FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Catfish that think they are Largemouth  (Read 5863 times)

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
Catfish that think they are Largemouth
« on: Apr 29, 2004, 11:51 PM »
This past weekend, 2 buddies and I went largemouth fishing in a tributary of our local tidal river.  We headed out to the middle of a wide creek where the bottom was soft, 5' deep at high tide, and emerging hydrilla grass.  This is prime pre spawn largemouth territory and a barrage of Rat-L-Traps thrown threw the area will normally produce some pretty hefty stringers of largemouth.  However, within a few casts we had a pleasant surprise, a solid strong hit.  This was no bass, and my buddy boated a nice 7 pound channel catfish.  On that drift, we tossed Rat-L-Traps and picked up 6 more fat channel cats between 5 and 10 pounds, very fun.  These cats were acting like largemouth, hitting crankbaits with regularity.  We went off in search of largemouth and had a great day, but part of me thinks that we should have done a few more drifts and target those whiskers.  They were very fun.  Now, on this river, I've caught many a channel cat on bass lures including buzzbaits, spinnerbaits, jig'n'pigs, plastic worms, and deep diving crankbaits.  But, what made this unusual was that they hit with such regularity in one day in such a short time. 

Oh, and guess what?  There were a dozen guys on the bank at the ramp targeting catfish 100 yards away, and they only landed one small cat.  Now that seemed weird, that these cats were so finicky and not finding their bait, but had no qualms about hitting our Rat-L-Traps.

Anyone have a similar experience or have an explanation to offer?

I may go back this weekend and try for them again.

I've got pics to post but have to wait for them to get developed...my digital camera is out for repair.

Jigwiggler

Re: Catfish that think they are Largemouth
« Reply #1 on: Apr 30, 2004, 07:23 AM »
I usually run into them when walleye fishing since Largemouth and cats don't inhabit much of the same water around my home.  Whether jigging or trolling for eyes I usually run into some nice cats.  However, I was fishing a large pond once for bass when I had a large fish that repeatedly would hit my Zara Spook but I could not hook it.  After several cast and strikes I finally hooked up and to my suprise brought in an 8-9lb. channel cat.  I then threw back with my other rod rigged with a spinnerbait and caught 6 more.  :o
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #2 on: Apr 30, 2004, 11:35 AM »
Right, I've caught catfish on red-fins at night on Smith Mtn. Lake up on shallow points, looking for stripers and LMB. Cats will surprise you from time to time. Even caught them on crankbaits, too. I just love big cats. excellent fight.
But pound for pound, SMB wins.
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #3 on: Apr 30, 2004, 03:32 PM »
We have caught catfish fairly regularly fishing for pike in shallow weeds on large spinners. Catfish will grab whatever they can, but generally it's relatively uncommon to catch them on lures because they feed primarly through smell. But they have great eye sight and feel as well. So it's not at all rare to catch them on lures. They actually have the most acute senses of any freshwater fish.

Tyler

camo_fish

« Reply #4 on: Apr 30, 2004, 04:20 PM »
That is why the stinkier the bait, the better chance you have of catching Mr. Wiskers.
Next time try spraying your bait down with WD-40. And yes it works. Old Fisherman Secret.
If your using chicken liver and your bait is still on the hook for another cast, try dipping it back in the juicy tub of livers, before you cast back out, keep it stinky.

suskymusky

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2004, 07:40 AM »
I get Channel cats regularly while casting Rapalas for smallmouth and walleye.I think they key in on baitfish (river shiners, in my case)sometimes, and I even get them during the day when the water warms up.
"IMAGINATION is more important than KNOWLEDGE" Albert Einstein

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 04:25 PM »
Catfish are the most interesting fish in my opinion. They are strong, tough, and cool-looking! There are many different techniques to catch them, although most people stick to bait. You would call me crazy but I guarantee I could go down to my colorado river around fruita in the summer and catch catfish on flies!

Jigwiggler

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 08:19 PM »
You would call me crazy but I guarantee I could go down to my colorado river around fruita in the summer and catch catfish on flies!

Not too crazy.  I've hooked quite a few on dry mayfly imitations and small poppers during a heavy hatch.  Some nights you can't hear anything over the cats and carp slurping those flies off the surface. :o
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

camo_fish

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2004, 11:47 AM »
yea, it is a weird sound, I've hear catfish sucking flies off the top at night up on South Bay. As a kid, my buddy and I would go out at night using light bobbers and crawlers to catch cats. All you hear is  :-*  :-*  :-* out on the water and see rings on top of the water. Crazy stuff.

peple of the perch

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2004, 09:12 PM »

Next time try spraying your bait down with WD-40. And yes it works. Old Fisherman Secret.
               that polluts the water so don use alot or dont use it if u dont ned to actually u prob end up eatting it if u ever keep the fish.

camo_fish

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2004, 10:52 PM »

that polluts the water so don use alot or dont use it if u dont ned to actually u prob end up eatting it if u ever keep the fish.
If I told the world to take off there hat and pee in their shoe, it will allow them to smell and the fish will be attracted to them and later I would have a fry fish and invite my relatives to eats, they would smell like piss.
How about power bait, have you had a side dish of that on your table too.
ROTFLMAO  :-*
And your boat or gas auger doesn't leak into the lake or how about all the PCB's and weed killing chemicals they put into the lakes and rivers a little squirt of WD-40 is going to kill us.
How about a side dish of power bait at the next dinner table.
 ;D Try again peple of the perch, or pirate perch?  >:(

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #11 on: Jun 05, 2004, 12:03 AM »

If I told the world to take off there hat and pee in their shoe, it will allow them to smell and the fish will be attracted to them and later I would have a fry fish and invite my relatives to eats, they would smell like piss.
How about power bait, have you had a side dish of that on your table too.
ROTFLMAO  :-*
And your boat or gas auger doesn't leak into the lake or how about all the PCB's and weed killing chemicals they put into the lakes and rivers a little squirt of WD-40 is going to kill us.
How about a side dish of power bait at the next dinner table.
 ;D Try again peple of the perch, or pirate perch?  >:(

You are correct, camofish. Water is polluted none when any of this is happening because it is not concentrated.

Water is much tougher than you think, and it is treated extremely well here. But what is stupid is that here in city watter supply lakes, they won't let us wade or use bait for fear of contamination ::) ::) ::) lol what idiots :P

DON'T THEY KNOW THE WATER IS TREATED????

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.