FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Old school Laker fishing  (Read 3969 times)

Mac Attack

Re: Old school Laker fishing
« Reply #15 on: Sep 26, 2023, 10:58 AM »
I have a rod and reel that has 3 colors of lead on it just for this purpose but I don't seem to use it much. I seem to be a one trick pony.

We all get to that point, I think.
I used to send down all MY favorite baits, in MY favorite spread.
Most of the time it turned fish, but, when it didn't, I was stubborn as hell to change things up.
My thought was that you can't catch fish when the baits are in the boat.
So, I was always reluctant to change things up.
My son Jeff was the equalizer then.
He would start pulling rods and changing things.
Young and energetic, instead of old and stubborn (lazy) like me.

Try that 3 color on your riggers sometime Geoff.
It really works!!!

lowaccord66

« Reply #16 on: Sep 26, 2023, 11:28 AM »
2x Geoff!  Also thats a nice 3 color setup for a planner board too.  I miss trolling!

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #17 on: Sep 27, 2023, 01:19 PM »
2x Geoff!  Also thats a nice 3 color setup for a planner board too.  I miss trolling!

The planer is what I really have that rig for, use it quite often. Nice to not have that extra weight on the planer line.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #18 on: Sep 27, 2023, 01:28 PM »
You guys are way off the point. The OP asked about pulling copper, not lead core or other substitutes. I pulled copper with a Victrola for many years on the finger lakes. It’s very effective if used properly.

Many was the day when I fished Keuka and Canandaigua pulling copper.

I say search it and get the right info. Then give it a go.

Old school isn’t dead school.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #19 on: Sep 27, 2023, 01:43 PM »
Not really Bob.
Copper was discussed early to mid thread.  But the thread evolved, much like the early use of copper, to leadcore and riggers.
Copper wire is still used a little today.
However, it’s been replaced by stainless wire and other methods to get your baits deep.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #20 on: Sep 27, 2023, 01:56 PM »
I have an old Pflueger reel spooled with copper in my collection…

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

lowaccord66

« Reply #21 on: Sep 27, 2023, 06:45 PM »
If we stayed on point this forum would be just a memory.....

Psssst Scott Id still make an offer whenever you are ready!

jeffmac85

« Reply #22 on: Sep 27, 2023, 08:43 PM »
Copper is still used quite a bit by salmon guys, and some walleye trollers have begun to use it because you can get as deep as leadcore with I believe 75% as much line out.  However the setup that the OP is talking about is not really like new copper trolling setups.  This is closer to a Seth Green rig or using a Victrola box like Bob mentioned.  Super popular on the finger lakes for Lakers, you hand line out copper with multiple Sutton spoons or other flutter spoons until you bump bottom and bring it up a foot or 2.  Many people hand lined the fish in then but I'm sure that was the reason for the short stout rod, to quickly bring them into the boat and reset the rig.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #23 on: Sep 27, 2023, 09:15 PM »
Yup! It was a step up from the Victrola….sort of!   But not quite as satisfying as nailing a laker hand  lining. The feel was way different. Dragging a jug and kicking back wasn’t fishing to me. Never enjoyed trolling. Seemed a waste to me.  I’d rather actively participate in catching a fish. Probably why  I fly and bobber fish as much as I do.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #24 on: Sep 28, 2023, 07:39 AM »
I have an old Victrola copper setup in the basement. An Old-timer buddy gave it to me after taking him out on Cayuga for what would turn out to be his last fishing trip.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #25 on: Sep 28, 2023, 11:31 AM »
Fitting memorial. Sorry for your loss, happy you keep his memory alive. It’s about all we can ask for in life.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.