FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Miss. Walleye  (Read 2414 times)

krappieslayer

Miss. Walleye
« on: May 26, 2009, 02:14 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has noticed this, but we do a lot of fishing up in pool 9 and we've been catching walleye like crazy off of spinner baits in no more than 5-6fow.  A variety of sizes including one lost at the boat that would of been awefully close to wall size.  We've caught them before this way, but usually few and far between and not in this particular spot.  We caught more walleye than bass and northern combined including 9 in an hour, all keeper size.  What gives??

I'll be going out again this weekend and I'll try to get some pics up, but really wanting to know what's going on.  We fish the spot regularly and have never encountered a walleye in this area.. are they lost??

BBK

Re: Miss. Walleye
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 09:41 AM »
Sounds to me like the are done spawning and chasing the bait fish. After they spawn up by the dams they will move downstream to the wingdams or to the banks to chase the baitfish for food. They will move with the food sometimes over a mile. If the foods out in 12 FOW the eyes will be in 12 ft, if the food is in 2 ft of water the eyes will be in 2 ft of water. Some people think eyes are a deep water fish that stays on the bottom and that's not true. I have caught them on topwater frogs in 2 foot of water before. I have also caught them in 5-6 fow on a slip bobber set 2-3ft. Bottom line is that they will move anywhere the baitfish move. Next time you go, try throwing a shad colored shallow crankbait. I bet you can fill the boat.

slowpick

Re: Miss. Walleye
« Reply #2 on: Jun 10, 2009, 08:47 PM »
sounds fun though

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.