FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Crickets vs. grasshoppers  (Read 3729 times)

TroutFishingBear

Crickets vs. grasshoppers
« on: Mar 24, 2004, 10:01 PM »
I've always noticed that crickets badly outproduce grasshoppers for trout of any kind.
I almost always get a brook trout every cast on a cricket, whereas, a grasshopper, I don't.

Anyone else besides me think crickets are better????

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
Re: Crickets vs. grasshoppers
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2004, 11:39 PM »
I have never done a side by side comparison, but would think Crickets would be the better bait. May not stay on the hook as well. Many years ago as a teenager we were heading off to the Adirondacks for a weeks vacation. I caught a plastic jar full of Crickets to take along with me, the only mid-summer bait I could find. I did very well fishing with them. I hooked them under the colar and drifted them without any weight if I recall correctly.

Do you use "wild caught" or baitshop domesticated Cricks? Has anyone ever compared the two?

How about using Crickets for Trout and Panfish early in the year, before they are common place in the countryside?

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2004, 05:39 PM »
I've used only wild caught ones.

I fished with crickets for brookies before they were there in a high mountain lake. Did pretty well. But it may be just because it's stupid prolific easy-to-catch brookies.

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2004, 11:22 PM »
Anyone use the store bought crickets from the pet shop or bait store? What has your experience been with using them?

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.