FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: catfish/problem  (Read 3319 times)

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
catfish/problem
« on: May 15, 2006, 03:07 PM »
I have a lake I fish alot, and ive run into a porblem. I would like to catch some catfish because I know we have some good ones in there. The problem is whenever i leave bait out for catfish all I catch are bullheads, tons of them. Is there anyway i can avoid the bullheads and get catfish or do I have to wait em out? I have hooked a few catfish on large minnows only in the fall. Seems like anythign else the bullheads get there first. any help?

Fishing is life

MIRC!

grumpymoe

Re: catfish/problem
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 06:23 PM »
its not a unique problem....fishing lazy days on the Red River can get pretty annoying keeping the bullheads off as well....suggest going to much bigger bait....if you can get them, try prawns with heads on....large strips of suckermeat...and FROGS.....Grump

Derek Welch

« Reply #2 on: Jul 25, 2006, 12:57 PM »
 Use the smaller bullheads for bait.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #3 on: Jul 25, 2006, 01:53 PM »
Used to have the same problems out here.  Switched from liver and small chunk bait to large portions of dead fish as bait, and the bullheads leave us alone.  Plus we catch bigger fish.  Sometimes though, some spots are just over-run with bullheads, they will hit even whole suckers.

grumpymoe

« Reply #4 on: Jul 25, 2006, 02:07 PM »
there's one more thing you can do that helps somewhat....instead of rigging your bait on the bottom, try a tri-swivel and bring it up at least a foot off bottom....bullheads (usually) stick tight to bottom....Grump

Borion2

« Reply #5 on: Jul 26, 2006, 06:38 PM »
Some of the guys who fish the same area I do use small bluegills with the tail trimmed to catch bigger cats.  I haven't tried this because I can catch 22"+ fish on crawlers. ;D

Brian

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.