FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle
This board sponsored by
Please visit our sponsor Fish307.com

Author Topic: Invasive species  (Read 1726 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Invasive species
« Reply #30 on: Apr 04, 2021, 05:48 PM »
That’s a fact Jack!

Rg
“You can observe a lot by watching.“

Yogi

taxid

Re: Invasive species
« Reply #31 on: Apr 06, 2021, 07:10 AM »
Can’t stop Mother Nature.

Rg

A little personal anecdote to show you how pervasive mother nature can be:

I used to have only female yellow perch in a pond as the females grow the fastest, get the largest, and when full of eggs can be quite impressive as we all know. This is part of my niche market where I grow trophy size fish of various species for the taxidermy market. Anyway, I needed a place to put the males that I used for breeding in a separate pond, which I put in a floating pen, in the same pond attached to a pier, with the bottom of the pen about 8 feet off the bottom.  The pens were put together with plastic zip ties, and the extra material from one zip tie was sticking out on one bottom corner. One day I walked out on the pier and noticed a massive yellow perch egg strand precariously hanging off the piece of zip tie! I ran back to the house to get a long handled net to scoop up the egg strain as I suspected the males in the pen probably sprayed the egg strand through the mesh. When I got back the egg strand had fallen off. I was too late. Sure enough I had yellow perch reproduction the year! Nature had found a way.

I've also had bluegill and yellow perch swim upstream under ground about 300 feet through strong flow in a 6 inch drainage pipe the comes out of my trout from my warm water pond.

In our are we are seeing the blacknose crappie variant show up in public waters that are only planted in private ponds.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.