FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: My tips for crappie  (Read 1952 times)

fshnnut

• No place I'd rather be, 'cept (ice)fishin' !!!
My tips for crappie
« on: Mar 26, 2010, 08:48 PM »
1st and foremost: Get out of the freakin house!!!

Seriously though, I tip small 1/16 and 1/32 oz tube jigs w/ small pieces of crawlers and start hittin the narrows at CJ or in coves and off points at Brownlee. Just figured out when the sky is cloudy a red/white does the most good. If it's sunny that still works but something w/ dark colors is just as effective.

If any of you have something you do different please share. It's not like this is going on the evening news just to us diehard fishing folks here.  8)
Jigger Totter King

BlueDuck

Re: My tips for crappie
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2010, 09:30 AM »
I do the same only tipped with a magot.   I use smaller 1" tubes early and then switch to a 1 1/2" tube about july.   The smaller tube jigs seem to work better earlier in the year.......  Red and White is my go to color.

riske

« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2010, 09:41 AM »
I too like white tubes for crappies.  but it tip them with a crappie nugget.  super lite action rod a small bobber and 4lb line.  I find alot around the shores on Hauser. 

fshnnut

• No place I'd rather be, 'cept (ice)fishin' !!!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2010, 09:38 PM »
Ok, in all honesty, I have to update my tips. Went to CJ on sun and caught 38 crappie. It was windy 10-20mph and cloudy. According to my earlier post I would go to red/white so I tried one pole w/ r/w and one w/ perch green/yellow. Surprisingly enough only caught one crappie on the r/w out of my first nine fish and so I switched the other pole over to green/yellow and started getting doubles steadily.

Just a tip for those of you brave enough to go out on CJ in the wind it seemed like the wind pushed the crappie down to about 36'. Just a word of warning, bring a second anchor it took 2 to hold my boat once they hooked up on the bottom.
Jigger Totter King

perchmasterson

« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2010, 01:21 AM »
a dab of gary yamamoto fish attractant that comes in the tube  ;)
the color of your jig just isn't very important anymore.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.