FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD...  (Read 1475831 times)

oneida1

Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD...
« Reply #8340 on: May 19, 2021, 08:52 AM »
For the years ive spent on this like never trolled or plain drifted much 90% anchor on or just off a hump cast the old worm and jig,  but after last year watching guys out fish me im going to try the trolling, 1st issue is only can get my boat down to 2.2 mph 4 stroke 150 on 22 tri toon so just ordered a 42in drift sock .... main question is what speed am looking for on the troll...

reeleyz

« Reply #8341 on: May 19, 2021, 09:54 AM »
Nicely done little man!!🎣 keep those nasty walleye away from the perch!!😁

We're working on it.

Thanks guys!

reeleyz

« Reply #8342 on: May 19, 2021, 10:01 AM »
For the years ive spent on this like never trolled or plain drifted much 90% anchor on or just off a hump cast the old worm and jig,  but after last year watching guys out fish me im going to try the trolling, 1st issue is only can get my boat down to 2.2 mph 4 stroke 150 on 22 tri toon so just ordered a 42in drift sock .... main question is what speed am looking for on the troll...

I am not a trolling pro but I like to run around 2 MPH. Normally 1.8 - 2.2. Though I have done okay as high as 2.5. That is with sticks, cranks, and spoons. When I would run worm harnesses I would go slower but there are too many bait robbers in the lake for me to mess with them anymore.

I run 2 smaller drift socks, 1 on each side. I think they might be around 30".

Trolling is my last resort but I am seeing some suspended targets on the screen lately...

oneida1

« Reply #8343 on: May 19, 2021, 10:14 AM »
thanks yeah would be my last resort, but just something to try, drift sock will help with slowing drift too the walls of tri toon really act like sails and speed the drift up

gotagetm

« Reply #8344 on: May 19, 2021, 01:15 PM »
I like 1.5-2 troll plate on motor you can get down my buddy has one on his and can go really slow if needed

filetandrelease

« Reply #8345 on: May 19, 2021, 03:31 PM »

Speed depends on what I’m running and the time of year , 1.2-2.5 , i to haven’t ran a spinner worm rig in years , far as jigging I spot lock and drift and jig

cnypanfisher

« Reply #8346 on: May 25, 2021, 08:10 AM »
Went and tried to troll Saturday and the lake was full of something slimy, monkeyed everything up. I dont know if it was algae or pollen from the trees, lake went from 50 to 70 in like 2 weeks.

Oneida1 do you have a trolling motor? Lots of people use the new ones you can set speed and direction, it's an investment but it pays off. Trolling motor and 3 big batteries to charge. Stealth mode you know, sneak up on them and hit them in the head with something.

😉

zaphod4

« Reply #8347 on: May 25, 2021, 09:16 AM »
I upgraded my Minn Kota power drive trolling motor to the GPS w/remote head this season.
Cost me a little over $400.Install was about 15 minutes.Been on the water once this year.Was welllllllll worth it.
I was worried about battery usage with GPS and tracking.I have it hooked up to 2 AGM (75AH each).
Trolled around 7hrs around 1mph.Didn't even put a dent in the batteries.When finished I still had 3 of 4 lights on the battery indicator.

reeleyz

« Reply #8348 on: May 25, 2021, 06:17 PM »
Went and tried to troll Saturday and the lake was full of something slimy, monkeyed everything up. I dont know if it was algae or pollen from the trees, lake went from 50 to 70 in like 2 weeks.

Oneida1 do you have a trolling motor? Lots of people use the new ones you can set speed and direction, it's an investment but it pays off. Trolling motor and 3 big batteries to charge. Stealth mode you know, sneak up on them and hit them in the head with something.

😉

I don’t know what the heck that stuff is. It looked like there was a lot of it near shore tonight.

Spiny water flea is in the lake now but that’s white. Unless the algae is turning it green?

Flukeman

« Reply #8349 on: May 26, 2021, 05:58 AM »
That sounds like the tree pollen that has been so bad this year. The lake I live on has been loaded with it this year, and it seems to stay suspended near the surface much longer than usual.

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #8350 on: May 26, 2021, 06:00 AM »
The pine pollen has been about as bad as I have ever seen it. We need a good rain....h2l

filetandrelease

« Reply #8351 on: May 26, 2021, 06:07 AM »

Pollen is bad for sure , things are pretty dry , we could use some rain

xc600

• ADK
« Reply #8352 on: May 26, 2021, 07:06 AM »
That slime is all over the gravel right now I think the wave action loosens it then it floats to the surface. Saw a long nosed gar and a bowfin cruising the shallows last night, kinda cool looking creatures.

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #8353 on: May 26, 2021, 08:02 AM »
The wife and I were out last Thursday and battled with the slime. Sure hope it's not Filamentous algae, looks very similar to early stage. Anyway she likes to drag worm harnesses creeping along with the Terrova. We tried shallow first with no luck, eventually moving out to 35-38' and finally started to assemble a decent box of fish. Usually move at 1-1.2 mph but noticed we were getting hits on the inside corner, so we slowed down to .8 and our bite picked up. Never expected the fish to be that deep this time of year. Hope this helps someone out. Probably won't be back up until next week as we finally get to have our kids over for the holiday, COVID be damned! 

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #8354 on: May 26, 2021, 08:10 AM »
Also saw a monster Sturgeon launch completely out of the water right behind the boat! I looked at my wife and told her to check her drag lol!  :w00t:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.