FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 512964 times)

Perch-Pirate

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #4200 on: May 06, 2021, 05:55 AM »
Raq,
Do you guys carry lemongrass? Edible preferred, but either is fine.
Thanks!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4201 on: May 09, 2021, 12:16 PM »
Raq,
Do you guys carry lemongrass? Edible preferred, but either is fine.
Thanks!

No we don’t.. :(
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4202 on: May 09, 2021, 12:17 PM »

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #4203 on: May 09, 2021, 06:28 PM »
Thanks Raq,
Having a tough time finding it this year, but I think I have a lead on it.

cnypanfisher

« Reply #4204 on: May 11, 2021, 03:13 PM »
Garlic is coming along pretty good

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4205 on: May 13, 2021, 12:53 PM »
Yeah...mine too.
Taters are poking through

Garlic is crazy.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4206 on: May 17, 2021, 02:59 PM »
No rain in the forecast (except for some minor possibilities) and I’m already watering the gardens. The potatoes are taking off and need a good bit. Garlic is growing like crazy. Just planted some vining plants on my trellises and marigold seed in a few places. Everything was very dry.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

taxid

« Reply #4207 on: May 24, 2021, 04:53 PM »
I'm tired of hand weeding between the rows so considering getting a cultivator.

1. Anyone use one?

2. If a cultivator turns soil a diameter of 8 inches what should the safe width between the plants be so I don't get into their roots? Or does it depend on the particular plant root sizes?

If it helps I'm sticking with sweet corn, peppers, wax pole beans, and tomatoes this year along with my second year strawberries. Using a cultivator on the strawberries is probably not advisable the way I planted them in patches.

I've considered just mulching with straw instead to keep the moisture in the soil, but it seems there is quite a disparity on opinion with that. Seems to be pros and cons.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

fish/hunt4ever

« Reply #4208 on: May 25, 2021, 08:48 AM »
Bought my wife a little cultivator/rotor tiller and she loves being able to go down the rows are around the plants with it and dig the weeds this way instead of by hand. then she just has to go and get the pesky ones that are too close to the plant to till.  Takes her about 20 minutes instead of a few hours this way, just have to plant the rows wide enough for the tiller to make it down.  Do not have a picture but will try and remember to grab one when I am home.  The wife was supposed to be planting the garden this week while I am out so will see if that is done and grab a picture of that as well.

tomturkey

« Reply #4209 on: May 25, 2021, 09:10 AM »
I took the outside blades off of my regular tiller. I put them back on so they were on the inside. I planted my garden row so they were far enough apart to not get hit by the tiller.

I also did all of my watering with hoses that only water the plants, can not remember what they are actually called. No need to waste water where there is nothing planted encouraging weeds to grow.

fishinator

« Reply #4210 on: May 25, 2021, 11:50 AM »
I never till. Tilling brings more weed seeds to the surface as well as provides a place for new ones to grow. I use a thick layer of wood chips over landscape fabric.  I have pieces of 8" tile around the plants to keep chips back. I also only water inside the rings. For things like beans that you couldn't put individual rings around, I just use bagged soil and keep it hand weeded.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4211 on: May 25, 2021, 12:03 PM »
I have one of these.

When I was working at Lowe’s they had it outside with a tag that said “dead” and a $15 price tag on it. I bought it (less my 10% discount) . Took it home, put some WD-40 on the throttle cable and I’ve been using it ever since. I usually turn the raised beds over in the spring and fall then let them set a few weeks before I plant.

I use a good layer of leaf mulch to keep the weeds down. Works well. What weeds do show up are easy to get rid of.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4212 on: May 28, 2021, 02:19 PM »
Nice all day rain coming down today.  Gardens will love it.

Rg

taxid

« Reply #4213 on: May 28, 2021, 05:41 PM »
I've decided to compost with some old straw I have laying around to keep weed growth down. I did that in my strawberry bed and it's been very effective. I will get a tiller in the fall to turn everything over after harvesting.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4214 on: May 29, 2021, 02:38 PM »
I mulched my potato and garlic beds today with leaf mulch from last fall.

The clematis I thought were dead weren’t. Cardinal climbers are coming along.

Mamas garden is doing great.

Took the winter cover off the trough planter and put the summer cover on.

Radishes are coming up and the cuke and basil starts are coming along. I’m going to plant some more spinach tomorrow. We love our spinach.

Good gardening day!

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.