FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Flathead rigging??  (Read 6468 times)

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
Flathead rigging??
« on: Sep 12, 2006, 01:03 PM »
Last year, around this time, a friend and I watched a guy haul in an enormous flathead while walleye fishing near the Mississippi.  It took him almost an hour and I was very impressed.  We are going to be back in the same place this coming weekend fishing for gills, which can also be very good at this time of year.  We got to thinking that we should try for those flatheads if we get our fill of the gills.  We've seen fish come out of here that bottomed out a 50# scale, so I'm very excited at the prospect of a big fish.  I've been fishing for channels for a few years, but I've never targeted flatheads, so I've got some questions...

We'll be in a boat, anchored near a dam in 45-60 FOW.

I'll be using a 7ft heavy action musky rod paired with an Abu 6500 C3 and 80# Dacron Tuff-line.  Any thoughts or objections?  Too much?  Not enough ( I hope not, it's as big as I have)?

Do I need to use backing on the reel with Dacron?  If so, which knot would you choose to attach backing to main line... albright, uni-uni, nail, surgeon's etc?

We think we should use lively gills (legal here) on circle hooks.  Other suggestions?  What knots would you use on the terminal end?

I was thinking of either a 3-way rig or just a slip sinker similar to channel cat fishing.  Any other rigging options that I should consider?

Thanks for any help in advance.  If I'm lucky enough to get one of these pigs in the boat, you'll get partial credit (translated as: first round is on me) when we meet.
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement

Lindz

• "Jo Jo Running"
Re: Flathead rigging??
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2006, 02:02 PM »
Lucas - your line should hold up fine.  ;D

I run Abu 6600AB's spooled with 50# Spider on 7' med-heavy Ugly Sticks and these systems have held up to the fish I've caught so far.  :tipup:

When deploying these rod's I fish a 30# fluoro leader using a snap swivel between the Spider and Fluoro.  Depending on current I use 3- 6oz barrel weight which slides on the Spiderwire w/ a bead at the top of the swivel so the knot doesn't get beat up by the weight.

So the weight stops at the swivel w/ 5-7feet fluoro leader and at the end of the leader I use Gammi 8/0 hooks, sometimes with a bead there as well.  This works if you want the fish to take line or if you stay drag tight - either way don't set the hook, let the fish tighten down - fish on. 

Note that it's tough for Lindz to distinguish the bite usually because the weight weighs more than the fish I catch.  :P

The Three way may be good for Flathead's too - heavy weight straight down with the bait about 2-3' off the bottom.  Wound the bait a little bit, I believe some folks cut most of the tail off too. 

I will be going for Blues & may try for Flathead too next weekend. 

Hope this helps & good luck!  :tipup:

Lindz
   &  Bass

walleyechaser

• Ghetto Fab
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2006, 02:15 PM »
xrhino that set up sounds perfect.  We catch them on just a tightline rig.  I've found that small crappie seem to work a little better than gills.  I think its because the flatheads prefer the soft rayed fish.  Gills are pretty spiny.   We tightline until we get a bite then give the fish a chance to turn and swallow the bait.  Then slam the hook.  They usually don't swallow the hook because we tail hook our small crappie.

be prepared for a battle if you hook a big one.
care for a warm up?

Official authority on the Kraken

The "Habitual Offender" of the MIRC - I need a clear glass plate

Pikeguy

« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2006, 02:25 PM »
Last year, around this time, a friend and I watched a guy haul in an enormous flathead while walleye fishing near the Mississippi.  It took him almost an hour and I was very impressed.  We going to be back in the same place this coming weekend fishing for gills, which can also be very good at this time of year.  We got to thinking that we should try for those flatheads if we get our fill of the gills.  We've seen fish come out of here that bottomed out a 50# scale, so I'm very excited at the prospect of a big fish.  I've been fishing for channels for a few years, but I've never targeted flatheads, so I've got some questions...

We'll be in a boat, anchored near a dam in 45-60 FOW.

I'll be using a 7ft heavy action musky rod paired with an Abu 6500 C3 and 80# Dacron Tuff-line.  Any thoughts or objections?  Too much?  Not enough ( I hope not, it's as big as I have)?

Do I need to use backing on the reel with Dacron?  If so, which knot would you choose to attach backing to main line... albright, uni-uni, nail, surgeon's etc?

We think we should use lively gills (legal here) on circle hooks.  Other suggestions?  What knots would you use on the terminal end?

I was thinking of either a 3-way rig or just a slip sinker similar to channel cat fishing.  Any other rigging options that I should consider?

Thanks for any help in advance.  If I'm lucky enough to get one of these pigs in the boat, you'll get partial credit (translated as: first round is on me) when we meet.

Sounds like a good setup to me Lucas. I forgot this was the weekend you'll be in Onalaska! Man I wish I was more available! You've got my cell #...and I'll be in Wabasha most of the weekend...they sell beer there   ;)

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2006, 04:30 PM »
I'm a rookie at this and a retentive, detail guy.  I need a couple more clarifications.  Bear with me...

Lucas - your line should hold up fine.  ;D

So the weight stops at the swivel w/ 5-7feet fluoro leader and at the end of the leader I use Gammi 8/0 hooks, sometimes with a bead there as well.  This works if you want the fish to take line or if you stay drag tight - either way don't set the hook, let the fish tighten down - fish on. 

Lindz
Why the bead near the hook?  What style of hook do you prefer?  Circle, Siwash, Kahle, Octopus, other?

xrhino that set up sounds perfect.  We catch them on just a tightline rig.  I've found that small crappie seem to work a little better than gills.  I think its because the flatheads prefer the soft rayed fish.  Gills are pretty spiny.   We tightline until we get a bite then give the fish a chance to turn and swallow the bait.  Then slam the hook.  They usually don't swallow the hook because we tail hook our small crappie.

be prepared for a battle if you hook a big one.
What exactly do you mean by "tightline rig"?  It may just be a regional vocab thing, but I'm not sure what you're talking about.  We usually get a few crappies mixed in with the gills.  I'll be sure to set them aside and keep 'em alive.

Sounds like a good setup to me Lucas. I forgot this was the weekend you'll be in Onalaska! Man I wish I was more available! You've got my cell #...and I'll be in Wabasha most of the weekend...they sell beer there   ;)

That's actually OK.  In my inebriated state on Saturday I invited Lisa from the wedding to come along.  If she does we won't have room in the boat for anymore folks.  Also, if she does, you can pretty much count on one of those bar time voicemails.  ;) ;D

Thanks again for the advice guys!
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement

walleyechaser

• Ghetto Fab
« Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2006, 07:09 AM »
A tightline is just that.  Use weight to keep it on the bottom and keep the line tight.  Then when you feel a pickup let the cat have some line to turn around.   Then slam the hook home.   We do this when we fish the Grand River for them.   Well into the night is the best time for them.

Gills will work too but the crappie outfished the gills 3 to 1 on average.
care for a warm up?

Lindz

• "Jo Jo Running"
« Reply #6 on: Sep 13, 2006, 08:17 AM »
Why the bead near the hook?  What style of hook do you prefer?  Circle, Siwash, Kahle, Octopus, other?

Not sure?  A guide I had on Santee Cooper did this, so I started doing it with a red or green bead - I guess as an attractor.  Just a little extra something (small though) that could shimmer/catch light.

8/0 Gammi. Octopus Circle Hooks.

Note again - I never slam the hook home. 

I tightline in a sense, cast out and take slack out of the line (in the river there will still be  some slack), then watch the rod tips with a Stogy in one hand and a cold one in the other. 

Lindz

&  Bass

walleyechaser

• Ghetto Fab
« Reply #7 on: Sep 13, 2006, 08:25 AM »
Lindz.  I've never used the circle hooks but I've heard you don't need to set those.   That would take some getting used to.
care for a warm up?

Lindz

• "Jo Jo Running"
« Reply #8 on: Sep 13, 2006, 12:22 PM »
Lindz.  I've never used the circle hooks but I've heard you don't need to set

WC - you don't set the hook, just let the fish tighten down on it.

That would take some getting used to.

Absolutely.  If you've grow up on the traditional bait hook - waiting for the fish to run a bit and then crossing their eyeballs, it' a different mindset. 

I am glad you tight line - as I know some folks that really let the Cats run with the bait before setting the hook, they get alot (IMO) of gut hookups - and the fish do not get released (I could expand here but.....).

I like the circles, but it is the hook & technique that I started with - fishing for  Cats.

&  Bass

walleyechaser

• Ghetto Fab
« Reply #9 on: Sep 13, 2006, 12:27 PM »
tightlining is the only way to go when targeting cats in a river. 
I never intentionally target them in lakes but I get them a lot trolling crawler harnesses for eyes.

The only time we've ever gotten gut hook ups is when the hook is too small.  (when we first started chasing cats)  We learned quickly to upsize the hook.   Like I said we just let them turn with the bait not run down river with it.  By tail hooking the bait it decreases your chance of them swallowing it because they swallow head first.
care for a warm up?

Lindz

• "Jo Jo Running"
« Reply #10 on: Sep 13, 2006, 12:48 PM »
tightlining is the only way to go when targeting cats in a river. 
The only time we've ever gotten gut hook ups is when the hook is too small.  (when we first started chasing cats)  We learned quickly to upsize the hook. 

I agree. 

This weekend I have a BBQ contest......but the next I am on the James River, hopefully in those two days, we will produce something decent.  :tipup:

I really would like to use the trophy net once anyway!  :tipup:
   &  Bass

pinche

• Amen
« Reply #11 on: Sep 13, 2006, 12:58 PM »

I really would like to use the trophy net once anyway!  :tipup:
:-X  :-X   :-X   :-X
Rockbassin everyone is doing it !!

Proud member of M.I.R.C. since 2006

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor