FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Anyone ever  (Read 2126 times)

JDK

Anyone ever
« on: Aug 08, 2018, 09:58 AM »
troll at night for togue and salmon?  If so how'd you do?  Any general tips?

Thinking with this warm weather it would be much more pleasant to sit in a boat after dark than to bake in tin can during the day.
# SAND

Tunker

Re: Anyone ever
« Reply #1 on: Aug 08, 2018, 10:53 AM »
I was thinking along the same lines especially with the meteor shower coming up.  I am not built for this heat.

Personally I find the bite for those two shuts off in the dark but I've had mild luck with big moons.  I've never really pushed it well into the night though.  It's really kind of odd as I mark a ton of fish once the sun goes down.  Brown trout on the other hand really come alive when the suns down. 

troll at night for togue and salmon?  If so how'd you do?  Any general tips?

Thinking with this warm weather it would be much more pleasant to sit in a boat after dark than to bake in tin can during the day.

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Aug 08, 2018, 11:23 AM »
I would use the spoons you can charge with a light that glow if I was to do that. They are effective on pacific salmon out here in the Great Lakes.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

stguy

« Reply #3 on: Aug 08, 2018, 11:48 AM »
Done it a bunch this year,  2 piece flourecant rappalas, and things that rattle have been working for us.

Haven't any luck at all with bait, dead or alive.

Turnbuckle

« Reply #4 on: Aug 08, 2018, 12:47 PM »
For a couple years ever Thursday after work a friend and I would fish until 10pm. Never caught a lake trout after the sun went down, but caught salmon though with not much regularity. 3 colors, hardware, about 2.8 even in the warm temps.
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

zwiggles

« Reply #5 on: Aug 08, 2018, 01:08 PM »
We have done it a few times trolling for salmon, and lake trout. generally after looking at the fish finder light up with bait after sunset, and then trolling through them for an hour or so without luck we went home.

I have caught a few lake trout jigging for cusk at night, and have also seen plenty of ice fishing videos with people targeting trout at night with success. Maybe try to jig them if trolling isn’t working?

fishlessman

« Reply #6 on: Aug 08, 2018, 01:15 PM »
wonder if it would be better a couple hours before first light than after sunset,  action can be fast as the sun sets but it seems to just stop for me with those two species right after sunset. 

MarkNFish

« Reply #7 on: Aug 09, 2018, 05:58 AM »
Interesting.  My experience has been about the same.  As soon as the sun dips below the horizon, things seem to shut off.  I've always wondered if it was simply a function of changing tactics or not. 

stguy

« Reply #8 on: Aug 09, 2018, 06:04 AM »
Interesting.  My experience has been about the same.  As soon as the sun dips below the horizon, things seem to shut off.  I've always wondered if it was simply a function of changing tactics or not.

Yep, have to piss them off.

We've had a few nights that where more productive than the day, but for the most part daytime is better.

It's just alot more peacefull at night

thedirtydirtyfisherman

« Reply #9 on: Aug 09, 2018, 07:03 AM »
definitely would need something that glows, although salmon can be attracted in with noise, they are a visual predator so if they cant really see the bait then they don't hit.

fishlessman

« Reply #10 on: Aug 09, 2018, 10:45 AM »
1 other thing, make sure you have a loud airhorn on board, a whistle might not cut it.  not sure what happens or why but people get fixated looking at the light and drive right into it. 

MarkNFish

« Reply #11 on: Aug 09, 2018, 10:52 AM »
Yep, have to piss them off.

We've had a few nights that where more productive than the day, but for the most part daytime is better.

It's just alot more peacefull at night
That makes sense!

lowaccord66

« Reply #12 on: Aug 09, 2018, 01:10 PM »
Browns and rainbows are easier targets at night.

stguy

« Reply #13 on: Aug 09, 2018, 01:20 PM »
Another good reason to fish at night...the peaceful, romantic, sunsets with Annette....she makes a great fishing partner when mother stays home.

GasBlaster

• Welcomes green fish !!
« Reply #14 on: Aug 09, 2018, 01:39 PM »
You would think glow lures ?  Bass fisherman have good luck  night fishing with black and other dark colored lures

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.