FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Foul hooked or not?  (Read 5304 times)

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Re: Foul hooked or not?
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2019, 02:42 PM »
I do a lot of vertical jigging for fluke and seabass and I have also hooked a bunch on the body. If a fluke is chasing a drifted jig and you sweep down and then up fast at the same time it strikes, it will be hooked just about anywhere with a sharp hook.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2019, 09:35 PM »
Ya the sink jig Fred...haha!

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2019, 10:56 AM »
You fish with a lure with 2 or 3 treble hooks.

Fish grabs the lure and is hooked in the mouth by the tail hook, fish thrashes about as fish are known to do, and fish imbeds the 2nd and/or 3rd hook somewhere else on it's body....Isn't that what multiple treble hooks are supposed to do????

A foul hooked fish is a fish that is hooked anywhere else but it's mouth!

If there is any rule to the contrary, then it probably means that treble (and multiple treble) hooks are not acceptable for that state or derby.

Personally, I remove most of my trebles because they tend to do so much more damage to fish than a single hook.
I'm not advocating that trebles be banned, as that would be idiotic. I'm saying that I choose not to use them.

SO...logically if a lure has 2 or more trebles, and one is hooked in the mouth, then regardless of where the others end up that fish is NOT foul hooked.
(You can say it is, but that's a personal decision.)
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

lowaccord66

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2019, 05:49 AM »
Fly fishing surprisingly you deal with this a lot fishing droppers.  Hook a fish on the tag fly.  The point fly snags the fish somewhere near the tail during the fight...tag fly pops out and you have a snagged fish...

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2019, 08:03 AM »
Fly fishing surprisingly you deal with this a lot fishing droppers.  Hook a fish on the tag fly.  The point fly snags the fish somewhere near the tail during the fight...tag fly pops out and you have a snagged fish...

Also another great example!
Wicked Wec

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2019, 08:51 AM »
Happens with single hooks also.
Down through a nostril.

lowaccord66

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2019, 10:05 AM »
Also another great example!

For me if I am harvesting trout...I follow the law and release foul hooked fish.

seamonkey84

« Reply #37 on: Jun 06, 2019, 03:24 PM »
I’ve had that happen several times. I now always try to have more space between the two flies whenever possible, more than the length of the average fish for that area.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #38 on: Jun 07, 2019, 09:10 AM »
I’ve had that happen several times. I now always try to have more space between the two flies whenever possible, more than the length of the average fish for that area.

I see what you did here. Its like using a bigger lure to target larger fish except you are now targeting larger fish for snagging.

Haha! Just kidding!
Wicked Wec

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.