FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Dish-soap trick for geting worms and crawlers  (Read 36730 times)

Colorado_Ice

• Mmm, Mmm, Good!
Re: Dish-soap trick for geting worms and crawlers
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2006, 01:35 PM »
This was all I could find (so far) on Natural Chemicals Inc. of Naples Florida.

Composition and method for gathering earthworms

Document: United States Patent 5524375

Abstract:  A method for gathering worms, and particularly earthworms, includes the step of applying to the surface of soil containing the earthworms a composition containing a terpene. The terpene is preferably limonene, and most preferably d-limonene. The composition is preferably diluted in water. The earthworms come substantially to the surface of the soil within a few minutes, and can then be gathered by hand or another suitable technique. A composition for gathering worms is also disclosed.

What is d-Limonene? http://www.floridachemical.com/whatisd-limonene.htm

Wee Man

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2006, 08:06 PM »
thats kool im gonna try that
The beauty of this trick is it works in daylight and in no time at all, just a few minutes time and you're done. These days, we use Ajax dish liquid. Warning: Not all brands of dish soap will work! First, fill a five-gallon pail with cool, clean water (don't put soap in first). Then add several good squirts (about 1/4 cup or so) of dish soap into the water and stir slowly to mix, but not so much as to form suds. Pour the entire mixture out in about a three foot diameter circle on the lawn, where you know there to be crawlers. Have a coffee can or other small pail handy with clean "rinse water" to heave the crawlers into as they emerge. Within a couple minutes, all the crawlers and worms in that area will surface rapidly. Pluck them and heave them into the clean water immediately. Just do one small section at a time. Out of direct sunlight works best or preferably, early AM or after the sun sets. Best is right after a spring rain. Once you have the worms all picked and in the rinse water, pour out on a clean section of lawn, pick up and place into your soil, leaf mulch or worm bedding. Check the next day for any dead ones. Try to remember which spots on the lawn you have already treated and do no treat that spot again for a few weeks. Will not harm the lawn or grass, by the way.
 -Jim

bwalleye

• OK, just follow my nose
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2006, 12:41 AM »
This was all I could find (so far) on Natural Chemicals Inc. of Naples Florida.

Composition and method for gathering earthworms

Document: United States Patent 5524375

Abstract:  A method for gathering worms, and particularly earthworms, includes the step of applying to the surface of soil containing the earthworms a composition containing a terpene. The terpene is preferably limonene, and most preferably d-limonene. The composition is preferably diluted in water. The earthworms come substantially to the surface of the soil within a few minutes, and can then be gathered by hand or another suitable technique. A composition for gathering worms is also disclosed.

What is d-Limonene? http://www.floridachemical.com/whatisd-limonene.htm

I'm drawing a blank here,  "another suitable technique".  Anyone have an idea what that would be?  I'm thinking a shop-vac?

bwalleye

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2006, 10:42 PM »
Tried the Ajax dish soap tonight  :o

The worms about launched themselves out of the ground.  Time will tell if they will last.
I'm not so good walking stooped over as I used to be and working 7p-7a leaves little time for the right conditions to go pick worms.

Thanks for the tip

Still, I have to ask what does "another suitable technique" mean  ???

1tigger

• Nothing like a Jitterbug in the dark !!
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2006, 06:07 PM »
Tried the Ajax dish soap tonight  :o

The worms about launched themselves out of the ground.  Time will tell if they will last.
I'm not so good walking stooped over as I used to be and working 7p-7a leaves little time for the right conditions to go pick worms.

Thanks for the tip

Still, I have to ask what does "another suitable technique" mean  ???

Only thing I can think of is the neighbors kid and a cold  root beer for him .

bwalleye

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2006, 11:48 PM »
If you use a shop vac for it, better make it one of the bagless ones 'cause I hate bagworms  ;D

JimP

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2006, 09:27 AM »
My guess is, if you tried it in a Miracle-Gro dispenser, you'd get a LOT of suds coming out! Plus it seems to require a good amount for the stuff to get down to where the worms and crawlers are. My wife and I got about 150 big crawlers using just two buckets of the mix one afternoon (after a rain) last week. The important part is to be sure to drop each crawler into a can of clean water, right as you pick them to get that soap mix off ASAP. Also, be sure not to treat the same spot again for a good while.  How much does the "Crawler Caller" cost? Just curious. Ajax dish soap is relatively inexpensive, compared to buying crawlers, which are over $2.00 per dozen here this year. -Jim

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.