FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: CHARCOAL GRILLERS UNITE!!!  (Read 157536 times)

ActiveTrapChecker

Re: CHARCOAL GRILLERS UNITE!!!
« Reply #525 on: May 23, 2018, 07:06 AM »
The vortex thing looks interesting. Only problem I see is you can't add charcoal to the fire. I use the Weber charcoal baskets that sit on the sides of the fire grate and unde the hinged portions of the grill.

Any of you ever look at the Arteflame grill top for Weber Kettles? That looks very interesting to me.

Rg

The Arteflame looks pretty cool. Especially the version that comes with the grate in the middle. for now, I will stick with the baskets. How many baskets do you use RG? I assume it depends on what you're cooking and whether it's direct or indirect

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #526 on: May 23, 2018, 07:40 AM »
I have 2 baskets. For low and slow I fill them both and start each from one end of the basket with several lit coals. They burn on through the remaining basket and provide up to 6 hours of pretty regulated heat around 225-250. For rotisserie, I light them both and position them to either side. Last week I did ribs on the rotisserie cooking them for a full 4 hours only adding a handful of briquettes along the way.

For indirect cooking (most of what I do) I position the baskets to one side  and position the cover with the vent on the opposite side.

The Arteflame grill top with the center grate looks very useable. Put the coals in the center and sear over direct heat while slow grilling your side dishes on the outer rim.

I might be talking myself into something here  :w00t:

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #527 on: May 23, 2018, 07:56 AM »
Thanks RG. I am looking forward to getting the chicken on after a round of golf Saturday. Plan to add some apple wood chunks to add some flavor to the chicken that will be soaking in Chiavetta's sauce for a few days

I will try to add photos using my daughter's tablet. For some reason my older iPhone can't post, even with add image to post.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #528 on: May 23, 2018, 08:18 AM »
I'm doing a batch of wings this afternoon for our neighborhood Wednesday Happy Hour.

Eyre getting happy in the fridge soaking in cider vinegar, olive oil, my rub mix and lemon juice.

I'm getting hungry already.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #529 on: May 23, 2018, 06:23 PM »
Wings on the grill.

Sorry I didn't get a pic of the finish. Folks were getting pretty hungry. There were no leftovers.

Rg

Mac Attack

« Reply #530 on: May 23, 2018, 06:53 PM »
I cannot believe that you left the wingtips on.
You're close enough to here to know better Bob.

However, they do look good.
I love doing wings on the grill.
Wings are bad for you, but on the grill they are bit less bad.

8)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #531 on: May 24, 2018, 03:16 AM »
You westerners just haven't figured out that it's a handle. There used to be a BBQ joint in Henrietta that served plates of deep fried tips. Theyd cook them till you could just crunch the whole thing down like a French fry.

They just opened a BBQ joint across the road from my street where the Burger King used to be. Same folks that had the overpriced burger place in that spot. Now they're advertising that you have to call ahead to reserve a table and meal. I give it 6 months and it'll be gone if they operate the same as they did with the burger joint.

Too bad really, prime location.

Rg

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #532 on: May 24, 2018, 06:09 AM »
I cannot believe that you left the wingtips on.
You're close enough to here to know better Bob.

8)

Probably served them with range dressing too
(Mac, I grew up in Buffalo, I understand where you are coming from)

Mac Attack

« Reply #533 on: May 24, 2018, 06:24 AM »

You westerners just haven't figured out that it's a handle.

Rg

Us westerners must not be as "dainty" as you easterners.

8)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #534 on: May 24, 2018, 05:38 PM »
Dainty schmainty...5 lbs of BBQ' d wings disappeared pretty darned quick. And ....only Marie's Chunky Blue Cheese and celery.

Way back when .......late 70's, I operated a hotel/bar/restaurant in Medina. I used the "original " buffalo wing recipe that everyone expected to get. Butter, Franks and vinegar. Wings were tossed with olive oil, salt and cayenne pepper and deep fried. I used only fresh wings. Frozen wings are not suitable for cat food.. The recipe changed as people tired of the same old.

I've been cooking wings ever since. My recipe has changed a lot and I seldom deep fry wings although I really like them that way and sometimes I cook nostalgic.

The Weber is my choice any more. My sauce??? I could tell you, but........I won't. My Rub??? Same story.

BBQ is an art form.

Rg

Mac Attack

« Reply #535 on: May 24, 2018, 06:15 PM »
cranky old fart

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #536 on: May 24, 2018, 06:50 PM »
Passionate...not cranky. I love my cooking.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #537 on: May 26, 2018, 04:12 PM »
Rock Cornish game hens. Been soaking for a day and a half. Shot them up with butter, Franks and lemon juice.

Doing a slow cook using the snake method.

On the grill and cooking

About 4 Heinekens  ( 2 1/2 hrs) in at about 275*

Just starting to baste with a mix of Franks, butter, lemon juice and apple cider vinegar.

Looking pretty yummy. About an hour to go.

Rg

Mac Attack

« Reply #538 on: May 26, 2018, 05:48 PM »
Not charcoal, but I have a rack of ribs in the smoker now for 5 hrs.
One more hour.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #539 on: May 26, 2018, 07:08 PM »
Mmmmmmm...ribs!

The finish

Served with a heaping helping of asparagus, fresh from my garden.
 I'll skip a pic of the aftermath. It was a caveman-like consumption.
Very tasty.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.