg

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #714 on: Jul 23, 2018, 07:04 AM »
I've never smoked a corned beef brisket. If I did, I don't think I'd rub it because it's already flavored.

Did your new smoker come with a recipe book? They usually have some little pamphlet. Just curious what that would say about brisket.   ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #715 on: Jul 23, 2018, 07:31 AM »
It did come with a recipe book. I didn't like the looks of their recipe online. I found one that's more of a Texas style BBQ cook that I'm gonna try. I'll do it next Saturday.

Stubb's smoked corned beef brisket.
Ingredients:
3-5 LB Corned Beef Brisket
Stubb’s Steak Spice Rub

Directions: 
Corned Beef:
Remove the corned beef from its package and run under cold water to remove any excess brine. Pat dry with a paper towel.  Season with enough to Stubb’s Steak Spice Rub to coat entire brisket. (Approximately 6 TBS on a 5 LB corned beef brisket.) Once the seasoning is applied, it’s time to fire up the smoker. Set your grill/smoker up for indirect heat and 275° degrees. Throw in a few pecan wood chunks once you reach 275° degrees and you are ready to go.
Smoke your corned beef for 3 hours, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 160° degrees. Place in deep foil pan and add enough water to cover 1/3 of your corned beef. This water will help remove any excess salt from the brisket as well as tenderize the meat. Cover tightly with foil and place back on the grill. Continue cooking for another hour. Add potatoes, carrots and chunked onions and return to grill. Cook until internal temp reaches 195° degrees. The potatoes, carrots and onions should be fork tender at this point. Let your corned beef rest in the foiled pan for 30 minutes before removing and slicing. Always slice against the grain to ensure ultimate tenderness.

They have a recipe for a smoked cabbage to go with it. There's others that finish out of the foil, but I like the sounds of this one. I can taste it already.......on a big kimmelweck roll with thousand island dressing and horseradish....mmmmmmm!

Rg

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #716 on: Jul 23, 2018, 10:14 AM »
I have made many smoked briskets and never have they disappointed me or anyone at the parties. All of the above advice is absolutely great. However, I like to do it a little different by taking it a step further. What I like to do is brine the brisket (and other meats) for 3 days before I even think about putting a rub on it. There is a science behind brining meat but to sum it up it does 3 things. 1) Adds moisture to the meat so it stays "juicier" while cooking. 2) Dissolves protein fibers which in turn makes the meat more tender and 3) Proteins denature. If you ever look at a piece of brined meat you will tell that the muscle fibers are kinda split apart vs when you started off. This allows the brine solution to get in between all of the muscle fibers which in turn flavors the meat, adds moisture, and makes it more tender adding to step 1 and 2. After brining, I then place a rub on it and wrap it in saran wrap so its nice and tight and completely air tight.  You lose a little of the moisture but the rub also gets sucked into the meat far better this way than just a rub without brine. The saran wrap also keeps the outside of the brisket soft so it does not end getting rock hard when smoking.

So, long story short - Follow what Fishnmachine said with temps and technique. Same thing I do plus the brine. ( a bay leaf or 2 and some peppercorns added to the brine for brisket takes it to another level )

Enjoy ! This is part of the fun of smoking.
Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #717 on: Jul 23, 2018, 10:35 AM »
Oh,

And if you never tried smoked mac and cheese you do not know what you are missing out on!  8)
Wicked Wec

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #718 on: Jul 23, 2018, 04:55 PM »
Oh,

And if you never tried smoked mac and cheese you do not know what you are missing out on!  8)
Boy, do you have that right!   ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #719 on: Jul 23, 2018, 05:33 PM »
Well, the smoker has a new stand.

It'll sit off the end of the Weber and serve as a working table when I'm not smoking stuff.

Kind of mission style.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.