FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bluebirds  (Read 15675 times)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Bluebirds
« Reply #75 on: Feb 03, 2021, 04:46 AM »
Either a coppers hawk or a sharp shinned hawk..
 Pretty cool.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #76 on: Feb 03, 2021, 05:18 AM »
 Could be a Broad Winged adult morph.

Pretty cool!

Back when I was driving the bucket truck, I had a juvenile barred owl land on the hood of my truck. It was obviously misplaced and confused. It wouldn’t fly. I ended up putting it in a cardboard box and driving it to a rehab home after calling the DEC to locate someone local. The lady there said it probably just fell out of the nest although I couldn’t locate one nearby. She called me a couple weeks later to say it was successfully released.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #77 on: Feb 03, 2021, 06:40 AM »
Great picture. We have been sitting out back watching the feeders before when there will be a brown streak from the woods and a puff of feathers where a tweety bird was as a Kestrel nailed one for lunch. It happens so quick my wife and I just look at each other saying WOW! Nature is entertaining.

iceman260

« Reply #78 on: Feb 03, 2021, 06:49 AM »
He didn't want to leave his kill,I got within 6ft. Of him he finally flew off with the rabbit, he is a beautiful bird. Nature is both beautiful and cruel.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #79 on: Feb 03, 2021, 06:52 AM »
Probably a hard earned meal for him....or her.

We have a Kestrel and a Coopers  that keep an eye on our feeders too. The Coopers is bold enough to have landed on the feeder pole several times. It’s only 10’ from our kitchen picture window. My Bride loves watching them. Especially since she’s been pretty much confined to home since last March.

It’ll be nice when we can go sit outside in the afternoon and watch the critters.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bartman44

« Reply #80 on: Feb 07, 2021, 11:00 AM »
Still bird watching, it's getting me out of the house. It's getting harder to find new species as I've checked off many of the usual winter birds. Having fun with the camera too.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #81 on: Feb 09, 2021, 05:00 AM »
Very nice Bart. Like the upside down suet feeder. I made a couple a few years ago. It deters the starlings for the most part. They can’t hang on long upside down. The woodpeckers, flicker and nuthatches have no problem with them.

Rg

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #82 on: Feb 09, 2021, 06:01 AM »
Very nice Bart. Like the upside down suet feeder. I made a couple a few years ago. It deters the starlings for the most part. They can’t hang on long upside down. The woodpeckers, flicker and nuthatches have no problem with them.

Rg

Great idea. That is defiantly something I'm going to do. Those starlings mob my suet and will clean out a two pound feeder in a few hours. They were so thick last summer, I actually got 4 with one shot off the top of my big feeder.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #83 on: Feb 09, 2021, 06:52 AM »
Glad I don’t have starlings up here.
 But I might have to buy a new pellet gun and make some squirrel gumbo..    ;D ;D ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #84 on: Feb 09, 2021, 07:06 AM »
Haven’t had any squirrel problems yet this winter. They eat off the ground and don’t seem interested in trying to get on the feeders.

I keep the pellet pistol in my upstairs hobby room. I need to figure out how to skin those starlings for fly tying material.

Rg

zwiggles

« Reply #85 on: Feb 09, 2021, 12:37 PM »
We had a bluebird and a grackle (I think) face off at lunch today. The grackle would chase 5-6 off the box each time until this one blue bird decided he was hungry.

It was a fun back and forth at lunch watching them chase each other.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #86 on: Feb 09, 2021, 03:06 PM »
European starling. Just ordered 3 skins for fly tying.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #87 on: Feb 09, 2021, 04:50 PM »
Z do you have any problems with birds bouncing off the window? 

zwiggles

« Reply #88 on: Feb 09, 2021, 05:24 PM »
Z do you have any problems with birds bouncing off the window?

For whatever reason, no not that much. Only a few of the species seem to go for the mealworms on the window, and the main set of feeders is 15’ from the house.

The bluebird/mealworm feeder is new this year, but the main feeder has been there for 15 years. Maybe they are more used to it? I have seen a few over the years bonk the windows, but only handful. When a predator or blue Jay comes in they all tend to bounce to the forest on the other side of the lawn.

Mac Attack

« Reply #89 on: Feb 09, 2021, 05:52 PM »
What exactly is the obsession with Bluebirds guys?
There is zero meat on them.

8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.