FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What is the capital of the USA?(pg 3. The Job Application)  (Read 10166 times)

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
Re: What is the capital of the USA?
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2006, 11:14 AM »

These guys didn't look quite so promising way back then, but they had faith in themselves.  That little nerdy guy in the lower left especially!

There's no picture, just a red x.

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2006, 05:46 PM »
7th graders? when i was in 5th grade i had to know all 50 states and how to spell them!

Fishing is life

MIRC!

Dr. IceGeek

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2006, 06:07 PM »
7th graders? when i was in 5th grade i had to know all 50 states and how to spell them!

Did ya walk to school uphill both ways?  ;)

Fishingking

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2006, 07:23 PM »
I did lol through 4 feet of snow too :)
Team NY 
Was that nice enough for you?

1tigger

• Nothing like a Jitterbug in the dark !!
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2006, 07:33 PM »
A s chance would have it ... YES  I  DID .  I went to a one room country school until grade 9 then I had to go to town school .
It was 5 miles one way to school half way up and the other half down .
We only walked when we wanted to though .

Country school was the best .

A little bit of info for those of you that are teachers ... I dont know if your district offers a web site for your schools but if not get one going .

The district that I live in has one and each and every teacher can be contacted on it .
There is an e-mail directory on it with each teachers work e-mail address on it and it is available for parent / teacher contact 24 / 7 .
It has made a huge difference in parent / teacher relations and how to handle each students needs be it good or diciplinary  .
It also has all sport and school functions listed with times and dates .

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2006, 07:58 PM »

lol no but they have more expectations in recent times.

Fishing is life

MIRC!

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2006, 06:30 AM »

A little bit of info for those of you that are teachers ... I dont know if your district offers a web site for your schools but if not get one going .

The district that I live in has one and each and every teacher can be contacted on it .
There is an e-mail directory on it with each teachers work e-mail address on it and it is available for parent / teacher contact 24 / 7 .
It has made a huge difference in parent / teacher relations and how to handle each students needs be it good or diciplinary  .
It also has all sport and school functions listed with times and dates .

My school district offers that. You can click on the biographies and find the e-mail links. The problem is we are a poor rural district and over half the families have phones that are "disconnected" but they still have 4-wheelers that I see them zipping around illegally on state land while I'm out hunting.

OTIS

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2006, 07:50 AM »

Maybe later I'll tell ya abut how I had to fend off a bear with my spiral notebook...

I have taken no offence to any comments made here, and I try to defend people who give their time to help out others be they teachers, coaches, scout leaders, etc...  It's a tough job weather you're getting paid to do it or not, and I comment those that are doing it for reasons other than collecting a paycheck.

Well we had our teachers conference and eventhough my son has shown improvement throughout the year ans was given straight B's not four weeks ago, the teacher thinks we should hold him back.  I was tough, but not mean.  I questioned her about the above mentioned facts and she said that "He really didn't earn B's", I just about lost my mind.  I pointed out that there has been no communication from her in his agenda that I have to sign every night and that we spoke once in January and she didn't seem nearly as concerned then about his problems.  All she could do is stutter and change the subject.  Needless to say he isn't going away for the summer like he was supposed to, but we were adamant about him NOT being held back.  My wife questioned her about his ranking and assessment, and she admitted that she does not do any state assessment of her students, but that she determines their grades.  How can this woman assess her students without having a basis for her assessment?

AdkRoy, isn't a requirement for all students to be assessed based on state requirements?

I found her statements hard to believe and most of them without merit.  I'll be the first to admit that my son is a little on the lazy side and does not yet feel the need to take the initiative to get things done on his own.  But she even went as far as to say that he should be labeled.  She even brought up that because his older brother is learning disabled, that he is most likely learning disabled as well.  Without knowing any of the fact's behind my oldest sons problem, she incorrectly made a diagnosis of my son in her class and took it upon her self to applied it to him.

I'm so mad this post probably doesn't even read correctly.  I had all I could do not to blow up on her in that room, and for anyone who knows me that's saying a lot.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

Pikeguy

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2006, 08:02 AM »
For her to sit there and tell you that he got B's but didn't earn B's pisses me off and I don't even have a child. Something should definitely be done about that teacher...if she can be called that. >:(

OTIS

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2006, 08:19 AM »
There's not much you can do.  She's in her upper 50's and has been teaching there since the dawn of time.  She's tenured and she's obviously there only to collect a pay check.  My wife is a teacher, and through her I have seen this on several occasions.  The bottom line is that he doesn't like doing his homework, when we drilled her as to specific problems that's all that came out.  she admitted that when he chooses to do the work, he does it on his own he is more that capable or at par with the rest of the students in his class.  I really got nothing more out of this meeting other that I need to ride him to make sure he's doing his homework.  We've always been there for the kids if they need help, so we know that isn't a problem.  My wife is bring home her state assessment, "Fox in a box" program to try and determine for ourselves where he stands.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2006, 09:59 AM »
OTIS,
    Sorry you have to deal with such a terrible teacher. Not all older teachers are that bad. Yes all students in NY grades 3-8 are now assessed in Math. Did this teacher have your older son? Unfortunately, some people hold grudges and take it out on other family members.  State assessments for grades 3-8 do not determine if a student goes to the next grade. They are used to see if a school is performing at a level the state says it should. I would love it if the state had all the assessments at the end of the year like they do for the regents in high school but they don't and it is a big pain in the butt.  How do you assess 5th grade Social Studies in October? :cookoo: Un fortunately I'm not in charge of State Ed. department. You could always talk to the school and see if they were will to assess him using an individual achievement test administered by the school psychologist to see if he needs services or not. Good luck and keep me informed on how it goes.

OTIS

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2006, 10:22 AM »
I agree, and don't want anyone to think that I'm implying that teachers are bad.  This is an individual with whom we are forced to deal with that thinks she doesn't have to follow the guidelines set up by the state.  She has done NO assessments of her students.  Luckily my wife is qualified and has the necessary materials to do so, most parents do not have this option.  We have agreed th have him tested by the school, but its late in the year and any results from the testing will not benefit him either way this year.

I commend you for caring for your students and trying to make a difference.  If there were more teachers like you and my wife, there would be a lot fewer horror stories like the one that started this thread.

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2006, 11:19 AM »
If the testing doesn't help him this year, if he is found to need services, it definitely will help him come the start of next school year.

Another story for all of you,

My students this week have been not exactly motivated to learn (it is getting nicer outside). They kept telling me that they didn't need to learn math or spelling. Well that did it. Yesterday I grabbed a Fast Food Resturant's job application and photocopied it. I then gave it to my students and told them that if they could fill the application out accurately, I would get off their case about learning math and spelling. Well here are some of the results. Out of 16 kids:

11 did not know what an area code was
7 did not know their home phone number
4 did not know their address
2 did not even know what street they lived on.
9 could not spell the name of their school correctly
Most did not know what hours availabe was.
Half of them asked me "how do I know if I am able to be legally employed in the U.S.?"
1 student asked what do they put down for birthdate.
3 did not know how to spell their middle names.

You should have seen their faces when I tried explaining what an area code was. Many said that I was wrong. They thought that the exchange for their town. Some thought the area code was the zipcode. I as was explaining area codes, I kept getting the comment "that's stupid". I always thought that parents taught their kids this stuff. I know I could recite my address in phone number by the time I went to kindergarten.  I can't wait until summer. I'll be teaching inmates, helping them get their G.E.D.'s. It shall be an interesting comparison.

1tigger

• Nothing like a Jitterbug in the dark !!
Re: What is the capital of the USA?(pg 3. The Job Application)
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2006, 11:31 AM »
IT might supprise you how smart some of them inmates really are !
Some of them just went down the wrong road and didnt use their brain .
Some of them are actually pretty smart .

buzzbomb

Re: What is the capital of the USA?(pg 3. The Job Application)
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2006, 12:21 PM »
And getting their GED will mean more to them than the benefits of graduating  mean to the students right now.  I had a great friend and hunting partner (now passed on) who got his GED when he was about 48 years old.  He'd fallen 38' onto concrete, ending a career as a swingin' dick ironworker and was getting some re-training from the government.  He was as proud of that certificate as he was of anything else he'd done.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.