FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gonna bite the bullet and get a fishing kayak  (Read 6201 times)

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Re: Gonna bite the bullet and get a fishing kayak
« Reply #15 on: Apr 02, 2018, 07:07 AM »
Brooklyn Kayak Co? Seems strange. Like the salsa commercial. What does New Yawk City know about kayaks? But yes, the price looks good.

Spider1

« Reply #16 on: Apr 02, 2018, 07:17 AM »
Brooklyn Kayak Co? Seems strange. Like the salsa commercial. What does New Yawk City know about kayaks? But yes, the price looks good.

you do know that Manhattan and Staten Island are like.... islands, right? And come to think of it, so is Long Island.... ::)

I haven't seen and BKC kayaks but they have some decent reviews. Worth checking out? Probably.

Piltzviller

« Reply #17 on: Apr 02, 2018, 11:58 AM »
I have a jackson coosa HD, it's great. Sturdy and comfortable, with all the bells and whistles. The only down size is that it can be a bit heavy.
They are worth checking out.

Jethro

« Reply #18 on: Apr 02, 2018, 12:15 PM »
you do know that Manhattan and Staten Island are like.... islands, right? And come to think of it, so is Long Island.... ::)

I haven't seen and BKC kayaks but they have some decent reviews. Worth checking out? Probably.

Boy I have to say, this is a nice looking kayak for a very nice price:https://brooklynkayakcompany.com/collections/kayaks/products/uh-ra220

taxid

« Reply #19 on: Apr 02, 2018, 06:22 PM »

Maybe an import company that specializes in importing from China?   :rotflol:
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

NYSportxman

« Reply #20 on: Apr 03, 2018, 10:18 AM »
It looks like a native propel 13 knock-off.  The pedal drive is similar.  One important thing is the warranty.  Hopefully one never has to use it, but a strong warranty and good customer service to back it up is key for an expensive kayak.  Personally, I'd stick to the named brands if possible, specifically for that reason.

I don't know about all manufacturers, but another important thing about the warranty is that it only applies to the original owner.  So keep that in mind if you purchase used kayaks.  Just look it over with a fine toothed comb for repairs and cracks.

taxid

« Reply #21 on: Apr 04, 2018, 12:01 PM »
I noticed something troubling about the Brooklyn kayaks on Ebay. There are glaring contradictions in the list wording and descriptions regarding weight and lengths.  Sloppy at best and could indicate worse issues. I contacted the seller to ask what the deal is.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Jethro

« Reply #22 on: Apr 04, 2018, 10:01 PM »
I may be a bit of a brand name snob, but I think for an investment like a fishing kayak, I would stick to the biggies like Old Town, Perception, Hobie, etc. But who knows.

taxid

« Reply #23 on: Apr 04, 2018, 10:37 PM »
I may be a bit of a brand name snob, but I think for an investment like a fishing kayak, I would stick to the biggies like Old Town, Perception, Hobie, etc. But who knows.

I agree with you 100 percent. And as a businessman and American it bothers me a little when the Chinese produce knock offs by copying the hard work and ingenuity of American products. I strongly suspect this Brooklyn kayak is just something imported from China.

I'm hoping to swing for a used Hobie pedal model for about $1500.00. Just need to pay off my $2500.00 workshop cost first.

taxid

« Reply #24 on: Apr 04, 2018, 10:39 PM »
It looks like a native propel 13 knock-off.  The pedal drive is similar.  One important thing is the warranty.  Hopefully one never has to use it, but a strong warranty and good customer service to back it up is key for an expensive kayak.  Personally, I'd stick to the named brands if possible, specifically for that reason.

I don't know about all manufacturers, but another important thing about the warranty is that it only applies to the original owner.  So keep that in mind if you purchase used kayaks.  Just look it over with a fine toothed comb for repairs and cracks.

Excellent points!  :flag:

Jethro

« Reply #25 on: Apr 05, 2018, 08:52 PM »

I'm hoping to swing for a used Hobie pedal model for about $1500.00. Just need to pay off my $2500.00 workshop cost first.

I would buy a Hobie for sure. They are seriously nice yaks.

taxid

« Reply #26 on: Apr 05, 2018, 09:55 PM »
The Brooklyn people aren't answering my questions on Ebay. Not a good sign.

lowaccord66

« Reply #27 on: Apr 11, 2018, 09:08 AM »
I agree with you 100 percent. And as a businessman and American it bothers me a little when the Chinese produce knock offs by copying the hard work and ingenuity of American products. I strongly suspect this Brooklyn kayak is just something imported from China.

Don't be upset.  Our economy would tank faster than a yak with holes in it without China! 

More to the thread.  I'm in the hunt as well.  Sometimes I dont want to drag the big boat out.  Craigslist had a number of suitable options. 

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #28 on: Apr 11, 2018, 09:24 AM »
I can only add that I own a Wilderness system Ride 115 and absolutely love it. I bought it from my buddy who bought a similar Jackson sit on top kayak and now he wishes he didnt. The Ride is far more stable and actually tracks a bit better. I prefer this thing over my sit in FS10 10-1. It is a bit harder to maneuver if faster moving small streams but i do it anyways because you can hop off with ease at any point. It also carries my tent, sleeping bag, extra clothes, food, stove and drinks inside of it without ever getting wet. The only disadvantage of it is that its about 80lbs vs 55 lbs for the FS10. If on a solo mission where i have to carry the kayak a ways I go with the FS10. The only other time i prefer the FS10 is to do some trolling for trout since the ride is easier with the pointed front. I  have seen the Ride 115 on craigslist for 400-500 and that's a steal in my opinion if in good condition.
Wicked Wec

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.