FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Big Crappie  (Read 2203 times)

bigr

Big Crappie
« on: Apr 07, 2020, 08:10 AM »
I've seen photos this morning of Three lb crappie. One from up river on the Sally.17 7/8 inch long,3.08lbs, white. One from up Missy river 16 3/4 in black. 3lb plus. I've never caught a 3lber but it's high on my list. They are rare in Indiana.   

FrankenGill

Re: Big Crappie
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2020, 08:22 AM »
Back in the day my parents had a lake house on Big Turkey Lake for Aprox 17years. Neighbor behind us had one mounted @ 3lb that came from Turkey. Never seen one that size since from the local area but I can hope!

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2020, 09:56 AM »
I typically get 2 or 3 in that size range in to mount every year. Most come from one particular Lake Chain in Noble County. Usually natural hybrids.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

FrankenGill

« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 2020, 12:34 PM »
Yes they do fishhogger. I wish I could get back out to the lakes again but recently sold the boat! Nice to hear you see some that size coming in still Taxi. For now I have to settle for an over fished pond!

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Apr 07, 2020, 05:19 PM »
big turkey has some monsters for sure frankengill.

I fish a lot of lakes n reservoirs for crappie. there are several that produce huge crappie. i catch a bunch in the 2-2.5# range every year.  rare to see an actual 3 pounder but they are out there.  biggest crappie I have seen around here was the same size as the rear side window of my extended cab gmc.  it was 20+inches.(I don't recall exact  measurements now for sure.  and it was a private pond fish). I would have had to mount that one, if I caught it  ;D  in the late 80s a friend caught a 21" that came from an angola lake.  most all the ones I catch over 13" just go back in the water.  like huge gills, they are better for the camera than the plate.

as usual, I don't suppose there are any pictures. lol

More fish stories!  :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

bherr24

« Reply #5 on: Apr 07, 2020, 09:51 PM »
Seen the one get caught at sally. Guy was straight across from me when he caught it saturday eve.

RoeBoat

« Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 2020, 09:31 PM »
Here is a 20 that was found dead in MN.

Can't imagine.  I have a buddy who has one mounted out of his pond in Ohio that is a little over 18 and it just doesn't look real it's so big.

charlys1954

« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2020, 10:15 PM »
Here is a 20 that was found dead in MN.

Can't imagine.  I have a buddy who has one mounted out of his pond in Ohio that is a little over 18 and it just doesn't look real it's so big.

Probably died of old age. Reminds me of the 12 3/4" gill I seen floating in the private stone quarry east of Logan about 20 yrs ago. Seen it floating and finally snagged it, biggest gill I have ever seen. It was still in good shape hadn't been dead long so I went ahead and mounted it.
I'm a "Born in Ind" Redneck and proud of it

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Apr 09, 2020, 02:52 AM »
I've posted this before but here is a 21 inch I mounted for a customer that was caught in a private lake in Angola. It weighed only 3.25 pounds.

RoeBoat

« Reply #9 on: Apr 09, 2020, 09:28 PM »
Beauty!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.