FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Down-East Rod Holders Have Arrived! Can’t Wait To set Them Up!  (Read 5109 times)

Scalloper

• 73 lbs Atlantic Hal june 2009
Re: Down-East Rod Holders
« Reply #30 on: Apr 17, 2021, 04:54 AM »
They're made right in Lewiston by Down East Sportcraft, one of the longest running family businesses in the state.

Smear a little Chapstick on the mating surfaces once a year and they will work smoother and last forever
I have two on my boat. I like them but one is very difficult to open
Its a lazy man that can't find his wife a second job

CF

Re: Down-East Rod Holders
« Reply #31 on: Apr 17, 2021, 05:23 AM »
I have two on my boat. I like them but one is very difficult to open

Mine Arrived! I think I am going to try using lanolin on the moving parts including the clamp. The stuff is nearly impossible to remove w/o HOT water. Comes from washing sheeps wool, sticky lubricant and sheds water as well as a duck!

Formerly CLAMFARMER

joefishmore

Yesterday picked up 2 at a garage sale for $10.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
I have a bunch of these, I use them on my smaller tin boat. Prefer the "Salty" version even when using them freshwater with trolling rods.

taxid

I have a couple of vinyl versions of that made by Scotty where the mounts are permanently mounted on the boat but the rod holders come off. Just lift the rod and the rod hold pivots to pull it right out. They also make them where the mount slides down into oar locks. Mine are white.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Steve H.

Prefer the "Salty" version even when using them freshwater with trolling rods.

Agreed.  I have the Salty (two clamp) version for trolling leadcore out of my small Lund.  Bulletproof.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

fishlessman

Agreed.  I have the Salty (two clamp) version for trolling leadcore out of my small Lund.  Bulletproof.

thats all i have are the salty version now, some of my rod handles are too big for the other styles and i believe the looseness helps with the rod release

Jethro

thats all i have are the salty version now, some of my rod handles are too big for the other styles and i believe the looseness helps with the rod release

Yeah, that's what made me switch to the Saltys. When you've got a fish on and you have to almost pull the rod holder off the gunwale to get it out of the holder it's not a good thing.

Steve H.

Good video on maintaining your Down-Easter rod holders:

It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

gamefisher

For anyone that owns both, is the two clamp on the Salty (s-10) the same size as he single clamp on th d - 10? 

fishlessman

never noticed a size difference between the two clamp size. my only real complaint with the single clamp design is the clamp thread seizing with salt water use. i used to only take the holders off end of season and broke a few clamps. most of my saltys are permanent mounted now, no clamps. have two for use on other boats where i kept the clamps on. my transom is 1.75 thick and both style clamps fit

Jethro

For anyone that owns both, is the two clamp on the Salty (s-10) the same size as he single clamp on th d - 10?

I own both, the clamps are the same size.

And if anyone is interested, I fish the salt a lot, my boat lives outside... for maintaining these things look up Ballistol. Stuff is amazing.

gamefisher

Thanks guys.  My d-10's are permanently mounted as well and unfortunately the. New starfire rods with plastic handles no longer fit them like the old foam versions did, looking to upgrade to the Salty's, 1 3/8" vs 1 1/8"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.