FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 561056 times)

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #240 on: Jul 08, 2010, 12:54 AM »
Oh yeah, forgot to let ya guys know that I spent my weekend camping with family and friends at the old flatrock (jellystone now) campgrounds in Mexico, on Little Salmon River. Brought my new flyrod that Mr. Gamma hooked me up with. Simply tied on a 4 foot mono leader with Some of Trappers self made flys. Took me a bit to get oriented with the most basic flip casting technique I read about and learned from you guys here...... But over the 3 days that I fished, I must have caught over a hundred creek chubs! No kidding, it was a friggin riot for me. Sorry if this bores anyone, cause they were only chubs, but I had a ball on my first outing with the flyrod. Could not ask for a better weekend....well unless I happened to hook a nice trout or something! Thanks for all the info. and help men, Ya made my weekend!

prchslyr

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #241 on: Jul 08, 2010, 05:33 AM »
Trap,
Thanks a bunch!

Gamma,
I mastered BAIT fishing when I was a kid. Sure, I'm good at it. I can catch fish REALLY fast when I bait it.
But, it gets old. I'm not faithful to bait. Gotta mix it up a bit. I just gotta get me a really big hat so I don't end up with any sores when I'm out there...from flying hooks of course!

fm,
That's what it's all about man! Fun!
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.

1fish@atime

« Reply #242 on: Jul 08, 2010, 06:26 AM »
 :rotflol: :clapping:

Continued good stuff guys!! I really look forward to opening this post in the morning for a chuckle or a smile.
FM yours made me smile. A fish is a fish!! They all hook up the same basically, so if your catching them your learning quick!! Glad to offer any info I can to help another fisherman grow in the outdoor sports. Kind of like when I'm out, like seeing someone else catching as much as catching them myself. Maybe even more, if it's something they have never done.
Slyr, you may be a master"bait" fisherman but I seem to recall your posts on the shanty. Something about getn Jiggy wid it!!.....Trap gave some great advice in his post. I have been messing with floating beetles. Used a little gold fingernail polish and made some Japanese beetles. Something I'm contemplating is to weight the top of the body somehow, so it will lay on it's back in the water. Like one would that just dropped onto the water.
Hard to beat a Caddis now until Sept. I've also had good results from a smaller Brown Dunn, I strip some of the hackle down to make the wings a little more prominent. Kind of like a mosquito. Have seen some real good mosquito patterns but I can't tie one for beans.....

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #243 on: Jul 08, 2010, 11:44 AM »
fish  for  your  jap  beetle  get  brown  foam    tie  it  in reverse  .....cut  a  strip of  foam  attach it  to hook  shank!  and  really  wind  it  down   then  use  peacock herl  over  this  ....  pull  the  tag  of foam  from  the  back  tight toward  head  and  tie  down  ...now  if  you want it  upside  down  simply  roll it  around  the  shank!  attach  rubber  leggs     and  a  white  piece  of  foam  super glued   so you can see the  fly .... fabric paint  of  sharpie  markers   work  great  and  you  can  get a  gold that matches  a  j  beetle  pretty  close  ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

1fish@atime

« Reply #244 on: Jul 08, 2010, 12:09 PM »
Thanks Trap. I tried one the other night with a small spilt shot cut in half and super glued. It would hit the water and then on the first twitch would flip over. What I was looking for, but the weight only lasted a few casts. Going to try to pocket the foam with the weight inserted. Some of my discoveries have been when a fly just doesn't perform as your hoping it to, either not floating, or maybe something falls off of it. And it catches fish. I saw a feeding frenzy one afternoon on J. beetles. The wind was blowing pretty good and they were blowing into the river. The fish were going nuts.
OH and Slyr I forgot one for your ponds. A deer fly. With the heat they are very thick right now.

trapper2000

« Reply #245 on: Jul 08, 2010, 12:21 PM »
Thanks Trap. I tried one the other night with a small spilt shot cut in half and super glued. It would hit the water and then on the first twitch would flip over. What I was looking for, but the weight only lasted a few casts. Going to try to pocket the foam with the weight inserted. Some of my discoveries have been when a fly just doesn't perform as your hoping it to, either not floating, or maybe something falls off of it. And it catches fish. I saw a feeding frenzy one afternoon on J. beetles. The wind was blowing pretty good and they were blowing into the river. The fish were going nuts.
OH and Slyr I forgot one for your ponds. A deer fly. With the heat they are very thick right now.

hey try  lead  tape  you  can  cut it  down to the weight you  want  and  either use  some  zap a gap  or  super  glue

trapper2000

« Reply #246 on: Jul 08, 2010, 04:03 PM »

basic   beetle spider  fly   simply  spin it  on  hook  ...  the  yellow  on  top is   just so i  can  see  the  fly ,  the  bottom  is  peacock herl   which  shines  the  same  colors  as  a  jap.   beetle  ...hope  it  helps  ya   fish  but  post  a  pic  of  what  you  come  up with buddy

1fish@atime

« Reply #247 on: Jul 08, 2010, 04:24 PM »
Neat, I will. With the heat I haven't been out to the garage to tie anything in a few days. Maybe tomorrow, it's supposed to rain so maybe it will cool off some... ::)
I looked at the peacock and found the feather you used. Better than the nail polish lol.
Good tip with the yellow foam to see them. I have a problem with them, course I can't see very well to start with, was a master"bait" fisherman myself.........Slyr...... :evil: :whistling:

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #248 on: Jul 08, 2010, 05:37 PM »
You mean like these 1fish?

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #249 on: Jul 08, 2010, 06:01 PM »
A few more experiments ::)

Working well I might add.

It's a horrible addiction :-\

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #250 on: Jul 08, 2010, 06:32 PM »
 ;D  ;D ;D ;D you guys are something else. can you say addicted or what    ::) ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #251 on: Jul 08, 2010, 06:39 PM »
The bumble bees are trapper's fault!

RG

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #252 on: Jul 08, 2010, 06:50 PM »
HT, your an addict yourself bud...who are you calling the kettle black? ;)
Couple pics my wife took of our outing this past weekend at Jellystone campgrounds!

My boy Trevor and his friend playing, I think she popped this pic as I was setting the hook on a chub . The guy next to me is fishing on one of my walleye rods.
He didn't do so well! ???

Kids doing some tubing

My buddys daughter on the bank. I set her up drift fishing with a jig head tipped with worm on her own zebco 404, and she caught about 15 chubs in 2 hrs.

trapper2000

« Reply #253 on: Jul 08, 2010, 07:32 PM »
  i  caught  my  first  salmon  about  100  yards  down  stream  from there  fm   us  to  fish  and  swim that  when i was a  kid!!!!   that  river  still  gets  a  good  run of  browns  and  steelies   ;D...glad  you  and  the  family had  fun ,  nice  people  own  that  camp too!

trapper2000

« Reply #254 on: Jul 08, 2010, 07:34 PM »
  haha  RG   next  i'm   posting  a  whitlock  hopper   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.