FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 561033 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #165 on: Jun 21, 2010, 11:24 AM »
i was  thinking the  goose !!! lol hey thanks  that  worked!!!!!!!
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #166 on: Jun 21, 2010, 04:36 PM »
Glad you guys had fun with that. It struck me as funny.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #167 on: Jun 22, 2010, 08:01 AM »
FM  your  mail  box is  full!!!! 

i left  you a  message  in one  of  the  threads   THANK  YOU  worked  great!!!! like  ac  in the  truck!!!! if  i load  the  cooler  with  a  bag  of ice  and   couple  gallons  of  cold  water it  last about  3 hours!  i'm  headed  north on a trip  but i'll  be checking in on my  phone ...  how  was the  yak?

rg  if  you can  send  me  your  addy  again i have a  care  package   i'm  putting  together  for  you  along with  some  foam  bodys  ...quilty  bench time    ;D

i hope  to put  a  hurting on some  gills  and  bass  this  week  but  i have  my trout  stuff  with me ,  i think i may need to  start  hauling a trailer with me  just to carry all the  stuff i never use  with me ...eight  fly  boxes  in my  vest  and i  get stuck on  one fly anyways   ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #168 on: Jun 22, 2010, 08:11 AM »
Good luck out there Trap, we'll see ya when ya get back to civilization!
That yak was quite an experience out there in the middle of deer creek, getting towed around by Northerns and Bass. Couple times thought I was gonna roll her. Had a ball though.

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #169 on: Jun 22, 2010, 08:17 AM »
Oh, yeah......got my flyrod yesterday. Its a 6 wt 9 ft. S.A., Now I need a lesson or 10...lol ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #170 on: Jun 22, 2010, 07:30 PM »
Hang on a bit Trap...I have a box of stuff for you as well. Maybe we should just wait a week or so and mount that expedition ::)

We can trade then. I'm like a little kid waiting for Christmas. I pick up the new "Toon" on Friday :clapping:

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

1fish@atime

« Reply #171 on: Jun 22, 2010, 07:43 PM »
Practice.... My Dad took an old fly, turned the point up and a little piece of tape on it. To avoid my injuring myself...LOL Wish he had done the same with the lure I was tossing in the yard and yanked back into my forehead.
Just remember, wait to feel the rod loading behind you. Most problems are on the back cast. I had my son lift the line, swing it back and let it lay like the forward cast. When he had it laying out straight then try to complete the motion to forward. He learned pretty quickly. Helps learn the angle needed to keep the line from wrapping up on itself. When you get to the stream work close. A long cast takes a bit of practice. Go after fish in areas you can reach with a 15-18' cast. Double your pole length. Oh and when that first fish raises on your fly just lift the pole up. No need for a two handed hook set lol. You'll still be quick on some, but it's still fun to have them go after your offering. Most of all have fun, and relax. Flyfishing is a more sedate side of the sport. I'm sure you'll have fun!!
Oh, yeah......got my flyrod yesterday. Its a 6 wt 9 ft. S.A., Now I need a lesson or 10...lol ;D

1fish@atime

« Reply #172 on: Jun 22, 2010, 07:48 PM »
On a different note, I have been seeing salmon rising every morning when we go out for lakers. So I tied a few flies this afternoon. Figured maybe shut the boat down and toss a few for them. Or maybe troll a couple patterns to see if I can pick one up.

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #173 on: Jun 23, 2010, 12:17 AM »
Practice.... My Dad took an old fly, turned the point up and a little piece of tape on it. To avoid my injuring myself...LOL Wish he had done the same with the lure I was tossing in the yard and yanked back into my forehead.
Just remember, wait to feel the rod loading behind you. Most problems are on the back cast. I had my son lift the line, swing it back and let it lay like the forward cast. When he had it laying out straight then try to complete the motion to forward. He learned pretty quickly. Helps learn the angle needed to keep the line from wrapping up on itself. When you get to the stream work close. A long cast takes a bit of practice. Go after fish in areas you can reach with a 15-18' cast. Double your pole length. Oh and when that first fish raises on your fly just lift the pole up. No need for a two handed hook set lol. You'll still be quick on some, but it's still fun to have them go after your offering. Most of all have fun, and relax. Flyfishing is a more sedate side of the sport. I'm sure you'll have fun!!

Thanks for the tips 1fish, I read, then reread a couple of times just to sure myself that I did not miss a valid point! Not quite sure yet why I want to venture into such a technical genre' of the fishing world....but I am just gonna follow my instincts and see what happens. We can blame alot of this on Trapper! ;D

Gamma Fish

« Reply #174 on: Jun 23, 2010, 02:03 AM »
Thanks for the tips 1fish, I read, then reread a couple of times just to sure myself that I did not miss a valid point! Not quite sure yet why I want to venture into such a technical genre' of the fishing world....but I am just gonna follow my instincts and see what happens. We can blame alot of this on Trapper! ;D
The way you work your magic on a motor vehicle, casting a fly should be no problem !     ;) ;)  I believe "Technical" should be your middle name ! ;) ;)

BTW......the van runs like new !!!    Thanks again !!
Plastics are Fantastic !

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #175 on: Jun 23, 2010, 02:57 AM »
It ain't that technical! You're just throwing the line instead of a lure. The fly goes along for the ride. You can practice the old "10 o'clock - 2 o'clock all you want....the stream is a different place. In the end, you just make it do what you want it to.

You're (I assume) a mechanical kind of guy. So am I. Tools are tools. You already know how to use them.

However....there is one technique that you need to practice and will be the same on any water you fish.

The "Roll Cast"
Joan Wulff, Roll Casting

You NEED to learn how to do this! Or just hire Trapper to tie you an endless supply of flies to replace the ones hanging in the trees ;D

RG

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #176 on: Jun 23, 2010, 03:16 AM »
Oh!....and ....buy a wide brim straw hat.

Helps keep the flies out of your ears ;D
RG

Gamma Fish

« Reply #177 on: Jun 23, 2010, 10:29 AM »
It ain't that technical! You're just throwing the line instead of a lure. The fly goes along for the ride. You can practice the old "10 o'clock - 2 o'clock all you want....the stream is a different place. In the end, you just make it do what you want it to.

You're (I assume) a mechanical kind of guy. So am I. Tools are tools. You already know how to use them.

However....there is one technique that you need to practice and will be the same on any water you fish.

The "Roll Cast"
Joan Wulff, Roll Casting

You NEED to learn how to do this! Or just hire Trapper to tie you an endless supply of flies to replace the ones hanging in the trees ;D

RG

That's the only cast I use !      As my Uncle Nunzio always said  "Whatsa behinda me, does nota concerna me"  ;D ;D ;D
Plastics are Fantastic !

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #178 on: Jun 23, 2010, 01:25 PM »
Oh!....and ....buy a wide brim straw hat.

Helps keep the flies out of your ears ;D
RG

I was thinking more in line of a kevlar beanie for my noggin! ;D

KingPerch Jr.

• SOCCER: Gotta love it!!
« Reply #179 on: Jun 23, 2010, 01:29 PM »
I was thinking more in line of a kevlar beanie for my noggin! ;D
Thats what i would go with so the flies[fishing wise] and bugs off and outta ya if you know what i mean!!!!--- KPJr.
Red Sox!
Bartel Road Bait and Tackle

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.