FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Eating Crappies  (Read 19869 times)

Spin

Re: Eating Crappies
« Reply #15 on: Mar 14, 2009, 10:20 AM »
   If you want to fry them Marinate the fillets in a vinegar and oil Italian dressing for about 10 or 15mins the vinegar half pickles the flesh (whitens and firms it up-old trout trick but it works very well on white meated fish as well) pat the file ts dry chill, coat in a nice light tempura batter and fry to a light golden color. Serve with sweet & sour sauce or lemon & orange wedges.

Spin

Marcus

« Reply #16 on: Mar 15, 2009, 06:41 PM »
ice water bath    drag it through house autry seasoning (we really like the medium hot right now) fry in hot vegetable oil do not over do they can fall apart but they are excellent . I haven't much luck broiling small fillets?

chukkrok

« Reply #17 on: Apr 03, 2009, 08:04 AM »
Try Keebler Club crackers.... crush them with rolling pin, make sure you crush them to a fine consistency, and fry in  shallow oil in frying pan... (oh yeah , use an egg to help keep the breader mix on the fillet).I usually have my fillets soaking in cold water pror to cookiing..CRAPPIE ARE AWESOME

perchmasterson

« Reply #18 on: Apr 03, 2009, 06:56 PM »
just finished my first attempt at smoking crappies whole.  gutted and scaled, brined lightly like i would a salmon fillet, sugar cure for me.  then in smoker (really old refrigerator) they went.  2-3 hours of smoke, alder & mesquit,  then hot plate on medium low for 8-10 hours. lots of oil oozing from them and firm meated when done. local bosnians gave me the tip. a buddy  tried one and  asked to give me a 100 to do with me to keep half. they are good this way

HUNG BY THE TAIL UNTIL DONE

therealjt

« Reply #19 on: Apr 03, 2009, 07:01 PM »
i fillet them and soak in salt water overnight then i beer batter and fry in oil, never any soggy ones here

beer batter
1 part flour
1 part corn meal
beer so its like a pancake batter
cajun seasoning to taste
quoted from piker1
"flyfishing is just like eating popcorn , once ya start you can't stop lol ......"

jascpa099

« Reply #20 on: Apr 06, 2009, 02:11 PM »
Try Keebler Club crackers.... crush them with rolling pin, make sure you crush them to a fine consistency, and fry in  shallow oil in frying pan... (oh yeah , use an egg to help keep the breader mix on the fillet).I usually have my fillets soaking in cold water pror to cookiing..CRAPPIE ARE AWESOME

I like the cracker idea.  I always use the same procedure but sub bisquick for your crackers.  But I'm trying the crackers on the next fry

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #21 on: Apr 06, 2009, 02:16 PM »

Put a couple strips of Baccon in your oil.  :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

digger053

• just do it
« Reply #22 on: Apr 08, 2009, 03:43 AM »
ice water bath    drag it through house autry seasoning (we really like the medium hot right now) fry in hot vegetable oil do not over do they can fall apart but they are excellent . I haven't much luck broiling small fillets?

on low and slow thats how i like them with a little butter in dish with some seasoning
yummmmmmm oh

Scott Wright

• I can't right now... I've gotta go fishin!!
« Reply #23 on: Apr 19, 2009, 06:57 PM »
We just had our Team Maine Banquet and the first thing to run out on the buffet table was the deep fried crappie fillets!!

They are Awesome!! ;D
Scott Wright Carter

walkerd

• Cherish each day you dont know when it will end!!
« Reply #24 on: Apr 23, 2009, 06:56 AM »
Since Ive had my heart surgery I have to be careful of fat and salt. I have found a topping from Kroger's Ba-kin Miracle by Little Crow foods, cover fillet like shake and bake in a plastic bag, bake at a temp of 375 for approx 25 to 33 min depending on fillet size, and slurrppp, before I was a fanatic with fried fish, since trying baking oh my god they are sweet, tender, and scrump-delishush slurp. But I'm learning to bake about everything, cant beat it :P. Try it you'll like it :thumbup_smilie:. lol
dave

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #25 on: Apr 23, 2009, 05:38 PM »
Almost a year since I responded to this topic. Broiling is still my favorite, but......I've come to like them blackened even better.

Oh Baby....they're tasty. (Heart healthy too)

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Buckski

• Wish I had more days to fish!
« Reply #26 on: Apr 24, 2009, 02:03 PM »
Beer bater with cajun seasoning.

Or panko asian bread crumbs with your choice of seasoning I like the cajun.
The panko withh ruin you oil so filter it or throw it out.
Internet heros give it a rest!

BIGCREW

« Reply #27 on: Apr 24, 2009, 10:59 PM »
try a 1/2 cup viniger to 1/2 gallon water,bring to a boil drop in the fillets a few at a time when they float to the top and are a little curled up there done,you can add old bay to the water also,dip them in cocktail sause,can be eaten warm or cold

Spin

« Reply #28 on: Jun 21, 2009, 11:07 AM »
   BigCrew you're fish boil sounds great. I'm going to try it for certain.

Thanks
                                                                                             Spin

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #29 on: Jun 21, 2009, 01:22 PM »
The fish boil is awesome. I do mine cut up in peices. I dip them in a strainer basket then put them right on ice. A bit of salt, pepper, a squirt of lemon juice and cocktail sauce....YUM!

Try them warm with a mix of Franks and melted butter for dipping  :thumbup_smilie:

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.