FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bluegills for bait  (Read 3087 times)

chrisfrank

Bluegills for bait
« on: Apr 04, 2004, 08:56 PM »
I like to use small bluegills for bass bait.  I've used them on occasion but have trouble getting the gills in the first place.  Any tips for catching small gills? 

SuperX2

• Giv'em The One Four
Re: Bluegills for bait
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2004, 06:07 AM »
I use a 1/100oz jighead and a very small piece of white plastic. I cut the tail up on a white mister twister into small strips and then thread one on the hook works everytime for 2-3" gills.  Bass will eat these little buggers like no tomorrow. I also trim the fins on the gills if the Bass are not too hungry.

chrisfrank

« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2004, 10:23 AM »
Thanks, i'll give that a try.  I like to gather small white perch with a cast net when targeting rockfish, but they dont allow these in most lakes i fish for bass.

MikeMo

• chasing water wolves
« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2004, 01:58 PM »
I use a very small swiss swinger works great for bluegill, perch and trout.

peple of the perch

« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2004, 07:46 PM »
i know a guy that caught a giil and then caught a 7lb bass on that gill and the gill got stuck in the bass mouth and the gill was still alive two fish with one lure

fastribs85

« Reply #5 on: Apr 11, 2004, 11:20 AM »
i had that happen was fishing off a dock a few years back and caught a 5 or 6 inch bluegill and it was on an old beat up spincast rod that barely worked with 4 pound test and this monster bass came up and hit it like three times and then just sucked it in sad part was so i didnt break the line i couldnt pull hard on the bass and he spit the gill back out after i tried to pull him out from under the dock probably would have been the biggest bass id ever caught :(
naked women and beer we got it all in here

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2004, 05:45 PM »
There is a lake in my area with stunted bluegills and bluegill hybrids and green sunfish that average 4" long. I just use the old standby: worm and a bubble near the weeds, get one every cast. Green Sunfish work the best as their fins aren't as sharp. Remember: hooking the fish through the mouth will give better action than anywhere else, This is your best bet!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.