FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Coming to Alaska in June  (Read 2778 times)

IceBalls

• I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Coming to Alaska in June
« on: Apr 08, 2007, 11:43 AM »
Never been to Alaska before but dreamed about it all my life.  Finally have a trip arranged for third week of June, staying ten days.  We'll be fishing for Halibut, Salmon, Trout and I've been told that our guide services will provide all tackle/lures/bait, but, I want to at least bring my own fly rod /flies.  Having never fished these waters before, I could use some advice from you local guys about what flies I should have with me.

We will be travelling all around Alaska, fishing in lakes, rivers, streams.  My favorite big water rod is an 8 weight with floating line --- is this adequate???   For smaller waters I use a 5-6 weight rod --- OK???  How about leader line test??? 

Any other advice you fellows can provide about "Hot" lures or special gear I should bring with me would be apreciated.

Thanks,

IceBalls  (Long Island, NY)

Barleydog

• Wishin' I was a fishin'
Re: Coming to Alaska in June
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2007, 04:04 AM »
Ice Balls what will you be targeting on the road system, and where are you planning on going?  Alaska is a very large state that has diverse opportunities and situations... 
4 - 5 wt. is perfect for our interior grayling and trout, but a little small for dollies and river bows in the south.  8 wt. works great for most trout, char, pike, and all species of salmon but king salmon.  Sockeyes, pinks, and coho are the normal target, and I manage both of them with my 8 wt....   
Egg sucking leach in multiple colors, egg patterns, beadheads, dries, oh heck there's a ton o' patterns out there and you'll beat yourself up just trying to match the river soooooo...... Go to a reputable fly shop in Anchorage or Fairbanks, (our metro areas) and ask them to hook you up with the hot patterns for the rivers and or lakes you wish to target.  This is really the slam dunk for a fly fisher!  They get all the hot intel and tips from tourists and local anglers alike.  If you have a specific body of water you fish, just list them and I'm sure someone here on MFF or myself have fished there.
If your lure fishing there's a hand full of lures that are a must!  1/2-3/4 oz. pixies in orange, pink, and green, #4 and 5 vibrax spinners in silver and green, pink, orange, etc... are all good bets for salmon.  Here again.. too many lures to mention without you telling us what your target is.
Just give us a little more specifics and we'll do our best to hook you up!  Hope your visit to the most beautiful place on earth is one to remember!  Fish on! 8)
Barleydog

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.